Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Cadillac swap **** 56k warning****
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcadam1121  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i kinda just skimmed over your brake article and saw that you were using a toyota master cylinder
what is the master cylinder off of exactly
like you im having clearance issues with my 3800 swap and this looks like it should wrk just fine and dandy
turbobob9242  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very very cool!
chad-tanner  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inspector: These brakes look completely inadequate.
Burt Munro: Well, I'm planning on going, not stopping.
chad-tanner  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The car is again,dirty as hell,as it has set for another almost four months without being touched.This damn thing will never be finished,if I keep taking breaks like this.However,life does happen.

I painted the engine bay,way back in august.It dos'nt look so good in the pics,However,it did look nice after I painted it,It's just covered with dust.Other than the paint,I really did'nt do anything,that has not been documented,untill this week.

The routing of the brake lines are a little different,than I had described earlier in the thread.I decided to use some of the exsiting lines,as they were in excellent shape and I also realized,I would need more bubble flares than I had thought.I already knew,I was'nt able to make a bubble flare,and my MC is double flare.

The two lines for the front brakes,are "simply" the factory lines,spliced into some new lines,then connecting in the Tee mounted on the MC.

You can see the torsion carrier in the last pic.I cut the factory lines,just before they made their upward turn around the carrier.The two factory lines are double flared into a TEE,then a new line was run all the way up to the rear port on the MC.It's actually two pieces,with the splice behind the bellhousing(not intentional)I just cut the line too short,and wanted the splice to be hidden.

I realize,you guys don't like spliced brake lines.However,the three unions (splices) and the Tee are all brass double inverted flare.I really doubt there could be any problems,because this is not a track car,even though,I may at some point attend a test and tune at the local dragstrip.

No adjustable proportioning valve,"Yet!!" I said It was part of the plan,but I'm not sure,It's really needed.I guess,I could add one in the future,if I have any problems with rear wheel lockup.
I really wish I had problems like that,That would mean,the car is in motion!

After all the bleeding,Everything seems to be working fine.The pedal is as expected,very stiff with very little travel.However,It seems as if,it does'nt take alot of effort to effectively apply the brakes.I'm sure the 6:1 pedal ratio was a great help.So far,I'm very pleased with how the brake project turned out.The only way to test it fully,would be driving the car,Everthing else about it,has checked out fine.

Andrew NZ  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you have a stepped M/C, I think you will need a bias valve. Using a standard 924 M/C but plumbed the same way as yours, mine needs restriction to the back brakes (tested and set up on brake rollers).

You have a lot more weight over the front than me, so I suspect you'll lock the rears very easily.
www.race4-dcup.co.nz
Joes924Racer  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neat stuff going here "you gotta get er done " its better your taking your time. When you get it done give us a video.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
chad-tanner  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chad-tanner  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done some more mock-up,just had to know for sure,how well the engine would clear the Toyota MC and custom MC mount.I guess,I've measured this thing so many times over the years,I did get it right.The MC and brake lines clear everything perfect.

I also wanted to see how well the engine mounts and crossmember lined up,as this is the first time,the engine has been fitted in the car since the crossmember modification with the addition of the rubber bushings.I was allways worried about the parts becoming warped from all the welding,however everything seemed to line up and bolt together effortlessly.

I was really disappointed with myself,and it took a little while to figure out,exacty what happened or really remember what I had done about 10 months ago.
When I mocked-up the "perches" for the rubber bushings,I was thinking "this was a great chance to lower the engine a bit",because it allways seems like the thing to do,if it's "doable".I think,I was wanting to lower the engine about a half inch,just because I could,however I done this,It was just the opposite of how it should have been.I must subtracted the half inch between the perches,when I should have added a half inch.It's so sad to say,I effectively raised the engine a half inch! I don't think,I would have ever noticed,but the valve cover now has clearance issues with the throttle pressure cable for the auto trans.I first seen this and thought WTF,because I sure did'nt remember that ever happening,then I looked at the first mock-up pics from Dec 2007,and It sure did'nt!!

PORSCHEV  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you just say...auto trans?

1978-#53 "D" track racer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
chad-tanner  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PORSCHEV wrote:
Did you just say...auto trans?

Of all people that read this thread,,,How the Bloody Hell!!!,did you miss this?

PORSCHEV  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I was just skimming. I have to admit I don't read the long posts on most threads unless they really interest me. But this should have been a clue.

1978-#53 "D" track racer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
xEcUtEr  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice post... results?
joecitizennn  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chad-tanner wrote:
,I'm just not into the "go fast for cheap"small block chevy,built on a budget,kind of thing..........

Lost interest about there. Lots of SBC conversions out there with 10k plus in them. They get used because they fit the application extremely well. The budget is determined by the individual and what he wants out of the car, not by the engine choice.
87 924S gone
84 944 sold
83 944 sold
89 turbo S LSD, ABS etc
86 951 white rocket
85 944 sport everything.
84 944 sold.
87 944 sold
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may not be the only one who lost interest.
chad-tanner  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joecitizennn wrote:
chad-tanner wrote:
,I'm just not into the "go fast for cheap"small block chevy,built on a budget,kind of thing..........

Lost interest about there. Lots of SBC conversions out there with 10k plus in them. They get used because they fit the application extremely well. The budget is determined by the individual and what he wants out of the car, not by the engine choice.

That was misunderstood,I was'nt putting down sbc conversions,saying they're cheap,or anything like that. I was only saying,I'm no longer into fast cars,and also letting people know that I realize,there are plenty of better engine choices for the money.Your Right!!! It's all about what the indivdual wants out of the car.

I may have also misunderstood something.If you're saying this project should'nt cost anymore to finish than a SBC swap.Thats not right!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: