Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

I can't figure out how to remove my seats! Help!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ds1  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:50 am    Post subject: I can't figure out how to remove my seats! Help! Reply with quote

I never thought I would actually have to post on a forum to figure out how to remove my seats, but it seems as though I can't get them out...

They seem to be gummed up or rusted so that I cannot adjust either seat front or back. This means all 4 bolts are covered by the seat.

Any ideas besides getting a blow torch and cutting holes through the floors?

"Its Porsche time"
Captain_Kirk  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem when I bought my '24. The right seat wouldn't move, and the drivers barely move a couple inches. I figured they had sat in the same position for decades. Who adjusts the passenger seat ever.
I have some stuff at work called "Justice Bros. 80" its 80 because it is twice as good as WD-40, says so on the can, also says loosens anything rusted. I got down in the front seat and sprayed it on the tracks so it would run front to back. Put some rags down if you have tan carpet cause the crap that runs out is icky, and let it soak.
Then sit in the seat, pull the adjuster lever and start rocking back and forth. First you'll get an inch of movement, then some more, then spray some more and keep rocking. Took me about an hour but finially busted it loose enough to get to the bolts. Then with the seats out, I cleaned the tracks and lubed them really good before going back in. Every once in awhile I move the seats back and forth to keep them from sticking again.
Good luck.
Captain
Ds1  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow I didn't think anyone else had the same problem! I'll give it a try and let you know what happens. I've never heard of that 80 stuff before...

"Its Porsche time"
fiat22turbo  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Corse had a similar problem and ended up getting medevial on the seat by sitting in the back seat and pushing forward with his legs after leveraging the release lever upwards.
mikebola  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine had the same issue on both seats thanks to a leaking roof and a sealed floor pan that wasn't drained for a year. I ended up getting it going by beating the hell out of the rails with a mallet and using liberal amounts of penetrating oil.
snakoil  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

put liquid wrench on it at night before going to bed, when you wake up next morning put some more
sit down in the seatr and push with all your strenght, it will unlock and start moving.
924guy  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

common problem, seat rails arent on many maintenance lists...

my solution?

spray the tracks down liberally with a penetrating lube
use a piece of steel rod, old screw driver, etc.. and a bfh to shock the rails into moving and inch or so on each side. if you bang the rails head on with a hammer, at some point youll miss and damage the seat fabric around the rails.

get in, sit down, pull up the adjustment lever, and rock back and fourth.
the momentum will eventually free the rails up. you'll need to find a rhythm. music may help, and you'll feel slightly less weird about it.

still not enough? spray the rails again, rock some more..

repeat until it moves enough to get to the bolts...
once you get the seat out, hit the rails with a wire brush, repaint, and keep them clean and lubricated going forward...
99' VehiCross
Y2K Honda Insight
http://www.cardomain.com/id/924Guy
Performance by Pasha
joecitizennn  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ds1 wrote:
Wow I didn't think anyone else had the same problem! I'll give it a try and let you know what happens. I've never heard of that 80 stuff before...

I have a 1983 944 auto that I drove for a while before just parking it and robbing its engine for parts for a better car. When I first got it it had had standing water in the floorpan for 6 years. This not only rusted the rails but rusted the release rod so it could not rotate. I tried penetrating oils, hammering, prying and even heating but the rod and locking teeth remained fused in position. Pulling on the release lever would only bend the rod. Long story short, I never did get it free before i junked the car. I suppose my last resort would have been to drill out the bolts from the bottom which would have required putting holes in the floorpan that would need to be later welded shut. Never got that far.
stevendudley  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:57 am    Post subject: same here Reply with quote

ive got the same prob. seat wont adjust. and one bolt broke right off. so i stoped havent messd with it scence
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: