Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

factory turbo engines and turbo kits? <-newb

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the4ork  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:34 pm    Post subject: factory turbo engines and turbo kits? <-newb Reply with quote

sorry for the newbish post...

im in the market for a 924S as i just got done getting an n/a back on the road and im not impressed with the power coming out of that engine.

which leads my to questions.

924S's are kinda hard to come by, in fact i have seen very few listed on craigslist for sale throughout the state recently....

944 na's are everywhere, and 944T's are a little more than what i'd like to spend...

so the options are wait out for a nice 924S, or buy an n/a engine and add a turbo kit...

but here lies the problem, i think i read on this forum somewhere no kit exists for the 924 na engine... so what about the 944 2.5 na?

or should i just hold out for a nice 924S?

im just asking because i have no problem installing a kit if there is one available, i think it would be fun. plus it would give me an excuse to get a new wideband
!tom  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: factory turbo engines and turbo kits? <-newb Reply with quote

the4ork wrote:
But here lies the problem, i think i read on this forum somewhere no kit exists for the 924 na engine...

Well, you were misled then. There are a number of kits. None are still in production though, and they are difficult to come by.
ideola  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I follow your question...are you asking about off-the-shelf turbo conversions for the 2.0L or the 2.5L?

For the 2.0L, there were two systems produced by now-defunct companies, BAE and Windblown. Here's a good thread on the topic:
Vintage Turbo Conversion Documentation Thread
Also, if you look in the Performance Upgrade thread under Forced Induction, you will see links to other people's homemade turbo conversions.

If you're looking for bolt-on forced induction for the 2.5L NA engine (944 & 924S), the only one I'm aware of is the supercharger kit by Speedforce.
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ideola wrote:
Supercharger kit by Speedforce.

That is what I'm torquin' about.

Rocco R16V  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rasta Monsta wrote:
That is what I'm torquin' about.

$5500
ideola  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocco R16V wrote:
$5500

'zactly! is right.
alexvex  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sell the 924S and buy a 944 turbo...simple as that
Or you could bolt everything from the 944 turbo up to your 924S, you'd just have to adapt the 944 turbo DME and wiring. And then upgrade your brakes. And then upgrade your transmission. And then upgrade your clutch. And then... And then... By the time you do that you'll have more invested than a 944 turbo would cost.

944 turbos are CHEAP nowadays...you can pick a decent running one up for under $4k.

I too started out with a 924S that I wanted to turbo. I even bought the exhaust manifolds and crossover pipe and was working on collecting more turbo parts. Then I got smart and sold them. I then bought a 924 Turbo and then quickly moved onto a 944 turbo...now I couldn't be happier!
2010 Touareg TDI
Past Pcars: 80 931, 87 924S, 87 951
tuurbo  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
or should i just hold out for a nice 924S?

Good choice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: