Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Preliminary Investigation
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is this investigation worth it?
Yes, I'd be interested in the results and if its viable, consider it myself.
44%
 44%  [ 4 ]
Yes, I'd be interested in the results since you're doing the work.
33%
 33%  [ 3 ]
Yes, I'd be interested in the results but would never consider it.
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
Yes, but find another donor vehicle, don't ruin your Porsche
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
No, its just a waste of time, you'll never get around to it.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No, why spent $6k+ on a conversion when the car is never going to be worth half that much.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 9

skemcin  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich H wrote:
First of all, keep up the good work!

But why a 924? Why not start with a much lighter chassis in the first place? Either start with a car that is much lighter and adapt that (Lotus Elise for example an earlyu version has a kerb weight of 750-800kgs 1700lbs in full trim) or why not look at a kit car or similar that can be built with elecric power in mind form the start. Something like a Caterham/Westfield/Locost (600kgs/1400lbs in full lightweight trim)
Thanks and I hear ya on your point. But, the short of it is, I havea 924 in my garage - two in fact.

I plan on attending my local Electric Auto Association (eaaev.org) in July where they are starting to convert a 944. I hope to mainly get information on how much the total weight of the electric conversion, standing alone, is so that I can post those results here in addition to what I find in 924 weight savings. From that information, individuals should be able to make a determination on their own.

Again, very valid point and if I afford to have an Elise in my driveway I'd probably be looking at a Tesla and avoid even having to worry about all this.

9249206347 - 8k – waiting its resurrection, no power at the fuel pump and fuse #7 blows w/power
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
endwrench  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if you should decide in the end to not do this, please post what info you garner and any pros or cons you should run across. It is still very interesting.

Todd
N-Dub  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.worldcarfans.com/news.cfm/country/ecf/newsID/2060724.006/mini/pml-builds-640hp-electric-mini

Ha Ha Ha
skemcin  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

N-Dub wrote:
http://www.worldcarfans.com/news.cfm/country/ecf/newsID/2060724.006/mini/pml-builds-640hp-electric-mini

Ha Ha Ha
Yeah, that's a nice conversion and its one that Rat noted (indirectly) in his post earlier:
http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?p=186507#186507

The inwheel motors are pretty sweet:
  • It is adaptable to other vehicle chassis
  • It eliminates the need for gearing and mechanical drive train
  • It allows more space inside the car

For anyone interested, the Fox Valley Electric Auto Association is just about to start a conversion of a 944. I plan to attend the meetings to see how this goes over and see what I can learn. Meeting dates, times, and location on the referenced website.

p.s. check it out, its a four bolt
http://images5.worldcarfans.com/news/2060724.006/2060724.006.mini3L.jpg
9249206347 - 8k – waiting its resurrection, no power at the fuel pump and fuse #7 blows w/power
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
skemcin  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some figures to post - but since there is little to formatting capabilities in the forum replies, I'll make a little graphic for it. I'll try to get to it today.

Interesting findings. Its relatively easy to get a min. range of 40 miles with a max of 70 miles off a system. But I am working on some calculations that will show the weight requirement to achieve a 60 mile min. and 100+ mile max. This will tell me what weight savings to shoot for - if possible (i.e. fiberglass hood and all quarters, window glass with lexan, etc.).

I have to plug the guys (namely Bob) at EVAmerica who provide these baseline calculations free of charge. You've got to supply, among other things, the year/make/model of the car and general driving conditions (topography and temperature). The numbers are plugged into a system that calculates a variety of things. Again, I'll share these as I get them summarized and translated into more layman's terms.
skemcin  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been tracking this for a while, when more details are posted, I'll let you know.

One thing I learned was that the hardest thing they had to do was the custom mounting bracket that connected the electric motor to the transmission bell housing.

One guy I spoke to actually had this to say (paraphrasing):
"This car is a masterpiece - the frame curves all over the place and was hard to find good spots to put things, namely batteries - its a work of art, I really began to appreciate it"

I know its a 944 but we all know where that car came from.

Anyway, it was an interesting build and I'm eager to see how it pans out - range, top speed, and handling.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: