Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Boosterless
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ideola  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:53 am    Post subject: Boosterless Reply with quote

Just curious what the relative pros and cons would be of converting to fully manual brakes, i.e. no booster. I have heard of guys doing this to improve the "brake feel" (along the lines of having manual vs. power-assisted steering). I know there was at one time a booster-delete kit available for the 944, but they don't seem to be readily available, and I've only seen it referenced once on a car listed over on Pelican.

Thoughts?
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find a hill to roll down and test them without assist. . .you may not like it, pedal effort is extremely high.
bass gt  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rasta,

if you go boosterless, you need to change the master cylinder sizes to get the feel.
Dan, whats your thinking behind this? I have a Tilton pedal box in my race car, and loveit!! i need to size down the cylinders, as they feel a little wooden, but the feedback is great. You can really feel whats happening at the tyre. If you do this, how will you achieve it? What pedal/cylinder system will you employ?

Steve
StienbargerR  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a project car that had a Vortec and they had to convert to manual brakes. They had an old 911 MC in it. The brakes seemed alright, I only drove it a handful of times, but it wasn't bad at all.

Ryan
Martijnus  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bass gt wrote:
rasta,

if you go boosterless, you need to change the master cylinder sizes to get the feel.
Dan, whats your thinking behind this? I have a Tilton pedal box in my race car, and loveit!! i need to size down the cylinders, as they feel a little wooden, but the feedback is great. You can really feel whats happening at the tyre. If you do this, how will you achieve it? What pedal/cylinder system will you employ?

Steve

If you change master cylinders to change feel, this always will affect your displacement. In its turn this will affect how accurate you can brake... right?

Bigger pump, more displacement, less accuracy, more effort...can't remember what this does to the 'feel'...

924 "50-jahre", 1981.
MSII/extra, LPG, ITB's, 5lug.
To be turbo'ed in a while.
Killed her at the Nurburgring, Porscheless at the moment
ideola  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bass gt wrote:

The primary thought behind this was to provide more direct feedback. It's just theoretical from my perspective, based on stuff that I've read about what other racers and enthusiasts have done in other hi performance cars. The analogy I've read more than once is the manual vs. power steering situation: direct feedback thru a manual system is usually preferred to power assist, especially the bland flavors that are typically delivered in factory packages (although our cars may not suffer as much from that effect).

Of course, the irony is that I'm considering power steering in the UWB car to help prevent fatigue due to the heavy steering feel I am anticipating given tires and wheel choices. (I should have brackets very soon that will allow me to adapt the 924S setup to the early cross member, and I'll be running the PS pump with an electric motor).

But relative to the brakes, it was really just musing about whether better pedal feel could be obtained with a manual setup. I haven't worked out ANY details relative to pedals or cylinders, which is why I posted the question. The stock feel isn't really that bad, I suppose, and I don't have track experience to really know if it would be a worthwhile or foolish exercise.

It's just the way my brain works...you know my approach on this project: I'm not accepting existing paradigm on the car just because it's there...in other words, question everything and rationalize every little nuance and detail. Everything will be done and executed for a specific purpose. There are some limitations based on budget (i.e., unlike SOME people I know, I won't be deploying a 968 LSD gearbox or ABS brakes [envy envy envy]); but there's still a LOT that can be done to bring the car close the pinnacle of 931-ness
bass gt  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok,

This is just my 10p, so take it as you will.
having removed the servo'd brakes in my racer, and replaced them with a non assisted set up comprising a Tilton pedal box and bias balance bar, i have to say the feeling is great. For example, under race conditions, i can tell when my slicks are just about to lock, whereas i find on many servo assisted systems, when you jump onto the middle pedal, the brakes will lock, which of course means you need to lift off and re apply. No weven though my cyinder sizes are less than ideal, ie they give too little pedal stroke and have a slightly wooden feel, this will be alleviated by fitting smaller cylinders, which increase the stroke, but will impart more scope for modulation. I also think it beneficial in left foot braking, where the ability to gauge initial pressure can be difficult to learn. Finally, i think it brings something to the art of driving, as it gives far more feedback as you are directly connected to each corner. So whether this is required on a road car is moot in my opinion. I think it comes down to whether you want to add a greater level of depth into the driving experience.
Finally, show me a true race car with servo'd brakes, and i'll eat a courgette!!

Steve
Martijnus  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="ideola"]
bass gt wrote:

It's just the way my brain works...you know my approach on this project: I'm not accepting existing paradigm on the car just because it's there...in other words, question everything and rationalize every little nuance and detail.

I share this property. I think it's a good thing... makes you understand why things are done and makes you interested how (and why) things could be made better (or worse due to your modifications).

If you can't do this, you'll never be able to improve anything, you just 'know' the stuff someone has done/used before.

Same with my EFI, I don't know anyone who's got it running on a NA... undoubtly there are people... but I haven't seen them... I just had to figure all the modifications out myself and had to reason why I should or shouldn't do certain things.

924 "50-jahre", 1981.
ideola  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Steve, when you are referring to the "cylinders", can you clarify which cylinders you are referring to? in the caliper, or are you referring to the master? Which ones are you using? I have several to pick from as follows:
931 stock
944 early stock
951 early stock
951 brembos

All of these are sitting on the shelf, awaiting rebuild. My current line of thinking was to go with 944 booster & master cylinder + the brembos, but if I go boosterless, would I need to rethink those calipers?

And by the way, I really like the way you expressed it: "greater level of depth into the driving experience". That is ultimately what I'm striving for!

Oh, one more thing, eliminating the booster also gets rid of the tiny bit of concern I have over possible interference between my custom intake and the brake booster. I've measured it all up, but that was based on stock, worn engine mounts, and the tolerance will be close...I won't know until I get the engine back together and into the car just how much room is there! But I have other provisions in mind should that turn out to be an issue. I'm more interested in the "driving experience"
bass gt  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By cylinders. i mean the master cylinders. I currently have 7/8th of an inch for front and rear circuits, but those will be coming down 2 sizes. If you are looking to reain the stock cylinders from any Porsche model, be very careful, as these were sized to be used with a servo. Hence, with no vacuum assistance, they feel like a block of wood. If you are really serious about this, go to the Tilton website. They have a form you can fill out and the tech guys will recommend front & rear master cylinder sizes. Irrespective of whether you actually use a Tilton product, their recommendation will be pretty close. Then look at their catalogue and see the incremental step sizes. Each step gives a significant change. Now compare to the Porsche master cylinder sizes and see how close you get. I think Tilton offer cylinders in 1/8th" steps.
You will need to tell them everything, such as wheel sizes, brake sizes, car weight, brake piston sizes ect.
Don't forget, i have a complete Tilton pedal box installed. All original pedals have been removed

Steve
fiat22turbo  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys do know that all of this can be calculated out, right?

There were a couple of great brake articles written up over the years that go into depth on brake pedal ratio, master cylinder sizing, adjustable brake bias, caliper piston sizing, etc.

Grassroots Motorsports did a couple, so has Circle Track Magazine (don't laugh, there was a lot of great information there)

http://www.scirocco.org/faq/brakes/pulpfriction/pfpage1.html

http://www.ffcobra.com/FAQ/brakes3.html

http://circletrack.automotive.com/10835/139-0401-brake-system-tech-tips/index.html

http://circletrack.automotive.com/10856/brake-system-tech-terminology-setup/index.html

There are also some great books available from Pegasus Auto-racing, Steve smith Publishing, Motorbooks, etc about chassis and braking. I tend to prefer Carroll Smith's books first, before delving into books on a specific subject.
Raceboy  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martijnus wrote:

Same with my EFI, I don't know anyone who's got it running on a NA... undoubtly there are people... but I haven't seen them....

I made EFI conversion to my NA in 2006 prior to turbocharging nd posted thred about it too with pics

I plan switching stock MC/booster setup to Tilton pedal box on my rcecr when car gets running, glad this topic has come up.
'78 924 Carrera GT replica
'84 928 S, sold
'91 944 S2, sold
'82 924S/931 "Gulf", sold
'84 924, turbocharged, sold.
http://www.facebook.com/vemsporsche
ideola  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the info I posted on Tilton's online form:
Front Brake Information
Number of pistons within each front caliper: 4
Are pistons on one side or both sides of caliper: both
Diameter of pistons on one side of caliper (list all):
- Piston 1: 36 mm
- Piston 2: 36 mm
- Piston 3: 40 mm
- Piston 4: 40 mm
Front rotor diameter: 298 mm

Rear Brake Information
Number of pistons within each rear caliper: 4
Are pistons on one side or both sides of caliper: both
Diameter of pistons on one side of caliper (list all):
- Piston 1: 20 mm
- Piston 2: 20 mm
- Piston 3: 30 mm
- Piston 4: 30 mm
Rear rotor diameter: 299 mm

General Information
Tilton pedal assembly part number: 72-680
Vehicle weight (with driver and fuel): 2200 pounds
Vehicle Weight Distribution (with driver and fuel): 51 / 49
Vehicle wheelbase: 94.5 in.
Front tire diameter (outer): 24 in
Rear tire diameter (outer): 24 in
What is the vehicle being used for: road racing

The pedal assembly I listed is the floor mount version of the 600 series. For some reason, the 900 series wasn't available in the drop down list. I'll post back when I get their recommendations. These specs are based on stock 1986 951 brake setup as best I was able to determine. The tire diameter is the smallest allowable on 16" rims based on IMSA rules, so I used that measurement. Weight & weight distribution are estimates.
Martijnus  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raceboy wrote:
Martijnus wrote:

Same with my EFI, I don't know anyone who's got it running on a NA... undoubtly there are people... but I haven't seen them....

I made EFI conversion to my NA in 2006 prior to turbocharging nd posted thred about it too with pics

I plan switching stock MC/booster setup to Tilton pedal box on my rcecr when car gets running, glad this topic has come up.

ah wicked! I only knew you had the tb's after the turbo.
Can you url me? I'm interested in your experience, performance, runner length etc.

924 "50-jahre", 1981.
Raceboy  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I had VEMS installed on totally stock 924 euro engine, no ITB's if you mean that.
'78 924 Carrera GT replica
'84 928 S, sold
'91 944 S2, sold
'82 924S/931 "Gulf", sold
'84 924, turbocharged, sold.
http://www.facebook.com/vemsporsche
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: