Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

What speakers fit?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peebles24  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:21 am    Post subject: What speakers fit? Reply with quote

Crutchfield says the 924 takes 4X6's in the front and rear. I haven't pulled the dash speaker cover off but it looks more like it will be a single dual voice coil speaker. Crutchfield also says there is six speakers in the car. I only see 3 locations.

What do you guys have in yours what fits well under the factory grills.

Thank You,
Chad P.

1991 Toyota FJ80
968rz  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They just give you all possable choices. When I checked my 24 it said the same as you (2-4x6 in frt, 2-6x9 in side, 2-4x6 in rear) this is wrong, from the factory I have 2-4x6 in rear and thats it. The dash speaker is for the mono radio (if anyone ever picked it) and is not there in my car (had original stereo). As my carpet is far from perfect I opted to cut it at the cubbies and install some 6x9s, this really improved the sound (still not the best but better)
Hope this helps

PS. they don't even list a 968, like it was never built
02 Trailblazer Red 5spd auto (wife's winter car)
06 Jetta sedan Graphite Blue 6spd Tip (my winter car)
Smoothie  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine got the 2 rear seat side 4x6's and a single 4x6 in the top-center dash spot. -And a fader control near the shift lever. The front-center and rear-left are on the same stereo channel.

The OE speakers were the simple oval single cone design. I replaced the rears with 4x6 plate speakers (they have a 4" round woofer mounted next to a small tweeter on a 4x6" plate). For the front, I used an oval 4x6 plate speaker with the tweeter suspended at front-center. I just had to trim the plate a bit to make it fit.

There were different speaker arrangements - some, like mine with the fader, used 4ohm at all 3 positions; while others, without the fader, used a mix of 8ohm and 4ohm speakers.

'82 924T, US version, dark green metallic, 5 speed Audi 016G gearbox
924guy  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my 82 was similar to smoothies, except both left and right front channels play through the single dash speaker, yes both the plumbing is a mess, originally designated the "premium" sound system, and the rear channel is the same as all others, under the 1/4 windows on each side.
there is space for 4x6's in the doors, like the later models had.

if your going to stick with the 4x6's, polk or infinity plates styles work well, in my 82, i wired the three original speakers to the front channel, through the original wiring so the center speaker still carries both left and right channels via the fader, the wiring is a maze of spaghetti.. and used a set of 6x9 boxes in the hatch
99' VehiCross
Y2K Honda Insight
http://www.cardomain.com/id/924Guy
Performance by Pasha
Mike924  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These fit and they're Porsche factory fitment to current models.

'There is no substitute for a little grease under your fingernails.' - Chrenan, 924board.org
peebles24  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 60 ElCamino I used to have had a single speaker in the front. I replaced it with 2 3 1/2's, I used a piece of metal and two bolts to hold them together. I may try that in this opening.

1991 Toyota FJ80
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: