Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Race shock/strut options - Bilstein front, QA1 rear
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
924RACR  

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Results - first eval Reply with quote

Follow-up on this article; we had the racecars out this past weekend for the first race of the season. I didn't drive Chris's car, so I can't compare performance of the QA1 setup with mine, but Chris did indicate he saw a substantial improvement in the behaviour of the car - now he just has to get used to it, and then maybe a little time dialing those rear shocks in.

But the car now is much better controlled, no excess motion, just goes where it's told to without any wiggling, bobbing, or yawing (which would have been caused by the weak damping from the Konis in the past).
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
gegge  

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting info about the Bilsteins.
Got some questions for you:
Would you let in on the valve secrets? Is 230/80 too soft or too little compression? Seems soft compared with 944 Cup settings. The weight in the front of a VW rabbit and 924 should be aprox the same.
The strut travel of V36-0103 is 4" shorter than stock, but that doesnīt nesecery mean a 4" lower ride height - rather that maximum ride height is reduced by 4"?
If ride height is reduced by say 2", could you use the limited travel of the struts as dropstops and get rid of the swaybars?
What coils do you use, would guess minimum 500lbs/inch, but what about the lenght of the spring? 8", 10" or 12"
My point is, with springs that are four times harder that stock, the movement is only one fourth under "normal" driving conditions. Therefore suspension travel isnīt a big issue, or am I totally wrong?

924 turbo -81 Carrera GT RESTOMOD
924 turbo -80 Dolomite De Luxe
924 -85 DP kit, BBS RS, M030 and tuned engine
924s -86 Black on black turbo with Fuchs
simsport  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:24 am    Post subject: Setup Reply with quote

Vaughan
I was speaking to Steve Bassington and he tells me that when watching my car at our recent sprint event at Goodwood, England he noted the car was pitching under acceleration. We discussed uprated front springs and rear bars.
What are you using as we both figured you had more expereince of variations to suspension than most including us!

Cheers
Simon
924RACR  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently using 650# front springs, 34mm rear t-bars, stock 23mm front swaybar, 19mm rear cup car bar.

HTH... I'm always happy to chat about setups!
'82 931 Plat. Silver
flosho  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the Bilstein V36.0059 shocks are for a 74-84 VW rabbit/scirroco(w/e its called).

Well if we could find a similar fitting coilover, would/could that possibly work on our cars?
924RACR  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this is my point - it's fairly easy to make a rather common rear tube shock fit...
'82 931 Plat. Silver
flosho  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vaughan, do you have the dimensions on the spacers and inserts you needed to fit the rear coilovers?

Since Min is looking for something to build and has a mill, this would be excellent opportunity to check his skills..
EUr0trASHeD  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just to confirm, the rabbit strut will bolt up to the early style spindles with no modification?
gegge  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A working Bilstein V36-0059 setup. I used standard 12" long coils and 5" in diameter from a NASCAR bought on Ebay. They where about 2" too long and I had to adjust them slightly with the grinder. Now itīs a perfect fit! Stock tophat and 951 plates. The strut seat is wider than 5". The rideheight is very close to stock in order to keep the steering geometry right. I was aiming for 400lbs coils but since I have shortened them I guess they are about close to 500lbs. NOT recommended for the streets

924 turbo -81 Carrera GT RESTOMOD
924 turbo -80 Dolomite De Luxe
924 -85 DP kit, BBS RS, M030 and tuned engine
924s -86 Black on black turbo with Fuchs
Dutch924-racer  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fast road camshaft
Forge recirculation valve + boost controller
Browar  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what car do You use brake disc with this 9X6 calioer?
fiat22turbo  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of you keeping the torsion bars in the rear, here is a relatively inexpensive solution for 28mm units:

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C12-6569-28

Stock for a 924 is 22mm (97lb/in) according to the chart from here:

http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/susp-15.htm

To keep the chassis balanced, try to keep the percentage difference between the front and rear rates similar.

So going from 97lb/in to 254lb/in in the rear would match well with around 250-325lb/in front springs (up from the stock 140lb/in springs). 26 and 27mm torsion bars are available from the above site as well if you don't want to go that large.

Note the front rate also depends on the options and configuration of your car. My lightweight 924 understeers badly with 325lb/in springs and doesn't ride well on the street, yet my 951 with 400lb springs is a great cruiser and handles quite well due to the difference in weight on the front.

Note the sway bar sizes available over the years as some are still available from Porsche for a reasonable price.

Paired with a decent set of struts/shocks and some sporty tires, you'll have a pretty nice handling car when you're finished.
haroldk  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How hard are the adjustment knobs to get to on the QA1s when they're installed? It looks from the pictures like they'd be concealed in the pocket of the lower mount.
haroldk  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haroldk wrote:
How hard are the adjustment knobs to get to on the QA1s when they're installed? It looks from the pictures like they'd be concealed in the pocket of the lower mount.

Anybody?
friggin  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What car are the DRR5855B designed for? I found the bilsteins for the front suspension and the coil over sleeve kit from paragon but I can't find anything about the Qa1 shocks for the rear? Any help would be nice as to what car they are actually designed for so I can see about ordering them.
I was also wondering if I could just use this kit for my 79 924 as it is looking to turn out to be the same price for this kit as it is piecing together the front bilsteins and coil over sleeve kit ($700) and I'm guessing the rear will be well into the $600 price range. Any help on if this would fit would be awesome! I just bought my car and trying to get it autocross ready in two weeks haha.

http://www.paragon-products.com/Coil-Over-Kit-Koni-Cup-p/koni_cup_kit.htm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: