Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Wheel thread with a twist...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ideola  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:52 am    Post subject: Wheel thread with a twist... Reply with quote

In my quest for lightweight racing wheels that would be period appropriate for my UWB project, I came across this site today: http://www.panasport.com/

It appears they have the ability to create custom configurations. I am thinking about very deep dish 15" wheels, probably 7" to 8" in front, with at least 10" on the back. I really like the C8's with the centers painted to match my planned color scheme (but in 5-lug, of course...):

I've seen a couple of early 911s with wheels similar to these. What do you guys think?

Previously, I was looking at lightweight custom wheels from Kodiak, which are still an option. However, I would LOVE to come up with a look that is more period appropriate for my car. Vintage deep dish Ronals or BBS would be perfect, but they're hard to find in the sizes I will need, and very pricey. It would also be cool to get something like the GTP/GTS/GTR wheels such as those on the Hugo Boss cars, but those appear to be nearly one-off factory items that would be unrealistic budget-wise.

Any other ideas or suggestions?
bass gt  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,

Those are a copy of the classic Minilite wheels. They look great except one thing. In the picture, they are 4 bolt. With a five bolt fitment,, the bolt holes intrude into the webs, ruining thelook in my opinion. have a look at the Image wheels website. Lots of design ideas there also. I seem to remember there was a company in Spain i think that made copy Fuch's in widths up to 12". Can't for the life of me remeber their name though.
however, you can't go wrong with a classic close multispoke design like the early BBS's. Those, with a nice deep dish would look great.

Steve
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good suggestion. . .pic of a hot one from Image Wheels:

ideola  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bass gt wrote:
With a five bolt fitment,, the bolt holes intrude into the webs, ruining thelook in my opinion.

Steve, I didn't notice that before, but now that you mention it, I see what you mean:

bass gt wrote:
you can't go wrong with a classic close multispoke design like the early BBS's. Those, with a nice deep dish would look great.

Trust me, bud, I'm with you 100% on that one...if I can ever find a set that has the has an offset even close to correct with the width I need, I'll be all over it. I bid on a set about 2 years ago, but price ended up outstripping my cash-on-hand at the time. If you come across any on your side of the pond, please let me know

Guys, thanks for the pointer to Image. Here's the Image website for future reference...time to do some more digging
924RACR  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh, hen you don't want to see what else is hiding in my storage unit...
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
ideola  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

924RACR wrote:
Ahhh, hen you don't want to see what else is hiding in my storage unit...

Well, maybe I do...is it for sale?????
924RACR  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely not.

NOS BBS 16" rim centers.
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
ideola  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your such a tease.

I know. That's what she said.

emoore924  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say check to be sure you can get tires to fit the rims, whatever you choose. If you're after DOT tires in wide 15" or 16" diameters, some sizes are getting hard (if not impossible) to find. See if you can find some 285/40/15, which was the size people put on the 11x15" BBS wheel that was so popular in the mid 80's. There are some vintage racing suppliers that might have a comparable size for the wider, smaller diameter wheels (>=9 width, <=16 diameter), but beware that you might not pass state inspection because most of the race tires are NOT DOT approved.

Oh, and BTW, each time you want to dismount/mount another tire, you have to *disassemble* the 15's (there is no mount hump so you can mount the tire with the wheel assembled), and that costs you a seal ring ($75/wheel) and a bolt set ($20/wheel) and an explode mount ($10/wheel).

I have a great set of 9x15 and 11x15 3-piece BBS wheels with good sealing rings, black centers and polished outers, but finding tires, well, that's another story..., and yes, I would sell them cheap. They're sitting in my garage attic taking up space. I was thinking of making end tables out of them...
endwrench  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emoore924 wrote:

Oh, and BTW, each time you want to dismount/mount another tire, you have to *disassemble* the 15's (there is no mount hump so you can mount the tire with the wheel assembled), and that costs you a seal ring ($75/wheel) and a bolt set ($20/wheel) and an explode mount ($10/wheel).

Gee, with assembly\disassembly labor that should only come to about $600 to mount and balance a set of tires . I don't think I'd pay that to mount Jessica Alba

Todd
ideola  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric
Great stuff...I'll do some research on the tires. We don't have state inspections on older cars in MI, so no worries there. The only thing we have to worry about re: being street legal is no slicks, proper head lights, tail lights, turn signals, and seat belts. Otherwise, people run pretty much whatever they want on the street, particularly if the car is more than 20 yrs old. After all, it is the motor city!!!

Please send me an email or PM with pix and price you want for those wheels. I'm definitely "in the market" and interested. They would be period correct for my car, which is a primary consideration.
flosho  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

endwrench wrote:

I don't think I'd pay that to mount Jessica Alba

Todd

Oh come on, that 600 would be well invested!
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

endwrench wrote:
I don't think I'd pay that to mount Jessica Alba

Granted, she's no sheep, but. . .
ideola  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that I mind the prospect of mounting something as juicy as J.A., particularly in that pose, but, to bring things back on topic...

emoore924 wrote:
I have a great set of 9x15 and 11x15 3-piece BBS wheels with good sealing rings, black centers and polished outers, but finding tires, well, that's another story..., and yes, I would sell them cheap. They're sitting in my garage attic taking up space. I was thinking of making end tables out of them...

Eric, please send me an email with pix and price. Those wheels would be PERFECT, and as long as I don't have slicks on, I don't have to worry about DOT inspections or anything like that here in MI. So any type of wide racing tire will be fine as long as it has a minimal tread pattern. You should see the "street-legal slicks" my buddies are running on their Rustang and Camaro respectively.
endwrench  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rasta Monsta wrote:
Granted, she's no sheep, but. . .

Hey bud, I'm from Montana, not Wyoming. Around here the men are men and the goats are nervous.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: