Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Options for Race Dash

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ideola  

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:08 am    Post subject: Options for Race Dash Reply with quote

I am looking at options for a lightweight fiberglass dash on my Ultra Wide Body (UWB) project. A couple of comments before I get into the options and my question:
1. Even though the car will be streetable, it will be built as if it's pretty much a full time track car. Consequently, NONE of the stock early 924 climate control stuff matters to me (squirrel cage, heater box, ac, ducting, etc.). They will all be torn out of the car.
2. The chassis is a 1980 931
3. I will NOT be retaining the stock center console. I will either have nothing there, or possibly a custom fabricated one, depending on which dash I select and what my needs are for add'l mounting locations for gauges & displays

The two options I am aware of are:
- the fiberglass race dash available from GT Racing (list price=$232), which works for the 2.0L and the early 2.5L cars
- the fiberglass race dash available from Broadfoot Racing (list price=$245), which is designed to duplicate the oval dash of the later 2.5L cars

Given the fact that I don't need to retain any of the stock, early 924 console or climate control stuff, is anyone aware of any reason that the oval style dash wouldn't work in the 1980 chassis?

Also, feel free to post any add'l options you might be aware of. I need to get this sorted out within the next month or so because I will soon be ready for internal body mods (lightening, cage welding, etc.) and the dash is a pre-requisite for some of that.
924RACR  

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose another question is would you consider just making your own fiberglass replica? The brown dash coming out of my street 931 is junk, and could be used to create a mold and thence a fiberglass replica...
'79 924 #77 ITB racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
ideola  

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I don't buy something premade, I would probably just opt to go for a very simple, light weight arrangement, no contours, just a basic piece of FG or CF, cut to fit the contour of the windshield...something like this:

bruce76-924  

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,

For a project like yours I'd go for the oval 944 dash, especially if you're not bothering with the heating system. It will fit in ok but obviously the wiring and switchgear is a bit more involved. I've got some pics of my 1976 car with the oval dash kicking about someplace if needed.

Cheers, Bruce.
ideola  

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bruce...I remember your thread...just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking any peculiarities that might require modification to the tub. For me, even the switch gear doesn't matter, as I would plan to get an aftermarket race dash rather than a stock oval dash from a 944. I'd be cutting my own holes regardless.
bruce76-924  

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,

Yes it fits straight in, you will have to make up a couple of support brackets from the A post to to dash but that's it. The ignition switch won't line up either but again on a race car it is no big deal. On my car I've put all my switch gear in a custom panel that sits in the radio aparture within the centre console and then mounted my rev limiter and relays in the glove box, I've just got to find a good place for the boost gauge and oil pro light, although I may do what you're planning and replace the 944 clocks.

Bruce
mhart  

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the oval style come with pre-drilled holes?

I ask because while you won't be keeping the HVAC, I imagine htat you will be keeping a speedo, and if you can re-use the cable speedo, that will be one fewer major task to accomplish in the project
ideola  

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Saturday, I had a chance to hold in my two hands the very nicely produced oval fiberglass dash from Broadfoot Racing. It does NOT have pre-drilled holes, so any gauges that suit your needs can be installed. It was a very nice looking piece, although there was not an empty chassis nearby for me to eyeball or test fit. According to the guy who owned it, however, it is a direct fit replacement. On the down side, he indicated that Broadfoot Racing was a bit of a PITA to deal with...didn't have time to get into specifics, so YMMV.

I am still evaluating my options here, so not sure yet which path I'm going to take. I need to investigate making my own vs. buying one premade.
fiat22turbo  

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I prefer the older style dash myself. That's just my personal opinion. Just as easy to build a blanking panel for it to place the gauges that you want. Put a plate in the center speaker area and you've got more room for gauges, switches, etc

For true race cars, they tend to design the dash around the number of gauges, switches, etc that is needed. Once that is determined, they build a flat plate or two or three and clamp it all to the roll bar tubes. Smart teams make the panels easily removable for repair, so keep that in mind before pickup up the rivet gun, etc.

Some simple aluminum plate, flat black paint (reflections are bad mmmkay?) tin snips and other implements of destruction and some fender welting (or split rubber vacuum tubing) for the edges of the plate and you're done.

Good luck with it! Sounds like a fun project!
ideola  

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good suggestions...and actually, now that you mention it, I may end up going completely custom because once the roll cage is in, any of the stock or off-the-shelf options will be essentially permanently installed. Designing a custom dash that could be easily removed for repairs, even with a full cage, sounds like the way to go. Time for some more noodling...
Raceboy  

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went with early brown dash that got stripped of all metal except mounting and I cut it shallower inside. After that I had it covered with black alcantara. Looks and feels very nice.

Reason for stock dash? It's very light and it's still stock. I prefer early 8000 rpm tach with stock temp and fuel gauge but I installed progressive shiftlight in place of hibeam light (between speedo and tach and between tach and multi).
'78 924 Carrera GT replica
'84 928 S
'91 944 S2, sold
'82 924S/931 "Gulf", sold
'84 924, turbocharged, sold.
http://www.facebook.com/vemsporsche
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: