Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

price for a 1980 924 turbo
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
collectionofone  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2002 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would everyone pay for a 'good' 1980 924 turbo in working order? North American spec. car. Everything in working order, 84,000 miles. But no recipts, car was traded in to current dealer.

In a few weeks I will be going to see this car. The car is about 12 hours away, but I'm going through the area anyways, so if the car isn't what its made out to be it will not be a waste of a trip.

All input on a good, fair price appreciated. I also have this year's listing from Excellence magazine. I need lots of bargaining power!
collectionofone  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2002 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the sellers behalf I should mention the car has most all options, rear disc brakes, 16" rims, leather sport seats.
Diesel  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2002 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of variables...especially how much you want this car. Anywhere from $1500 to $5000. My wild-ass guess.
Tom_in_LA  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think someone else on this board had mentioned that regardless of your initial cost of getting a 931, you'd probably end up spending around ten grand to get it to work right. He/she may be only half serious with that comment, but it reinforces Diesel's point that there are lots of variables, unless you're an experienced mechanic with all the right tools, be prepared to spend some serious $$ when something goes wrong, that's if you can even find the parts.

I was willing to pay $2500 for a supposedly 'good' '80 931, but unexpected expenses totaled almost as much in short order. Part of the problem is lack of competent mechanics who know how to work on these cars, seems most shops just start R&R things till the symptoms go away.

Final comment, although I'd spend a lot more than I'd expected (and still not quite done yet) I don't regret getting it 'cause it's such a great ride
numbers  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom is exactly right, the main reason these cars are so cheap is because they cost a lot to maintain, and when something goes wrong, it is cheaper to sell it at a discount than it is to fix it. Therefore, almost everyone that comes up for purchase has something wrong with it. If you can fix it yourself, parts are not too expensive, with the exception of the engine and transmission internals. Also, used parts are readily availble through this site or on EBay. However, the work on these cars, although relatively straight forward, can be very time consuming because of the tight packaging. Ask someone who has replaced a clutch. The bottom line is, you will never get the bang for the buck any where else, like you can with these cars. You will get good straight line performance, outstanding handling, a comfortable,but exciting ride, very good styling, and a car that cost $25K US plus, in a time when $25K was like $60K now, all for $1500 to $4000. So, if you do end up putting a like amount into it over the first few years, you still have a real bargain. I bought my '80 in 1985 for $6000, when they were going for $12000 on car lots. But, I put a tremendous amount of work, and about $3000 in it over the next year. After that I have averaged about a $1000 a year in repairs/improvements, and I only drive it seven months out of the year. But, it is my toy, and I love it. I do not recommend it as an only car. It will make a fun daily driver, but it will break. If you have to depend on it to get to work or school, you will probably have to pay a mechanic to get it fixed quickly, and that will get expensive. If you have something else to drive, then you can take your time and diagnose the problem yourself, and buy the parts and fix it. Hope this helps.
jl924t  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my 1980 931 from a frien of a friend for $600.00 because he was tired of it nickle and dimeing him. Well $5,000.00 later I almost have all the mechanical problems solved, and have accumulated quite an inventory of spare parts just in case. Now it's time to go to work on the interior then paint. These cars are kinda like the old british leyland stuff where there is always a project to do. You're never bored with these cars. I am becoming quite educated and I sure like the Porsche symphony. Makes it all worth while.
John
collectionofone  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I go to look at the car I am going to go over it a few times. Although I want the car a great deal, I'm not going to pay more than $3000 for a car thats going to cost me more than that in the first year.

With these cars it sounds like a parts car would be a good idea, if I could get a hold of one.
Kansas931  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Kansas931 on 2002-05-05 09:14 ]
Rick MacLaren  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought mine for $5K. Body and interior are really nice. Blew da engine. Rebuild the engine, and transmission...$10K invested. Runs like new. Can beat a VR6, most BMW's incredible torque, 32 mpg average on it's first trip to and from Ottawa.
kyhm  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought mine exactly two years ago, for $6200 CDN, dealer was asking $7400 and had put a bunch of work into it. Since then I've put about $3000 into it, fixed the electrics, new stereo and alarm, new brakes and clutch hydraulics.

I figure I'll have spent $15000 by the time I've got everything sorted, which seems pretty good for a good-looking fast german sports car. Figure an IC/EBC into that, it'll be competitive with most quick cars on the road, for half- to one-third- the price.
John Brown  

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2002 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to po a few people; but please keep in mind I LIKE the cars. Just some observations for your consideration.

The objective price of ANY 924 or 931 is affected by the fact that you can buy a NICE 944 late version (85.5 and later) for 4 to 6 thousand. MUCH better comfort, quiet, AC, etc. For whatever reason a 924S is always cheaper than a like year 944 so a NICE 87/88 924S can be had for 6k or less.

In my area recently a 86 944 was purchased for 3k. Some elbow grease and $1500 later this is a very nice car. Is it better than a 3k 931?

Another 84 944 purchased for 4k. Car had already been repainted and it was a very good paint job. Rest of the car very clean and mechanicals in good condition. Owner has spent and expects to spend very little to keep this car going. Is it a better than a 3k 931?

I just sold an 82 924 for $2200. It was ugly, but mechanically EVERYTHING had been replaced, repaired, upgraded. Had the M471 package. I had the receipts to back it up. (And I do mean everything - all hoses, brake lines, brakes, mastercylinder, head job, alternator, wiring harness, battery, relays, wheel bearings, water pump, ...)

The only car of this model series which seems to be getting the usual Porsche inflation recently is the 951 Turbo 'S'. Which figures, as I was thinking about looking for one!

I recently acquired an 81 924 for my daughter. It was apparently a fairly clean car from a good home known to me. So far we have found:

1) Front wheel bearing completely shot. Wonder what the spindles will mic?

2) steering rack questionable. At least a tie rod and new boots required.

3) All alternator bushings gone.

4) Brake cylinders

5) Brake master

6) In tank fuel pump

7) fuel accumulator

cooling hoses

9) intermittant electrical drain/short

10) headlight motor sytem intermittant

11) turn signals inop

12) oil pressure guage flaky

13) leak over passenger footwell (are we surprised?)

14) There will be more, just you wait and see!!

So, at what price point would the 84 944 for $4000 have been a better deal?

John
82 924 (formerly)
81 924
80 931 (82 motor)
88 944
88 944 (parts)
93 Porsche Support Vehicle (Blazer full size)
numbers  

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2002 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to mention that a 944 just plain looks better.
dwak  

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Numbers but I've got to beg to differ. I think that after 'de-ratting' the 924's nose, you've got a much sleeker/slippery-er car than the bloated/water retaining 944. All in the eye of the beholder and, guess what, this is a 924 site. Not a 'how to turn a 924 into a 944 because the snobs are laughing at me' site. I'd sooner steal 944 parts for my 924/931.

dwak the pure
John Brown  

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't make up my mind which looks better. Depends which side of the bed I get up in the morning.
Kansas931  

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally the Euro 924 looks better than the US version, mainly those goofy looking round side marker lights stuck to the front and rear sides of the car.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: