Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

944S
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2001 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did they ever make a 928 turbo. Whats the next step up from a 944TS and what is the 944TS
eturbo924  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2001 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No the factory never made a 928 turbo. The 928GTS is the ultimate 928 345HP and flaired rear fenders with wider rear track.

The 944 turbo S was introduced in limited numbers in 1988. It was a special rose quartz metalic and had special multi color interior. The suspension was upgraded with thicker anti-roll bars and harware. The brakes were also bigger and better ABS units from the 928S4. The wheels were special to the turbo S and were 225 front 245 wide rear. In 1989 the 944 turbo had all these things standard. Oh an most importantly the turbo S engine! 247 hp up from 219 of standard turbo.

Eric
http://www.geocities.com/eturbo924
AppleBit  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2001 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But I have seen a 928 with a supercharger... The hood was opened up for all the stuff to fit..

550 hp or so...

Too heavy of a car though! I want a car that's under 3000 lbs...

- Jon

Porsche 924 Wide Body LS1 Corvette 500 Horsepower Engine
Nick Neves  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2001 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree John-- Lighter is better! but as for the topic at hand... as a fellow college guy trying to make ends meet and support my automotive hobby-- think twice about buying a chassis and swapping a motor in. There's a lot more to it than bolting it up-- wiring the thing can be very difficult, getting the intercooler to fit in the nose can be a bear, finding all the bits and pieces to make the project work, designing or finding a full 944 turbo exhaust system(they were totally different than those on a naturally aspirated 944)... this stuff all adds up, man. not to mention your putting all this work into a chassis that is nearly 15 years old and who knows what other stuff needs to be done to make it drive smooth. If you really want to enjoy a car project, pick up a car that is in good shape and concentrate on making it better a little bit at a time. If you're super low on money and you would rather buy a fixer upper, get one that needs help in an area you're strong in, i.e., if you know body work, get a car that needs paint, if you're good at electrical stuff get a car that needs that. If you know everything that is involved with swapping a VERY complex motronic controlled 944T motor into a non turbo 944S chasis and you have the funds to under take such a costly project, go for it. Personally, i have seen a number of 944 turbo's that just needed a litle lovin go for under $8000 in the last couple of months, so unless you are getting that 944s chassis free o' charge, save yourself some money and get a 944 turbo and enjoy the car(plus they have a much nicer front end, bullet proof tranny with cooler, A+++ brakes, and better rims-- bonus). just my two cents. as for me, after buying my 931 project with my graduation money, i have spent an unholy number of hours fixing the thing but am finally rewarded with a nice looking car that finally runs like it's supposed to. By the way, insurance is less than $50 a month. NOW maybe i can get to the go fast part of things...
larso  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2001 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a daily driver car or a road car, seriously, a car with wishbone suspension and 16 inch wheels that is 3500 pounds will probably do the job better than the light 924.

Not the old vettes though, because they rattle and aren't designed properly..but a LOT of technology was put into 928s...
Except for the brakes not getting 4 piston calipers in the early 80s, i think that's silly considering 80s volvos get them and porsches don't! But anyway, my rants about porsche being a joke are another story, let's get back on topic:

Its on track that weight really matters, as long as you have a good suspension, i think as daily driver cars people put way too much consideration into things, it's not like you are racing the car, its a road car, right?

For example, the new 996 subjectively handles better than the 993s and all other 911s built, according to car and driver and road and track, EVEN THOUGH, the old 911s are 2900 pounds and the 996 is 3500. For road use, honest to god, wishbone with extra weight is probably better than light machperson style cars. Wishbone is a comfortable ride, Macpherson is bouncy and rollier (makes your car waddle, hard to do shicanes!)...On track it's different, doesn't really matter about comfort or bumpy ride.
I mean honestly, How often do you actually USE your car's suspension to its, well even medium capability on the road ?? most of your trip contains straight lines, long sweeping turns, and right or left hand turns, not both at once, you don't really get a chance to even use the "light weight" of your car. You can't cut down turns properly driving on the road anyway, your in one lane! Driving in one lane and not being able to hit the apex, what exactly is the point of a ultra light weight car again if your *driving ability is limited* by road laws and rules? Yellow lines, oncoming cars, pedestrians, signs, means no cutting down turns, no time for using your light weight miracle car... all you need is a car that has independent suspension, heavy or light, doesn't really matter, and good throttle response for fun and safety.
Also the skill of driving is probably more important than worrying so much about how heavy your car is. Some guy in a Limozine may be able to go around faster than you in your 924 because he knows how to use the car's length as an advantage. Exactly why you see 911 owners beating 924 owners around corners, and then the next day you see 924 owners beating 911 owners, it's all about how much you know your car. Really, how important is light weight on the road? Speed limits, pedestrians, stop lights, they all pretty much destroy the point of having a light racey car, i see it pointing to comfort, fashion, throttle response.

I mean the reason most of you don't drive toyota supras is because of fashion, they have wishbone, and would do the job fine.
Over(anal)yzing road cars guys, and making excuses to buy porsches ( i bought one cuz it's lighter...and??? so??? when do you ever actually care if it is lighter or not???on track you would...)

For racing I agree, lighter is absolutely necessary...on the road it's not neccessary to have a 2600 pound car with wicked suspension over a car thats 3500 with wicked suspension but a better engine (928).

[ This Message was edited by: larso on 2001-09-08 19:05 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: