Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Fixing the windshield washer activation switches.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
joecitizennn  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Fixing the windshield washer activation switches. Reply with quote

This is not an exhaustive "how to" on fixing the windshield washing system. I have however noticed that steering column switch failure is a common cause of malfunctioning washer systems. At least on a 924S. Over time the switch buttons loose good contact, and refreshing that contact takes only some fiddling.

First remove the steering wheel, and the lower plastic cover for the switch assy. Then loosen the 3 screws holding the turn signal assembly in place, and wiggle it out. There are 3 connectors on the back of the switch assy, wiggle them loose.

Looking down into the right side of the assembly you can see the wiper and washer switches.

The switch assembly can be popped apart into two halves to allow better examination. See the wiper switch 1 and the washer motor switch 2. The washer motor switch is the most likely to give trouble.

Clean the contact buttons of the switches. I used a knife (carefully) but you could also use a file or similar tool. It does not take much scraping to establish a good contact surface.

Make sure that the switch contacts "a" before the wiper controll arm hits the housing "b"

If the arm hits the housing before the switch makes contact, or at the same time, the switch tab needs to be adjusted. Adjust by bending slightly. Dont forget, the inner switch "2" needs to make contact at the same time as well.

If you have adequately cleaned the contacts and adjusted the switches so they close firmly, and either the wipers or washer pump still dont work, your problem lies elsewhere.
Adismo  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the same jajaja
Jakkq  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is very interesting, as my windshield washing system doesn't work. I don't find it to be a big deal at all, but the car collects dust rather fast, especially after being out in the rain so I'm forced to hand wash the windshield.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ideola  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The exact details of the levers and switches may be a tad different, but this same basic fix is also applicable to the earlier models as well. I went thru the same procedure on my 81, but it was before Joe had posted this how-to, and I wasn't in documentation mode at the time.
Martijnus  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know mine doesn't work anymore (did work a while ago...).

Guess this'll be the problem. Now I know it's a common cause

thanks!

924 "50-jahre", 1981.
MSII/extra, LPG, ITB's, 5lug.
To be turbo'ed in a while.
Killed her at the Nurburgring, Porscheless at the moment
ronjeds  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joec - Thanks for posting the pics on this fix. This was the only thing (currently) which was not working on my 88 SE. After 15 minutes work, the washers are now working perfectly - - thanks again!

1988 924S Special Edition
joecitizennn  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any time dude. Wish I had the time to post photo illustrated how to on everything I have done to these darn cars. Anybody want a how to on the $17.00 power steering rack rebuild?
ideola  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joecitizennn wrote:
Anybody want a how to on the $17.00 power steering rack rebuild?

Abso-friggin-lutely! Please post! I am about to embark on a PS rack rebuild for my planned PS conversion, installing a PS rack on an early 924.
joecitizennn  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, I dont currently have a leaking rack to take apart and post pics of, but I can give a brief description. There are alot of seals and o rings that keep the red stuff in the rack, but most leaking on 924S/944 racks seems to come from 3 wiper seals. Two are in the tube at each end of the rack, and one is at the lower end of the valve housing. If any one of these three seals leaks at all it will come dripping out your boots. The hardest of the three to replace is the one in the passenger side of the rack tube. It is a real a-hole to get out without damaging the plastic rack bushing. When I located and removed the three leaking seals, I took them to a bearing and seal supplier and they ordered new. THe rack hasnt lost a drop since.
klkersten  

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 6:36 am    Post subject: windshield washer problems Reply with quote

Sadly cleaning the contacts did not fix my problem but it was worth a shot.

Can anyone tell me what kind of voltage I should be getting across the leads for the window washer pump? Seems like I am only getting around 4v and it's a little erratic. Does this mean a relay problem?

Can someone tell me on a 1987 924s 5spd which relay would control the windshield washer pump? I don't have an owner's manual yet. I can see no fuses blown at least.

Thanks.
9XX Girl!  

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think there is a relay. Sounds to me like you have a bad earth/ground

Instead of measuring the voltage between the two wires at the pump, try mesuring the voltage between the pos of the pump plug and... the battery neg. it should be 12v ish with engine off and 13.8v with engine on

I can't remember the colour of the pos on the pump plug but the neg is brown.
klkersten  

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject: windshield washer problems Reply with quote

Good suggestion. I got 0 volts with the car off, key in position 2 (I think - twisted one position clockwise without engaging the starter), and someone holding in the washer stalk. Wipers engaged no problem when I moved the stalk up.

But I don't think I should get any voltage across the leads if the washer switch isn't engaged, regardless of whether the car is on or not. Otherwise the motor would run all the time, wouldn't it?

I *think* I saw where the ground came out. Looks like it was under the right headlight, under the headlight motor. No chance to get a hand in there without disassembling the headlight.

It's clear I am missing something obvious somewhere, just haven't found it yet.
vintageant  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:24 am    Post subject: Windshield washer pump Reply with quote

OK, where is the windshield washer pump?
It's mentioned neither in the owner's manual nor in the Haynes (944) manual.
joecitizennn  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on what type of reservoir you have. Some have the pump on the top, some have it on the bottom. If you can't see it, it likely is on the bottom.
87 924S gone
84 944 sold
83 944 sold
89 turbo S LSD, ABS etc
86 951 white rocket
85 944 sport everything.
84 944 sold.
87 944 sold
joecitizennn  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on what type of reservoir you have. Some have the pump on the top, some have it on the bottom. If you can't see it, it likely is on the bottom.
87 924S gone
84 944 sold
83 944 sold
89 turbo S LSD, ABS etc
86 951 white rocket
85 944 sport everything.
84 944 sold.
87 944 sold
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> How-To All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: