Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Up Fixin Der Engine Bay on my 941

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ideola  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Up Fixin Der Engine Bay on my 941 Reply with quote

Pix of my recently refreshed engine bay on the 941. In addition to touching up the valve cover, script lettering, and replacing ALL of the vac lines and elbows with silicone, I have eliminated the stock airbox because I'm sick of the stupid improvised wire clips that the PO used to replace the missing rubber straps. I was also keen to replace the stock air filter with a washable reusable element, and thought that the cold air fixtures from Toucan Industries would look nice.

To do so, I had my welding buddy fab up a piece of aluminum tubing, 3" OD x 13" long. He reduced the passenger side end to 2.75" to accommodate the stock air boot, and welded the two nipples required for the breather / vac lines. I will eventually paint or powder-coat this piece.

In the process, I also re-installed the air-oil separator, which the PO had also removed. I had one from the 931 Ultra Wide Body project that it won't need, so I reinstalled it. Since my preluber installation takes up the second plug on the oil pan, I also installed an external breather element to the bottom of the air oil separator. Here are the photos:

Smoothie  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Up Fixin Der Engine Bay on my 941 Reply with quote

Looking good.

You lost me here though (the lower connection is an oil drain - aren't you going to end up with oil leaking out the added breather?) -
ideola wrote:
Since my preluber installation takes up the second plug on the oil pan, I also installed an external breather element to the bottom of the air oil separator.

'82 924T, US version, dark green metallic, 5 speed Audi 016G gearbox
tuurbo  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's a 941?
morghen  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tuurbo wrote:
What's a 941?

oh my...wrong key pressed. i like the head cover and the pipe&sport_filter i wanted to do the same on my car since some time now.
ideola  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

morghen wrote:
tuurbo wrote:
What's a 941?

oh my...wrong key pressed. i like the head cover and the pipe&sport_filter i wanted to do the same on my car since some time now.

Actually, no, it's not a typo. I did indeed mean to say 941. This car is not exactly a 931, and not exactly a 944. It started life as a 1980 (Series I) 931 with the snailshell gearbox. Somewhere along the way one or more of the previous owners changed the powerplant to a mostly Series II setup (but not completely, as it doesn't have the SII DITC).

But it also has a lot of 944 bits, including bonafide steel 944 quarter panels (NOT fiberglass knock-offs), front facia, and custom rocker panels. Apparently, the original 931 had the four lug, cuz this one was converted over using 944 bits (i.e. alum trailing arms et al) to a five lug setup. I know it had four lug originally because I just completed swapping out the handbrake cables, which had the original setup that came with the drum brake (i.e. four lug) configuration. I also replace the shredded, cracked vinyl 931 seats with some early 944 seats.

But it still has cues of the 931: the vented nose panel, naca duct hood, and smaller 931 tail spoiler. Since 941 was never designated (to the best of my knowledge) by Porsche to any of their models, I dubbed this car the "941" to avoid confusing it with the other 1980 931 I own (which is currently in pieces but being assembled into my Ultra Wide Body race car).

Here's a pic of the 941:

Here's a pic of the 931 UWB before I dismantled it (still awaiting rebuild as I slowly make progress on the monster motor:

ideola  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Up Fixin Der Engine Bay on my 941 Reply with quote

Smoothie wrote:
the lower connection is an oil drain - aren't you going to end up with oil leaking out the added breather?

Good question, Smoothie. I won't know until there's no salt on the roads here, though. When I got the car, the crannkcase breather was attached directly to the airbox with no air/oil separator, which didn't seem like a good idea to me, but also did not appear to produce a lot of oil into the air box. Of course, with the separate reinstalled, it may actually cause more of a draining problem, so we'll have to see what happens. If it becomes too big of a problem, I'll figure out some way to drain it, even if I end up having to rig up a catch can. We'll see what it does.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Tech. All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: