Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Stereo Installation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
D Hook  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2001 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to find a good place to hook up the stereo hot wires. One should run straight to the battery or a constant hot like the cig. lighter, the other, according to the manual, should run to a switched hot. Where do you guys find a switched hot? Is there an accessory plug on the fuse panel? Can I wire it straight to the ignition switch? I've already got a constant hot coming from the battery so that's no problem. But can't figure out the best place to wire the switched hot. Any help would be appreciated.

kevrl  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2001 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Later cars (81 on - I think ?) have a 'radio relay'. When you put the key in the ignition - dont turn it, just put it in, you will hear a 'click' coming from near the center console. Just to the left of the center console fastened to the plastic case of the heater matrix is a small square gray relay. One of the wires coming from this will be a switched + (I don't remember which colour) . It's switched on when you put the key in the ignition (hence the click).

I'm not sure if earlier cars are the same.

Good luck !

Kevin
D Hook  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2001 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin:

Thanks, yes I've seen that relay. Wasn't too sure what it was for. That will work very well.

Maybe that should be in the FAQ on the old Garage page?
D Hook  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2001 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found the relay and also found another wire w/nothing hooked to it, just a shielded spade terminal, green wire, that is also switched. May have been for rear wiper or something like that. Anyway, I'll use that one until I can get the rear wiper hooked up and running.

Now I've got to just put the whole dash back together, after installing the white gauge faces. Looking forward to it!

Thanks again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: