Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

How tall are our engines, crank centerline to valve cover?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
juha_teuvonnen  

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:38 pm    Post subject: How tall are our engines, crank centerline to valve cover? Reply with quote

Does anybody have the height of Porsche 2.5 and 2.0 engines from the centerline of the crankshaft to the top of the cylinder head? I have all the dimensions for GM Ecotec, I would like to see if it fits.
gegge  

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2.0 inline is tall compared to other engines but short and tilted some 40-45 degrees.

The reason for the 2.0 height is the piston height to crown, extrem valvelenghts and the lifter design together with a cam with a large basecircle.

The GM Ecotec is problably 3-4cm shorter in height but a lot wider at the top considering the 16V layout. Could be a problem with the exhaustmanifold unless you do something about the angle.

924 turbo -81 Carrera GT RESTOMOD
924 turbo -80 Dolomite De Luxe
924 -85 DP kit, BBS RS, M030 and tuned engine
924s -86 Black on black turbo with Fuchs
juha_teuvonnen  

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I am asking the wrong question. The right question would be:

How much space do we have between the centerline of the crankshaft and the hood? I will measure the engine compartment front to back and left to right between the frame rails, but I have hunch that these two dimensions are not going to be the problem.
steve924  

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made the crank centre line to hood approx 16.5 inches and the top of the steering rack to hood 21.5 inches approx as i'm fitting a vw 1.8t in which doesn't need to be slanted as per the original engine.

just make sure you check where your oil pump will be (at the rear to avoid the crossmemer and steering rack
juha_teuvonnen  

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve924 wrote:
I made the crank centre line to hood approx 16.5 inches and the top of the steering rack to hood 21.5 inches approx as i'm fitting a vw 1.8t in which doesn't need to be slanted as per the original engine.

just make sure you check where your oil pump will be (at the rear to avoid the crossmemer and steering rack

How tall is the VAG 1.8t engine, crank centerline to top of head? Did you have a chance to test-fit the engine?

According to the GM book on Ecotec engines:
- crank centerline to top of cylinder head is 427.70mm (16.83 in).
- lowest point of oil pan to to top of cylinder head is 623.70 mm (24.5 in)
- the oil pan has an indentation in it, my guess based on the drawings is approx 40 mm (1.57in) deep.

For the reference, a GM LS1, which is known to fit in the 924/944 engine compartment:
- crank centerline to top of intake manifold is 514.6 mm (20.25 in).
- lowest point of oil pan to to top of intake manifold head is 717.6 mm (28.25 in)

The above specs are for LS1 truck motor, I would expect the Corvette intake lower it, say by 3 inches. that works out to be about as tall as ecotec.

The LS1 swap is known to work (at least with the aluminum crossmember from 924s/944). Therefore, unless my math is wrong, it should be possible to fit a 17 inch tall ecotec into the 924 engine compartment. It will likely require building custom subframe, lowering the steering rack and tilting the engine with the engine nose sitting lower than the tail end.
steve924  

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1.8t (aeb code)is not a easy conversion but is a evolution of the original mk1 golf engine which means you have alot of options for finding components that help it fit. The crank to top of engine is about 16 inch (it sits on a slight slant once in the car) The only 1.8t worth using is the AEB as the oil pump is at the rear of the engine, and using a modified steel mk1 golf sump you can keep the engine nice and low.

I've got as far as to sort the belhousing (mk4 golf gti) clutch etc (i'll get a pic), got to make engine mounts and exhaust etc etc never ending list. also the starter needs space made in the fire wall

Also worth noting is the 944 drive shaft fits the AEB pilot bearing
steve924  

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idea borrowed from the vw chaps

cltch disc is a ford transit, pressure plate and flywheel is mk4 golf (solid flywheel) just need to make engine mounts (using original engine mounts) and a few other bits.

Only going for a mild tune 300hp ish
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: