Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

New owner, worried!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tommy D  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2001 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just purchased a 1987 924S with 50K miles for $2500. When I drove the car home on the highway it ran great, but in stop and go traffic the temp gage went into the red zone. I've now let the car sit for about 3 days and there is what looks to be an oil leak under the front part of the car and 4 small spots on the ground by each tire. I checked the oil level and it was ok, but there looked to be brown foam on dip stick. Cooling fluid level looked low. Oil cooler seal leak? Would that leak that much oil on ground? Why a spot by each tire? Master cylinder? Need help. Thanks
Dave  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2001 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds Like you a leaking coolant into the oil. Could be the oil cooler or it could be the head gasket

[ This Message was edited by: Dave on 2001-08-29 15:10 ]
MAS  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2001 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...or it could be the seal (one of the seals?) in the oil cooler/rad. This the more likely senario.

-MAS
eturbo924  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2001 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The typical failure on the 924S/944 models is the water to oil cooler. The seal between the two fails and the fluids mix. Check this first. As far as the oil leak, if it is not from the same condition above, check the oil pressure switch (also common). It is best if you just get in the engine bay and poke around until you find the source.

The brakes. Hmmm that is more interesting. Did the previous owner perform any recent brake service? Maybe... if you are real lucky... they did not properly secure the bleeder screws. If so get some new fluid, flush and bleed the brakes. Again, best if you just pull the wheels and inspect the brakes.

The 924S is a nice car and it seems you got a good deal, as long as the head gasket is not blown. I think you are looking at the cooler though.

Good luck

Eric
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: