Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Subaru

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2002 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I woke up in the middle of the night with a grand thought... How about a Subaru Turbo. The engines just about grow on trees, they have a low profile so they would fit under the hood, and are opposed like other Porsche engines. I know they are not German, but so what! Kit airplane builders are using them in droves cause they fit the bill of being same profile as Continentals and Lycomings so they fit under the cowl. Lots of hi-tech parts avaiable also. They are exceedingly tough engines to boot. Might just be the engine Porsche should have built into the 924 to continue with the tradition of opposed cylinders and water cooling. I think they are also vey light. This is hot!
dwak  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2002 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd have to mount it sideways(sounds like an old girlfriend) to make it fit!
dwak
Peter_in_AU  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2002 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the sideways mounting shouldn't be a problem (like dwak's old girlfriend) because of the kit plane popularity as you say Richard.

What about the width of the scooby motor? Also there might be a problem with ground clearance when the engine is lined up with the transaxle - the exhausts come out the under side of the motor don't they?

Be great for handling tho, all that weight sitting almost at ground-level.
Cbass  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2002 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not a very practical swap. A V8 is possible because the V shape is rather compact, but still kind of big to wedge in a 924. A boxer engine is very flat and low, yes. It is also fairly wide, which is not a problem in a car built for one, or a car with a lot of room. A 924 doesn't fit into either category.

Sorry.

Mounting it sideways would result in all sorts of problems with the cooling and oil systems. That's not counting uneven engine wear and other things.
Peter_in_AU  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2002 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sideways being north-south crankshaft rather than east-west. You'll probably have to talk to dwak off-line for more details
Richard  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2002 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK already, should have stayed asleep.
The Subaru motor does have the transaxle mounted directly behind so you would have to make a bellhousing. It is a bit too wide, at around 30", plus room to remove the valve covers. The 924 is 28" side to side, so it looks like a no go....unless someone is really determined. Would have been a great swap though. Sigh.
Cbass  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2002 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would be nice... I'd rather see a 968 Turbo motor in it though. But thats probably a side effect of my being clinically insane
dwak  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2002 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Subaru would be a good match for a 912. I think.
dwak
Rick MacLaren  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2002 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bah! Subaru? Bah!
Cbass  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2002 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahaha. I agree Rick, a Subaru motor really has no business being in a Porsche. Then again, a 912 has no business being called a Porsche.
Mark CSC  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2002 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subaru engine in a 356 anyone?

http://www.ricola.co.uk/scoobyswap.htm
http://www.ricola.co.uk/scoobyinstall.htm
jamez  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO, if you are gonna go through all the trouble putting a different engine in a 924 it should be something really bad ass, like a 951 motor, or a supercharged LT1. for how much work it would take to put a different engine in, I would hope for atleast 400hp...
Cbass  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2002 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. If you're going to the trouble of it, do it right!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: