Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Removing 931 nose panel / 951 IC install

View previous topic :: View next topic  
-nick  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:41 am    Post subject: Removing 931 nose panel / 951 IC install Reply with quote

Hey folks,
I'm thinking about relocating the intercooler into the nose and using the space in front of the engine for an air filter (properly shrouded from heat of course). I don't have room to fit a decent sized filter otherwise. I want to get an idea of what I'm getting into before I start cutting/drilling!

First, is it worth cutting out a 951 front section to weld in place of the 931 to mount the IC in the nose? Obviously the I could use the stock IC mounts and plumbing into the engine bay. Is there anything to watch out for? And anyone parting a 951 or have this panel cut out already? (paging Mr. Zuffen...)

Tigger937 - do you have some detailed pics of your install? Would be worth a million to anyone considering this!

"First the intercooler mount:
You'll need a radiator crossmember from a 944T complete with lower hood latch assembly (easy find at a Porsche boneyard) as it provides the needed clearance holes for the intercooler pipes. The hardest part of the mounting process is removing the nose and old radiator crossmember/air deflector/bottom hood latch assembly since there are 100 spot welds holding it in place. ........just drill 'em out, it goes pretty quick with a sharpened drill bit. The 944T radiator crossmember easily fits right in place. I just used small machine screws in the existing drilled holes to remount in place. (I know, pretty tacky, but body work is not my speciality ) It's all concealed anyway with the hood closed!!! Next, you'll need to cut about 2 inches off the top of the frame crossmember (not the same as the radiator crossmember) behind the bumper to make room for the intercooler to sit under the nose. A sawzall works well for this. (Sounds painful, I know) The intercooler actually tilts downward at about a 30 degree angle that parallels the slope of the nose sitting directly behind the 4 air vents. You'll need to fabricate 4 small "L" brackets to mount the intercooler. Best thing to do is take a look at a 951 intercooler installation and you can see how it sits. After it's mounted, just pop the nose panel back on and use machine screws to secure utilizing the existing holes you drilled earlier. "

Also, I'm going to assume that I don't have to worry about exterior paint work, right? None of the spot welds are in noticeable places are they?

Last of all, how tough is it to make the header panel so that it can be bolted in/out?

I intend to pick up Smoothie's recommended spot-weld removal tool to at least make that part a bit less painful-
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_36327_36327

This is the best pic I could find of the nose panel removed (thanks Alex for the pic!)-

Here is a good shot of the 951 parts welded in place of the original 931 space (thanks ?? for the pic!)-

fitted-

And some good shots of the 951 nose panel from Lindsey-
http://www.lindseyracing.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=LR&Category_Code=INTSWAP
15psi boost, MS-II, EDIS, 951 IC, custom intake, Ford 5.0L throttle body, Forge BOV, WB o2, G31 w/LSD, 964 wheels, 968 rear sway, Bilsteins, 200# Welt. springs. A laptop, and a partridge in a pear tree.
1991 964 C4 Cabriolet

Last edited by -nick on Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:35 am; edited 1 time in total
bass gt  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick,

I looked at doing this, but i think there is an easier way. Rather than cutting the front up, mount the IC as i have but a little lower, so it clears the stock hood catch. Then lower the radiator sufficiently so it all meets back up. I found it a lot simpler to fit the IC, then mod/relocate the rad, rather than cutting the front of the car off to fit a 951 crossmember.
Alternitively, angle the rad sufficiently to fit. There is plently of room.
For example, i had a new custom rad made, much thicker and with a wider core than thestock item. Although it was shorter, the overall surface area was equivalent, so no loss in cooling. If that works, you then have the perfect opportunity to fit a hood vent

Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: