Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Wastegate J-pipe nuts - special wrench? Exhaust work...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Petrovich  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:30 am    Post subject: Wastegate J-pipe nuts - special wrench? Exhaust work... Reply with quote

I don't know how I got it off. Now I need it back on, and it's way too hard .

Do I need some sort of special wrench to tighten these nuts? The two further away for me are super-hard, there's no space to stick a normal wrench or a socket in there. I think I dropped the starter and used a crow bar to push away the main exhaust last time, do I really have to do that again?

Second, how hard is it to remove a broken stud? Can I replace it with a bolt? Luckily it's the easiest one to get to, I can even use a drill on it if I have to.

Speaking of broken things, wastegate-to-main pipe mount was sheared. I couldn't get a look this morning - how is it attached to the wastegate? Can I just replace it or do I have to weld it?

And last question - my turbo seems to be missing a turbo-to-manifold bolt. It's the one on top, closer to the firewall. Looks like whoever replaced the turbo didn't put it in. I tried to wiggle a random bolt in there and failed What's the right size, thread, and length? Any special trick I can use to put it in?
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your part questions are answered in the PET. I would strongly recommend Porsche hardware for this project, but there are folks around here who would tell you the factory parts are not worth the price.

As I recall, I used either a crow's foot on those nuts or a couple wobbler extensions. Maybe a universal joint?

Good luck,

rasta

• Red (1987 924S) - Pro44/Spec944
Petrovich  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, The wastegate stud is a M8x32, so I can just use a bolt there, I guess.
For the turbo bolt, I'm not so lucky - I have "931 123 197 00" - Shouldered Bolt (duh). So, do I just walk up to any Porsche dealership and hand them the part number?

I feel like I'm gonna have to shed some blood on this one

---- edit ----

Nevermind, I need an 8Mx25mm hex bolt - what I need is a turbo-to-block mount bolt. That makes it a lot easier. Thanks for the PET pointer, looks like a great reference tool.
924guy  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use just "any" stud and nut, youll have to keep an eye on things, as the heat from the turbo will destroy it pretty fast. those shouldered locking nuts are expensive, but if you want to do it right..
to get to the top nuts, you need a combination of long , short, and swivel extensions, as well as open and closed end wrenches, its a pita, but it is possible, ive done it several times unfortunately
the waste gate bracket will probably need to be welded, mine did the same thing, they have a tendency to crack long wise. im actually considering welding in a bit of steel mesh to give it a very slight amount of flex. the solid mount doesnt hold up over time. others have welded flex sleeves into their j-pipes to achieve a similar result.
as for your broken stud, it depend how much of it is sticking out. sometimes you can thread a couple of thin nuts on and back it out that way, or weld another bolt to it..if its flat with the surface, your going to have to use that drill... ive been stuck trying to get a stripped hex nut drilled out for over a month now, so im the wrong person to comment here i guess. all i can say is what ever you do, dont break a hardened steel tap in the hole you drill..

good luck..
99' VehiCross
Y2K Honda Insight
http://www.cardomain.com/id/924Guy
Performance by Pasha
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Tech. All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: