Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Starting but not running

View previous topic :: View next topic  
plasticbaldy  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do I look for when a 931 starts but won't continue to run. I have another one and can swap components till it runs to identify the component but can someone please give me the most logical sequence of components to try?
wdb  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

start with your ignition switch,thats the most likely cause.there are instructions to hot wire your car in the FAQ.
TroyDest  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Baldy. My '82 931 has done this before. Check this first: ground the overboost switch wire on the intake duct. If the switch or connection is bad, the engine will barely idle and that's all it will do! If that doesn't solve the problem, start looking at the fuel pumps. -Troy
Smoothie  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the interest of trying real easy stuff first - check the large rectangular connector on the ignition module that's behind the radio - it's easily accessible from the left side - just unplug and plug it back in. You'll only have this box if you have the later model with a crank sensor. What year is your car?

[ This Message was edited by: Smoothie on 2002-04-16 12:34 ]
Kansas931  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-04-16 08:21, TroyDest wrote:
Hey Baldy. My '82 931 has done this before. Check this first: ground the overboost switch wire on the intake duct. If the switch or connection is bad, the engine will barely idle and that's all it will do! If that doesn't solve the problem, start looking at the fuel pumps. -Troy

My 80 turbo does this, and I can't figure it out if I have the overboost switch hooked up or if I ground it to the intake it floods the engine but it will Idle with it unhooked(thats all it will do) Any Ideas? I figured I would post my question here instead of a new one, so people don't tell me to just look at this one anyway, Thanks, Robert
Tom_in_LA  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't consider myself qualified to give any advice, but here's another data point to think about. My '80 931 had an air leak from the intake boot (rubber piece below the air filter housing) that caused similar symptoms, it would idle, but struggles or refuses to rev up when the throttle is open. Before the leak was finally discovered, the fuel distributor was tweaked way rich to try to compensate for the lean mixture, but of course that didn't fix the problem because the leaked air was unmetered, and the rich setting probably added to the difficulty of diagnosis and may have slightly flooded the engine
numbers  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, just what I always tell everyone. Check for vacuum leaks before you mess with the fuel mixture. These cars are full of 20 year old rubber fittings, and they will crack.
Tom_in_LA  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Story of my life, numbers, always learning things the hard way. Now at least I've finally gotten it to be a fairly reliable daily driver, just have to add oil every few hundred miles, get used to driving with a broken odometer, driving with no instrument panel lights, live with the noise from corroded muffler ... makes me wonder why I still like this car so much.
Paul  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar problem with my 80 931 shortly after I bought it in 93. The previous owner had installed the fuel filter (near the wiper motor) backwards. It must of failed inside and clogged up the outlet. It would run, then shut off when the loose parts covered the outlet. It would restart easily, and stall again.

You can check this easily by making sure the flow arrow on the filter is pointing to the rear of the car.
Ants  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2002 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long does it run for??
Had a similar prob with my '80 931 would start no prob and run for a few seconds (10-20) then die.
twas the fuel pump relay, cheap to fix

Ants
larso  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be the ignition switch if the car runs with the starter motor engaged.
The springs inside the switches harden up and misalign the switch when it bounces back to "running" position.

931luv  

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2002 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 80' 924 turbo is my first car. for my 17th birthday, my dad bought one for $2000 with two sets of rims. it drove like a beauty, but then, the problems started. the oil line connected to the turbo is leaking, and a gasket is juting out from the exhuast connection between the turbo and the exhaust manifold. i am also having the same trouble as a couple of you guys. my car starts up fine. but then, when i go in 1st gear the tachometer barley reaches 2000 rpms and it starts hesitating, and sounds like it is chokeing. it is probably the vacum leaks but i don't know where to start! also, there is a funny electrical sound coming from the dashboard that wasn't there before. i'm a student in high school and i don't have the money to get it fixed at a garage, and i don't have the heart to sell it. if anyone can help, i'd appreciate it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Tech. All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: