Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

need quick help
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
edd1em  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2001 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i screwed up. tried to change the timing belt without marking the oil pump wheel. i turned the engine over, now how do i make it work? On the oil wheel there are some holes they are:
(1) 4 holes in a row with a bigger gap between hole #2,3 then between 1 and 2 or 3 and 4
(2) 1 hole
(3) 2 holes in a row
There is also an arrow by the oil wheel which I suppose is there for you to match one of the marks to. I have tried everything, took me 8 hours on a saturday and my car does not start. Rest assured my car started before, I need it to work by monday at the latest or im screwed. Thanx in advance.
cs  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2001 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

could you turn the engine over until the timing mark was on tdc. shouldn't that match the mark on the cam gear. please tell me if i'm wrong because i think that's how mine was done.
edd1em  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2001 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That part I got down. But lets say you turned the cam(the wheel that controls the valves and stuff), while the bottom wheel(oil pump) was not moved(it also turns the pistons and stuff). What would you do then? I could align the cam, but cannot align the oil pump. PLEASE HELP
cs  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2001 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dunno, i'm a little confused now, did you take any gears or pulleys off. if not then i would just align the flywheel witht the time mark and there should be an arrow on the cam gear that will line up with a little tab thing sticking up from the valve cover, i think. but maybe we have different cars, i didn't even think about that. what do you have.
edd1em  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2001 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

81 924 I did not take any pulleys off. I just dont know how to align the bottom wheel(oil pump). I took the window off to look at the fly wheel, but could not find a mark. But, the bottom wheel has an arrow like the top wheel but no yellow mark. The wheel at the bottom has the aforementioned holes that I guess should line up with the arrow. Take a look at your engine, look at wheel on the bottom where the ac belt should be (My AC broke so I dont have a belt there), you will notice the arrow and the holes. Do you know where to align that?

[ This Message was edited by: edd1em on 2001-08-27 01:25 ]
ricomartinez  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2001 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edd1em,
Sounds like the window you are looking at is the clutch inspection window, viewed from underneath the car. The window you need to look through is the one when checking the ignition timing with a timing light. It is best visible from above on the drivers side (US models), and is located at the back of the engine near the firewall. You are looking at the flywheel through this hole. You rotate the engine until you see the top-dead-center (TDC) (I believe it is marked "0 deg") mark on the flywheel. Now your crank, oil-pump, pistons, etc. are at the TDC position. Now, you just put the cam at the TDC position by rotating it until the dot on the cam sprocket matches up with the arrow on the cam cover (when viewing from the back of cam sprocket). The cam and crank are now positioned as they should be with respect to eachother. Just put the belt on and you are good to go.
PS - I think it would be a good idea to take the recent advice you gave to marky522 in "MORE clutch problems."

[ This Message was edited by: ricomartinez on 2001-08-27 03:42 ]
edd1em  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2001 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this hole underneath the car?
larso  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2001 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the timing belt is really easy on the 924, 2 pulleys to line up.

Line up the cam sprocket dot or slash with the pointer on the cam cover.

Line up the TDC on the flywheel with the marker on teh bellhousing.

sinch.

edd1em  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2001 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no mark!!
larso  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2001 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

probably rusted or dirty, take a wet towel or alochol or something and rub while u turn the engine by hand!

the other thing you do, is take a spark plug out, stick a coat hanger in the cylinder to feel when #1 cyl is up top at TDC to get a general idea.

Turn engine by hand, when your wire moves up and then for a split second starts going back down that is tdc right there.

remember #1 cyl is closest to front of car.

[ This Message was edited by: larso on 2001-08-27 06:00 ]
edd1em  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2001 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about the mark on the oil pump?
larso  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2001 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is a little nick mark on the oil pump pulley, the pulley that drives the accessory belts, on the 931, but on some 924s people have had trouble finding them, the flywheel marker is always better to use.
edd1em  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2001 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larso, you as usual are right. Could find no nick on the oil pump pulley. Found the thing you were talking about in the window. And then ended up taking out the 1st spark plug and doing the thing with the spark plug.
larso  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2001 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

did the coat hanger get caught in the valves? thats the annoying thing, i was suckin coolant outta my 931 cylinder into a container using gravity and the straw and hose always hit the damn valves.

[ This Message was edited by: larso on 2001-08-27 11:18 ]
edd1em  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2001 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a big screw driver. Had no problems. Marked the oil pump pulley with nice white nail polish, my girlfriends favorite!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: