Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

old trans -new oil question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
augidog  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: old trans -new oil question Reply with quote

I finally got the trans off the parts car. The coupling was rusted. Someone said in another post to just use a extension ratchet and a hammer-That did the trick once I got a good corner shot to hit
Before I sink some cash into Swepco fluid I filled it with some wall mart 85-145 weight gear oil. This is in case the trans is bad and to give it a good rinse.
I never saw 85-145 weight fluid before. I guess it means up to and all in between. Is it ok to run for a week or two with this general fluid? The fluid was low and dirty on the parts car. No leaks that I can see.
Mike924  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Porsche recommended viscosity range is 80 - 90 iirc. The 85 - 145 multigrade is correct at the bottom end, which is good for when the gearbox is cold. The 145 top-end will make it a bit heavy when it's warm, so you might have a bit of trouble attempting fast changes and your gas mileage might go up a bit, but overall I don't seem that any harm will be done.

Still, change to the correct grade as soon as you can.

'There is no substitute for a little grease under your fingernails.' - Chrenan, 924board.org
John Brown  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

times 2

Common misconception that heavier oil is better. Not true for either engines of transmissions.

The idea of using inexpensive stuff for a short time to flush is good. Using the wrong viscosity not so good. But not fatal.
80 931 - #931 44Cup
99 Escalade - tows track cars
gone but not forgotten: original 924.org car - 82
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: