Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

in dire need of cheap power
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
924 turbo  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2001 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are your goals for the car? Do you have to keep the 924? You'd be better off starting with a 924 turbo or 924S, unless you're doing class-based racing or just like a challenge. The 924 handles great, but it's not fast. And it's not easy to make fast, either.
Samantha  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2001 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My last experience with NOS lead to two melted pistons and an entire (expensive) engine rebuild. Like I said, I am not sure if it could handle a blower, the boost would probably blow some gaskets. And selling the car is not an option. I am a student in high school, and the car was a gift. I can not afford a new car because of money budgets, which I previously mentioned. I looked into getting it ported and polished. I think that that option is looking the best right now.
AlthePA  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you say you are on a budget, if you must have more power, the only cost-effective option for you is to sell your car and get a 931, 924S or a 944. These can be had in good driveable condition for a cost which would surely be less than the total of what you have in your current 924 plus any modifications you could do to your car, which would still probably end up being less powerful than a 931, 924S or 944 even if modified. If you shop especially carefully, you might even be able to get a 944S or even a 951 for not too much more - seen it done a couple of times lately.

The 924's are best enjoyed as a low-power but great-handling little car, unless you don't mind spending a big pile of pennies on internal engine work...

Regards,
Al
Peter_in_AU  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2001 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, on the other hand, read your last post. Get the head done. Then the exhaust system then a cam upgrade and perhaps the bigger throttle body.

After that, if you're into driving out of the city, tighten up the suspension.

Do the mods one at a time and enjoy each one.

You did look at the Tips & Tricks on Jon McC's site right. It's all there.
924 turbo  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2001 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I don't get the budget thing. If you're going to have enough to spend $500 on headwork, or god knows how much on a blower, you've got enough to buy a 924 turbo, or maybe a not-quite-perfect 924S. If you have to keep the car, it's because it was a gift, and has nothing to do with money.

Were I you, I'd spend the money on suspension stuff instead, and just strip weight out of the car. It'll be much more fun. Get a set of Konis or Bilsteins, and maybe some lowering springs for the front. You can lower the back enough to match with a bolt in the suspension. I highly recommend the 5-bolt brake swap as well.
eturbo924  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2001 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much money do you have to spend.
Figure around $400-$600 for the head work.
$50-$75 gasket kit
$120 or so for cam grind
$50 (not sure?)for new tappet screws to take up increased lash due to new cam.
$189 for good header from MSDS. (more for ceramic coating which I suggest)
So you are looking at an easy $1000.... and that is with you doing the tear down and re-assembly. If the car is a gift and like you said it is out of the question to sell and upgrade.... well the head and exhaust is the best route to power. You could also go with higher compression by purchasing new pistons... but that can be another $500 plus for those.

Best to do some head work and pull out all the extra weight. My car with port/polish, cam and exhaust... plus some dieting has droped 1 sec off of 0-60 time. That is not exact but quick run with wrist watch slowed before and after difference of 1 plus sec.

Car is now in shop for body work and paint... cost more than the engine work! But never selling so in my case worth it.

See my cars story at site below.

Eric
http://www.geocities.com/eturbo924
AppleBit  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2001 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for the positive posts on my site I do enjoy modifying not only my Porsche 924 but friends cars as well (Honda's / Saturns and the such)

What I have discovered it dollar for dollar the Porsche 924 and for example a Saturn- you can spend the same amount of money and get the same increase in power for $ vs. $

What I have actually discovered though is the 924 has other items that can be modified at a more reasonable cost and also other things to add on to the Porsche 924 that allow it to be modified even further than most cars that people like to tweek.

Weight is most definetly the first thing that needs to go on the 924. On how extreme you want to go determines how fast you want to go too

- Jon

Porsche 924 Wide Body LS1 Corvette 500 Horsepower Engine
Samantha  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2001 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

924 TURBO, the money issue really isnt that complicated. Like I said before, I dont think that my car could handle a blower, and I have yet to seriously consider adding one. As for the port and polish job, I can get that done for free, which obviously eleminates any money issue, and it would be the perfect oppertunity to do a little deep engine work. I already have a performance exaust (which I am trying to sell if anyone is interested). Get it now?
Dave  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2001 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What??? Why would you get head work done to increase HP and then go and sell your performance exhaust. If you use both then you will make more HP. See if there is anything for you porsche on http://www.huntleyracing.com
Samantha  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2001 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I actually just wanted to get a different exaust system.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: