Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

What calipers?? Help needed..
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gohim  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately the only parts that will fit are those from the 86 951 which is different from all other 951s because the wheel offset was changed for the 87 model year to accomodate different wheels in order to install ABS brakes.

The 86 951 has solid front spindles, so you will lose the spindle driven speedo if you convert to the 86 951 spindles. Drilling the spindle to install the spindle driven speedo is not recommend because there have been numerous instances of track failures on drilled spindles.

Some people have reported that you could drive converting to an electonic speedo driven by magnets and a sender off the rear cv axles, but I don't think that is worth the effort myself.

And, as I wrote before, the early 924 20mm brake master cylinder does not push enough fluid to run four piston brake calipers. The need to switch to a 951 master cylinder, and brake booster is real, and you will probably need to change the brakes from diagonal braking to front and rear circuits, and well as install a proportioning valve.
ic932  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as you have a 951 bodykit don't worry about wheel offsets to much. my advise would be to avoid the 86' year 951 and instead source parts from 87' onwards. the only specific 951/S2/968 parts you will need are the front hubs/spindles/discs and rear discs. everything else can be sourced very cheaply from ordinary 87- 944's.

think in terms of a "brake/suspension" conversion from the outset and not just adding big brakes to a 924! keep it porsche and avoid costly adapters and massive wheelspacers.

do you want your new fat wheels to fill your 951 wheel arches and the body to sit nice 'n' low? well if you do then you will be removing the ENTIRE rear suspension to re-index the torsion bars.

once you have got to that point and the rear beam is out of the car it is childs play to re-route your brake lines to a front/back configuration. any 944 servo/master cylinder will work.

once the brake lines and servo/m.c have been completed then it's time to bolt on or your replacment 944 parts (87-) to your re-indexed suspension beam........
sparky  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys,

Thanks for the great responses!

So really before I dig myself a deep hole, i want to make sure I have not misunderstood something..

It is possible to fit these parts, and the source car would have to be a 86 951. The main barriers are changing the master cylinder & brake booster.
And re-passing all the brake lines and fit a proportioning valve. I have been doing alot of reading around here.. I presume I will need the later style aluminum trailing arms and I will also need to change the brake light sensor. The other barrier is getting the speedo to work..

Is this correct?

If so, I am for once re-thinking all this.. but as I as unfortuantely a fan of calipers and cool looking rotors (i cant figure out why I love these so much) Is there a way to get all 931 parts and still get some nice slotted rotors and decent sized calipers on there? This may be a stupid question, but its better to ask now than to pay later..

Also as it states in the FAQ, I presume I will have to change the master cylinder to one from an 81 931. Will I still need to split front/rear for braking or will it use the existing setup? I am very grey on this area..

Any help/advice always appreciated!!!
SparkY

1976 Euro 924 (The 945) - Full 951 Brakes/Suspension

1998 Boxster with goodies
2002 3.0 Xtype 4wd sport
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: