Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Integral Cams
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RC  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:40 am    Post subject: Integral Cams Reply with quote

Am considering a new cam and have been looking at those available from Integral.

So I an interested in hearing feedback and comments from anyone who may be running one.
Things like what grind you have and obviously how it performs, any reliability issues, problems, whatever?

Thanks,
Roger
Neil924  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: Integral Cams Reply with quote

RC wrote:
Am considering a new cam and have been looking at those available from Integral.

So I an interested in hearing feedback and comments from anyone who may be running one.
Things like what grind you have and obviously how it performs, any reliability issues, problems, whatever?

Thanks,
Roger

I bought one last year from IC, it was a stage one for a '77 NA Euro, looked great, works even better.
morghen  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what are the prices for these things now ?
Min  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.integralcams.com/924.htm

330 dollars us for any grind

Min
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who has run one of these in a 931?

• Red (1987 924S) - Pro44/Spec944
Min  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rasta Monsta wrote:

Last I checked, bass gt had a integral stage 2

Min
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
morghen  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rasta Monsta wrote:

i dont know but i'm getting a stage 1 soon.
RC  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have exchanged emails with Steve Gruenwald at Integral and found him quick to reply and very willing to help. He recommends the turbo grinds as also being optimal for a blown application. I am considering the stage 1 grind.

As Rasta also asks, Can anyone who has run one in a 931 turbo (or belt driven) give some feedback?

Neil924, what performance increase and/or shift in the powerband did you notice on your NA? Did you lose any low to midrange?

Have been reading previous posts on cams and read Porschev wasnt super impressed with it, or was that before it all was running well?

Roger
bass gt  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy's

I have a stage 2 in my race car. Having read A LOT about turbo cams, i don't think these are the route if you have a street car. My race car has nothing below 3k and then comes in with a bang. We tried backing the cam off with a vernier, and it improved the low end but killed the top end. I am seriously thinking of going over to the stock profile or the improved stock. All that i have read sems to point to turbo motors not liking long duration cams. And all that i have read from other peoples experience mirrors my findings.
So in short, be VERY careful going for the high stage cams. I think for a nice streetable motor the stock grind is ideal.
Look at macbdog. he has 5psi at 2k. I have 3 psi at 3k, then all of it. Joakim's power plot is the same, and i am 99% sure he was using an aggresive cam.

Steve
Neil924  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RC wrote:

Neil924, what performance increase and/or shift in the powerband did you notice on your NA? Did you lose any low to midrange?

Have been reading previous posts on cams and read Porschev wasnt super impressed with it, or was that before it all was running well?

Roger

I didn't get the cam for "performance gains" so I didn't notice any increase in acceleration, also I didn't lose anything.

Porschev tuned it in a little more I think but I was happy. The even sent a letter telling you how to break the cam in. Good guys.
Joakim  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Guy's

I have a stage 2 in my race car. Having read A LOT about turbo cams, i don't think these are the route if you have a street car. My race car has nothing below 3k and then comes in with a bang. We tried backing the cam off with a vernier, and it improved the low end but killed the top end. I am seriously thinking of going over to the stock profile or the improved stock. All that i have read sems to point to turbo motors not liking long duration cams. And all that i have read from other peoples experience mirrors my findings.
So in short, be VERY careful going for the high stage cams. I think for a nice streetable motor the stock grind is ideal.
Look at macbdog. he has 5psi at 2k. I have 3 psi at 3k, then all of it. Joakim's power plot is the same, and i am 99% sure he was using an aggresive cam.

Steve

Hello!

Steve you have 100% right I still have an aggressive cam, the engine need about 3500 rpm to start moving and the rev limiter set at 7800Rpm

Best regards Joakim
bass gt  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joakim!!

Hi, how are you!! Thanks for your mails in the past. Much help, thanks.
Now, concerning cams, i have done a bit of reading and have a germ of an idea forming.
Now longer duration is not a good thing on a turbo engine, for several reasons. What we want is a stock cam but with more lift.
So to this end, i am going to contact Steve at integral, and see if it is possible to make a stock cam, but with a reduced base circle. This will effectively increase the lift, but without opening up the duration.
Joakim, i have a fairly agressive cam in mine too, and have the exact same trait. Nothing until 3.5K, then woosh!! Fun, but not what i want in my race car.
Keep you all posted.

Steve
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job, you guys. Design & test us all up a great new profile!

FWIW, I'd like to see better bottom end torque off-boost, and make up for those characteristics by use of boost up high. . .

rasta

• Red (1987 924S) - Pro44/Spec944
PORSCHEV  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can still say that I am unimpressed by the stage 1 cam in the 924 euro engine. My 78 924 with a california spec engine in a much lighter car feels MUCH for powerfull.

1978-#53 "D" track racer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
leadfoot  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many hp's are you planning on making??
consider that the GT made 210hp and used the same cam as the turbo...
your drive line is rated at about 225, this is what I have pried out of a few porsche dismantlers,
extra duration will lower your dynamic compression, kill your MPG and kill low end under 2000K is trash, vaccum goes down from 20"Hg anywhere to 14"Hg and makes your car harder to start and idle rougher.
extra lift could cause your valve springs to bind,
My cam was made from reducing the base circle and the reduced lift hasn't affected making high Hp's, 208+ SC driveline loss at 9.6psi
stick with stock or improved stock.
The best improvement I have done on the car was to change to the turbo head.
Leadfoot
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 11 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: