Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Battery Relocation - Done it?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:02 am    Post subject: Battery Relocation - Done it? Reply with quote

So, the last step before installing Shaggy's IC is moving the battery. Anyone have any comments or suggestions about the process?

I've pretty much decided to have mine professionally done. An Optima battery will go in the right rear storage area, and both leads will go to the starter. 1 gauge cable will be used, and firesleeved where it crosses the exhaust. The battery itself is $170. . .just for laughs, anyone care to guess what the total estimate is (at $95/hr)?
skemcin  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Battery Relocation - Done it? Reply with quote

My comment doesn't come from any direct experience but from other related postings I've read elsewhere . . . you'll want to do a couple things since the battery is going to be moved into the cabin of the car:

• create an enclosure for the battery, box.
  • use something like a computer fan to push air in, and extract air out of the box to prevent gas build up
  • paint the box inside and out with something like POR-15

I'm not sure which Optima battery you selected, but any lead based battery in a car's cabin should be contained. You could even plumb the vents with some flexibile pipe to intake and exhaust air outside the car.

All this might cost you an additional $50
9249206347 - 8k – waiting its resurrection, no power at the fuel pump and fuse #7 blows w/power
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ideola  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Battery Relocation - Done it? Reply with quote

skemcin wrote:
any lead based battery in a car's cabin should be contained

Is this some new health regulation or something? I don't understand why people make such a big deal of this. My 928 battery is in the rear hatch, and believe me, there's nothing special about the flimsy lid that covers the battery box recess next to the spare. And there's nothing but a hole in the floor of it that supposedly vents to fresh air (and does a nice job of sucking in exhaust fumes at the same time).
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Optima was chosen in part because it is a sealed unit, so there is no need to vent the enclosure.

I appreciate the input, keep it coming!

rm
flosho  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I relocated mine to the spare tire well in the hatch.. And then re-relocated it to the engine bay.

The reason--as I have posted before--is because the local tracks want a "battery cutoff switch" located OUTSIDE the car in the rear? That way in the case of an accident they can quickly and easily cut power to the entire car. I don't understand why this is needed when the battery is relocated, but it is something to check into in your area as well. It may add to the cost of relocating the battery.

The actual installation was just some, 1 ga. wire run from the hatch under the inside carpet to original 12v+ cable. The ground wire was just grounded to bare metal in the hatch.
jazz guy  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rasta, It sounds like you have a good plan. If you are tackling your intercooler project yourself, I'm sure you could do this on your own.

I have relocated batteries in other vehicles when I've put V8's where four cylinders were. If you are careful with your cable routing, it is pretty straight forward. Be sure to use grommets in holes that the cable runs through.

If you are concerned about acid and fumes, you could purchase a battery box with a vent. There a many different battery box designs out there, if you find it necessary.

By the way, I love my Optima battery. I enjoy hearing about your progress on your car!

Cheers, Brian
tuurbo  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rasta I did the battery relocation myself and it wasn't very expensive. Perhaps if yours is professionally done you'll have a sweeter and more professional setup, but here's what I did anyway and you can take away what you wish.

The first thing I did was purchase a battery tray. It fits snug in the wheel well of the rear of the car. The battery lies flat on it. About $12.

I bought about 15' of 1 gauge wire for the power and 1' for the ground.

Above the foot pedals near the fuel filter there's a black rubber grommet that allows wires through. I replaced it with a rubber putty (like plastercene but hardens) to seal around the wires and strung the power wire through it and under the carpet to the back of the car to the spare tire area. Also, the piece that holds down the spare tire can also hold down the battery.

Took the web of wires that were attached to the power (I'll blame the PO because after all nobody here ever does anything stupid to their car ), clipped them, put on new fittings and fitted them to the power wire now with one end at the engine bay near the battery cavity.

Attached things up at the battery at the rear. I used two ground spots at the rear to be sure.

A battery box is nice but superfluous. If there's no ventilation it's like...what example would work for Rasta...it's like having a grow room full of bud with a locked door - it'll still fill the house up eventually so you must ventilate. But at the spare tire wheel well the car vents the air outside. But if you're uncertain you can drill a hole or two yourself. Cover it up with the carpet piece and Bob's your uncle.

I did a smoke test to check the ventilation - seemed to be fine while in motion - I think Porsche designed the car to ventilate itself at the rear.

I'm told for unwanted emissions the Optima is best. If you've got an Optima and it is in the right rear cavity in a box you're safe I think.

The right rear where you're putting the battery box, is just fine. I'd bet it vents itself with the air pressure differences between inside and outside being what they are. If you're super paranoid about fumes drill a hole or a computer fan is nice but that won't help when the car sits for a day without being driven. The fact is with the car sitting you've got a static environment with potential fumes unless you place the battery outside the cabin - no way around it.

Interestingly after I clipped the web of wires and completed the relocation my voltage went up from about 13.2 (measured at the wire to the battery) to around 14. So it's probably a good thing to do to get these wires all fresh and clean. Haven't had a problem with it. My face is still attached so the fumes aren't killing me. It cost me about $50 all total.

Took 3 hours so I'd predict a shop will charge you for 5 hours.

For $95 an hour I'd insist on being 'fully served' if you know what I mean...lol
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, what I am anticitpating from this guy is a factory appearance, and something that will never have to be touched again.
ic932  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

all ovaldash 944's here have the battery in the back left-hand rear area, next to the spare wheel well.

why not just cut the battery platform and take the long cable that pops out at the starter motor....a bit of welding and fiddling thats all it would take.

cost of parts from a later 944? ...... pennies lol

keep it in porsche family
ic932  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

regarding ventilation, the later 944's use a small plastic can with a tube attached to it... again you can simply get this off the same donar car.

if you would like pics of the late 944 set-up no probs...
ideola  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to see pix of the 944 setup, as this was exactly the approach I am planning for the 941 and the UWB project. Please post, or you can PM me for email contact I can post them for everyone's benefit.
Paul  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the US we would want to put it in the right wheel well. I can't seem to find the pictures I had of that setup....
Polar Silver 02 996TT. "Turbo"
Owned and repaired 924s since 1977
Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Smoothie  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here're some 944 remote battery mounts -
http://www.rennline.com/products.asp?dept=209

-But they're designed specifically for "Odyssey" batteries. (Not that that's necessarily a bad thing.)

'82 924T, US version, dark green metallic, 5 speed Audi 016G gearbox
Paul  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That battery could be installed in the glove box or where the A/C system used to be under the dash. It's smaller than 1/2 loaf of bread.
Polar Silver 02 996TT. "Turbo"
Owned and repaired 924s since 1977
Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those puppies are cool, but don't leave the lights on. . .they rate their CCA by the first 5 seconds, then give a different CCA for the next five seconds. . .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Tech. All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: