Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Why hasn't the topic of phenolic spacers come up before???
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bruni  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just think you should be more objective, you are quoting an article published 8 years ago by someone selling the product he is writing about. he quotes his own tests which at best are vague and inconclusive. The key data which he makes no mention of is the air inlet temperature as it enters the cylinder head. In any event without independent testing his results are meaningless. When I see Phenolic spacers on a world rally car I will be converted
ideola  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scorpio wrote:
Lets go Dan lets go....!! lets go Dan lets go..!!!

Easy Scorpio! Sorry, bruni, I was a little cranky earlier!

Let's try again...

I didn't just research this at Autospeed. There are a number of reputable companies making and reselling phenolic spacers, including Summit, JEGS, Canton, Moroso, 034 Motorsport, BBK, Edelbrock and others. There are a wide range of applications ranging from huge HP big blocks and muscle cars to high revving tuners. Unlike a lot of the snake-oil products foisted on unsuspecting consumers (like electric superchargers, for example), phenolics appear to be widely accepted in the performance aftermarket by both manufacturers, resellers, and consumers. In fact, according to European Car, the 2007 Mercedes E55 AMG came stock from the factory with phenolic spacers, and I've seen reference to them being used in the new Audi S4. Furthermore, phenolics have been in use for a LONG time by the muscle car crowd to prevent heat conduction to carburetors. Instinctively, all of these factors tell me there is more to the story than just a bunch of hype.

Here are some results from different companies (click to go to the original source):

Now, I know these tests were done by the company. But I have a point to make: how many times in these forums do people introduce a new idea or product? The conversation goes something like this:

Inventor: I have a new widget that will produce X results and improve performance by X amount, blah blah
ForumMember: Cool! How much?
Inventor: $$$
ForumMember: Hmm. I'll buy it if it's $
Inventor: I can produce it for $$ in volume. How many do you want.
ForumMember: Well, before I buy, where's your dyno plot?
Inventor: Right here.
ForumMember: Nah, I don't believe it'll do what you say. Come back when you have an objective independent sanctioning body to certify your results

I'm being somewhat tongue in cheek, of course, but I think you get my point. It's fine to be skeptical. But in the TRUE interest of furthering our cause, I'm asking you to kindly be more constructive in your criticism. If you don't believe the dyno plots, then please be specific and explain why. I'll be more than happy to relay the concerns to a few knowledgeable folks I know here in the motor city, and I'm sure we can get some objective info. I don't mind healthy skepticism...it just sort of felt like you were taking pot shots from the sidelines without anything backing it up.
tuurbo  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruni I agree. I've just taken a peek through a few avenues of my own and I'm unimpressed with the quality and the quantity of evidence supporting the claim. But I don't really know the engineering literature.

Just like the electric supercharger, the phenolic spacers are in a price range that permits a bit of 'faith', if you will. The electric supercharger and the phonelic spacers differ, I think, in that the former isn't feasible on the face of it, with humble HP gains. Plus they make a horrible noise. But phenolic spacers are using materials that we do have reason to think will slow or retard heat transfer.

I see phenolic spacers as being worth the bet of $150 to try it out. Here's why.

At the time water injection was used in WWII aircraft, there was little if any information available to the general public on the validity of the claims of water injection. Further, it wouldn't be until 1993 or 1994 before the internet became available to everyone. Yet in the early 1980's, water methanol injection was being used in Formula One by Renault, Ferrari, even (I think later) Cosworth, and was later banned by F1. It was even used for similar purposes by Boeing. Yet there was nary a write up in local libraries at the time outlining the virtues of it, or studying it seriously. So had you searched you would have come up empty.

Bruni I like your example of air not having contact with the walls of the intake for very long. I think I get what you mean. But it is an empirical question. It is 'also' possible, I should think, that the intake manifold can act like an oven, and radiate heat into the center of the intake air stream, heating it up without direct contact with the walls in, perhaps, a short amount of time. I don't know enough about the theory to model it in my head.

I think at this stage it could be premature to say that the absence of a satisfactory and arbitrary empirical testing of phenolic spacers proves they cannot work. Or that it is a sham. It only proves that such tests are not available.

Dan those graphs are interesting. I would have liked to see IATs and a richer context description for the study, including a chart comparing:

Cars equipped with phenolic spacers
Cars equipped with non-phenolic spacers of equal length
Cars equipped without spacers.

The manufacturers are guilty of omitting temperature data, which is absolutely vital to the essence of the claim: That phenolic spacers reduce air charge temperature. On the face of it, these data don't support that claim.

The data kinda support another claim, that phenolic spacers add horsepower. But with unknown effect on intake air temperature.

How does the engine typically behave when you add runner length? And I wish I could make an informed guess about the utility of an extra cm of thickness. Not enough data here to make that inference.
Scorpio  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Bruni I like your example of air not having contact with the walls of the intake for very long

The spacer is preventing alot of the engine heat from being radiated into the intake manifold.... If you start looking into thermo dynamics/fluid mechanics.. youll see that the sheer amount of air (cfm) going through the inlet manifold will in fact cause a fair bit of frictional heating, how much who knows..but every bit helps.. I like new concepts!!

Hey dan i noticed that on the second graph there were infact times when the grphs intersected and the baseline HP was actually higher than the phenolic Hp..but they didnt highlight those at all??
BILSTEIN SHOCKS
GT BASED CUSTOM BODYKIT

Brisbane , Australia
Think mean think fast
all youll see is
my Porsches Arse!!!
ideola  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tuurbo, you bring up some interesting points. Definitely, fluid dynamics comes into play here, and it is beyond my grasp to be able to predict how laminar flow vs. inducted heat vs. conducted heat vs. radiated heat would affect the charge air. I agree that objective data are scarce, at least so far (might be partly google's woeful search results!).

First, I'd like to point out that the Autospeed article actually did plot temps, and so it's worth repeating the IAT testing methodology:
Sean Morgan wrote:

The basic function of the insulators is to reduce intake manifold temperatures, so what better way to test than to record and compare temp data before and after the install? I took the temperature readings from the front centre intake runner using a professional quality CPS T200 temperature sensor with a time constant of the order of 5 seconds. The sensor was mounted on the front middle intake runner for all tests and the vehicle was driven as close to 60 mph (~100 km/h) as traffic would allow. After the driving test, the engine was allowed to idle for a sufficient time to show the maximum temperature.

The data is shown as a temperature change above ambient. As you can see, the temperature of the intake manifold reached a steady state of approximately 30 degrees F (17 degrees C) lower - 40 degrees F versus 70 degrees F - with the insulators than without during 60 mph cruising. During the idle test (the higher temps at the right end of the graph), the non-insulated engine was 52 degrees F (29 degrees C) hotter and still climbing when the test was aborted. A non-quantitative comment: I can place my hand on the intake after a drive with the insulators installed, whereas I would have burned myself previously!

Now, I'm not a test engineer, but I see nothing particularly subjective or objectionable about this approach. Seems reasonable to me. Here are the results on a graph:

And in fact, bruni's primary argument about the Autospeed article was that there were no real dyno plots, just simulated ones. But IMO, if you combine the above IAT plot with the (apparently) real dyno plots from the other three sources, and it appears to me to be pretty compelling. The other thing I find interesting is that most of sites selling these spacers will cite temp drops of around 30°F, which is totally consistent with the Autospeed article. Again, all of these factors combined -- IAT plot, dyno plots, relatively consistent claims across various unrelated sources -- lead me to believe there is more than hype behind this. The fact that this practice has been in long use on carbed engines just bolsters the evidence.

I realize the manufacturers' main claims are reduced intake temps, and yes, it would be nice to see before-and-after IAT plotted on the dyno charts. However, realize that most IAT sensors on stock cars may not be mounted in a suitable place to actually measure the result of the phenolic. So that gets into another trick bag from a testing procedure perspective. Ultimately, in my mind, the goal is to produce more power, and therefore, ultimately the charts I want to see are the dyno plots. Conversely, if there were all kinds of charts showing reduced IAT, but no dyno plots to confirm power gains, I think one would have much more cause for skepticism.

In my mind, the evidence suggests that these reduce intake temps and that they also result in about a 5-8HP gain. One can argue, I suppose, that there is insufficient evidence to prove that there is a scientific correlation between the apparent data, and one could also argue that the individual tests are not objective. And while we don't have an arbitrary sanctioning body to formulate, conduct and audit objective testing criteria, we also do NOT have a single shred of evidence suggesting that these do NOT work. In fact, I find it interesting that in all the forums I've perused, there has been none of the hue and cry that goes up over snake-oil mods like electric superchargers.

Bottom line at this point for me: under-bonnet heat is the enemy. Period. The possibility of reducing intake temps by 30°F is worth a $65 gamble.
gegge  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I´m in for 1 set of spacers. If you find a set of studs, I´m interested in those as well. Please PM your payment instructions.

924 turbo -81 Carrera GT RESTOMOD
924 turbo -80 Dolomite De Luxe
924 -85 DP kit, BBS RS, M030 and tuned engine
924s -86 Black on black turbo with Fuchs
bass gt  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,

There is a very simple way to validate the possible effectiveness of these spacers.
Step 1. Before starting your car from cold, measure the temp of the intake runner by means of an infra red thermometer or such like.
Step 2. Take the car for a good run, and oncew the car is fully warmed up for a good 10-15mins, stop and repeat the measurement. I'll bet it's a fair bit hotter.
The way tolook at this is much like and intercooler. The cooler the mteal, the cooler the charge air, the better for power. Aluminium is a fantastic conductor of heat, and the head is just about the hottest item on the car. If you can stop the heat conducting into the charge pipes/runners, you can only gain.

Steve
ideola  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,
I agree, and that's exactly how I'm going to measure once we get the spacers in.

I'm assuming you are OK with a universal single piece design? Or should we do individual smaller gaskets as in the 931 setup? So far, I think everyone that's posted is interested in a 931 application. Aside from the slotted stud hole, is there any reason you can think of that a single piece gasket would not work on a turbo head? Of course, you'd have to run NA gaskets with it...

Let me know.

Also, regarding thickness, would you prefer 6mm or 10mm thickness? Since these can be stacked, my thought was to go with 6mm (approx. 1/4"), which seems to be fairly standard in other applications...but for guys that aren't constrained by otherwise stock setups, add'l spacers could be stacked for more insulation. Thoughts?

I'm sending a turbo and NA gasket set in today, so if you guys could all chime in with your thoughts on these points, it will be helpful so I can give the manufacturer some guidance on what we want to do.
ideola  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gegge wrote:
I´m in for 1 set of spacers. If you find a set of studs, I´m interested in those as well. Please PM your payment instructions.

Gegge, once I've sent the stuff to the manufacturer, and have sorted out exact details, I'll put together all of the pricing and terms for the group buy. Should be by early next week. I don't want to be sitting on other people's money until we're 100% certain of exactly what we want. In the meantime, I'll do some measuring on studs and bolts for the manifold, and once we settle on the thickness we want, I can pick up the hardware for you locally and send it over with your spacer.
morghen  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO much of the effect of these spacers drops if you already have a good intercooler. If i drive my car on an open road the intake is REALLY cold. However in the city...they might help a bit.
tuurbo  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Seems reasonable to me.

Me too Dan. I'd missed the intake temperature data. Mea culpa. Thanks! As I hinted, the cost doesn't warrant a Police investigation. I'm in.

Regarding thickness, I'm still unsure of the relation between thickness and temperature drop, but would prefer the coolest ones we can manage without having to modify the intake charge tube system too much. I prefer the individual gaskets, but I'll be happy with whatever the group is using.

Last edited by tuurbo on Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One question, wouldn't a 931 style (separate) spacers be cheaper, as in less material? I appreciate the desire to make them universal for bulkordercompulsionosis purposes, but is the unit really best for the 931?
ideola  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the individual style for a 931 would probably require less material. However, bear in mind that there are some guys here running turbos on NA heads and intakes, and there are also some guys running superchargers on NA heads. It seems like a universal design would be best so we don't have to come up with two different designs, part numbers, quantities, etc.

Also, according to some of the articles, there is also a benefit on normally aspirated cars but don't know that it would apply to the 924 given the known limitations of the NA head/intake. I am primarily trying to think ahead for the benefit of guys running superchargers and aftermarket turbos.
bruni  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh where do I start, Interesting that you quote data from a company called "Nissan Works" as from January 1997 until January 1999 I was technical manager for Nissan Motorsport Europe F2 rally team. during this time we won the British Rally Championship with the F2 Sunny. During this time Nissan also won the British Touring Car Championship with The Almera using a version of the same SR20 2L normally aspirated engine. Although the Race cars where run from the same workshop I had no involvement with that program although I was kept informed of all developments. I was responsible for all development on the Rally cars, engine, transmission and chassis. The race and rally engines where developed by two different companies independently of each other. The rally engine at best developed 285hp at 9250rpm the engine was capable of producing more, however the regulations meant that we had to keep the standard valve gear which restricted the maximum revs to about 9300. The regulations did however allow freedom in the design of the inlet system from the face of the cylinder head. I would of been quite happy to pay tens of thousands of £ to gain 5hp. Air inlet temperature is always a key factor in race engine development we found that the positioning, direction and timing of the fuel ejectors was the critical factor in reducing AIT (water injection was not allowed)
The original article does mention temperatures but they are manifold temperatures not AIT temperatures big difference, this is the critical measurement that you need and the one that all the companies leave out.

Thats all for now but I'll be back with more

ideola  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruni wrote:
The original article does mention temperatures but they are manifold temperatures not AIT temperatures big difference, this is the critical measurement that you need and the one that all the companies leave out.

Wrong. Read the excerpt quoted above again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: