Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Shorting electrical system

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eturbo924  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject: Shorting electrical system Reply with quote

Ok guys. The saga continues. For those in the know... the 1980 924 with the blown transmission...

Ok new owner got a parts car and swapped transmissions. Ah the car runs but shifting was very stiff. Come to find out he likely bent the shifter bar when taking the old trans out. So I told him to enjoy the car for a week or two and then we will go back in and swap out the bar for the one he has in his parts car.

So off he goes and 1.5 hours later he is back. The clutch cable had come jumped off the bracket. We got it back together but when he let down the parking brake and moved the shift lever the car died!

He managed to crawl under the car and saw that the shift bar touches one of the rear brake lines. When this happens the lights dim and flicker. If he held the brake line away from the shifter bar the lights are good and strong.

So question. Is there an electrical line that runs back past the shifter bar area that could have been damaged? I plan to crawl under the donor car (whos' trans is out) and see what I can see tonight. (It was 10pm when he showed up last night.) Do you think the fuel pump line could cause the whole electrical system to short out?

One other piece. He was in behind the dash trying to get the speedo to work before he set out... this might have some thing or nothing to do with this issue.

Anyway I have had some thing similar happen when I crushed a WUR line in the clutch bell housing. Ah that was fun to diagnose. I told him to check to see if he did a similar thing with a fuel pump line in the rear bell housing.

Opions?

Oh one other thing. From those who might have done this. I assume you need to pull the transmission in order to get the shifter bar out? I have done three transmissions but never really noted to see if I could pull the shifter bar out with out the transmission being out of the car.

Thanks

Eric
Parts Parts Parts and More parts.
E-mail me for parts you need!
Drive Fast!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: