Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

924 suspension upgrade
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nicoflow  

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yah strut bar prolly wolnt make that much of a difference. Runnign hoosier slicks at auto X hopeing the sway bars and the upper mounts will stiffen the ride and give me significantly less body roll.
65 MGB
Vince Ponz  

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crack in the milk?
88 924S SE
87 911 Targa stock
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

!tom wrote:
showing off under the hood, just like adjustable upper mounts.

Not to be a contrarian, but adjustable camber plates help quite a bit on our cars. One, they limit the squoosh of the rubber strut mounts, and two, they allow you to run max negative camber at AX or the track (eliminating push), and dial it back down for street driving, so as not to mess up your tires.
Vince Ponz  

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doo wi hav spel chek on hair?.
88 924S SE
87 911 Targa stock
Vince Ponz  

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doo wi hav spel chek on hair?.
88 924S SE
87 911 Targa stock
fiat22turbo  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rasta Monsta wrote:
Gack, I know that 'tuners' are in love with strut bars, but what do you think will happen if one is installed on a car with rubber upper strut mounts?

Hint: NOTHING.

Not to start a raging debate, but I feel they do make SOME difference on SOME cars. Are they worth all the money they charge? Well certainly not the ones I've seen advertised for the Porsche. Sheesh they want a ton of money for those! Why is there a Porsche tax on some of the stuff? Honestly, wheels are especially bad. I can understand paying a bunch of money for high-end racing wheels, that are light and strong, etc. However, factory alloys are still danged expensive. So much so, I think I might investigate trying to find a way to run a different bolt pattern (like from a BMW or Corvette) but I digress.

Much like a spring, the rubber in the upper mounts has a certain spring rate or durometer (which changes as the rubber ages and wears) once the rubber is fully compressed or extended then the rate nears infinity and begins to effect the surrounding items, enough so that on SOME cars you can cause deformation of the strut towers, cracking of firewalls, some cars have actually ripped the strut towers off the frame rails over time. Would any of this happen on the 924? Not sure, I haven't raced them enough or seen them raced enough to tell.

I know from experience on some of my other cars that I have raced that the newer tire technology's, poor manufacturing methods and higher spring and shock rates favored by drivers now a days all add up to cracked firewalls, sheet metal separating from frame rails, deformation of strut tower tops, etc. Also braces can sometimes reduce seemingly random vibrations caused by the different resonant frequencies inherent in the car. The brace could potentially alter the magnitude or volume of the wave induced by the vibrations.

The point is that they aren't immediately necessary. They can be a nice addition down the road when you're looking for the last few pieces to help fine tune the chassis or reduce the chance for cracking, etc. That is unless you plan on eliminating the rubber from the suspension altogether and upping the spring and shock rates quite a bit followed by racing the vehicle quite often. To be honest looking at the 924 suspension design, the rear mounts for the front control arms could potentially need some bracing before the upper mounts if you're going to be racing quite a lot. Then there is the big wide open expanse of the rear hatch to contend with as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: