Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

MS wiring w/ EDIS *update1*
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lizard  

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: MS wiring w/ EDIS *update1* Reply with quote

Well gents,

I am prepping for installation of MSII V3.0 into the 928 and have gotten alot done.

here is the crank trigger wheel with pickup, I had the wheel water jet cut and then just had to touch it up with a file on the inside bore. It replaces a factory pulley and it held in place by the front crank bolt and will not spin out of alignment. I do have 7 more of these wheels if anyone wants them $20 us plus shipping.

here is a pic showing the entire harness thus far.

here is the interior side of the wiring, the board is factory and sits infront of the fuse panel, I have installed the LED for the WB in it hence why it is in the pic.

Here is the engine bay side of things, I am using the factory IAT sensor, and CLT sensor hence the bosch connectors for them. As you can see I havent done the air control valve wiring yet, as I am not sure if I will do a fast idle valve off a VW, or if I will use the factory unit which may require abit of programming. You can also see the two shielded wires and the switched (and fused) wire for the EDIS module, along with abit of EDIS wiring.

I still have the factory EFI in the car and will have to tear it all out before I can put this in and attempt to start the car. I am sure I will have a few things that I will need to adjust here or there but it is coming along smoothly. And hope to fire the car up on MS/EDIS within the week.

Last edited by Lizard on Wed May 30, 2007 5:39 am; edited 1 time in total
endwrench  

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! Very nice EDIS wheel for the money. Anyone else considering EDIS on a 928 should jump on one for such little money. This is the hardest part of the swap.

You'll feel like Dr. Frankenstein the first time it fires up

Todd
Lizard  

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have most of the EDIS wired into the harness now, all that is left is the 4 trigger wires to the coil packs.

Tomorrow I am going to go and have a custom set of 8.5mm leads made up.
endwrench  

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you'll be glad you went with the EDIS module setup as I know you had the option to run extra VB931's and run the coils direct from the MS but you would have no fail safe system. The EDIS modules are bulletproof. Ford has used them since the late 80's and I have yet to replace one (I,m an auto tech).

Do you have the option to just get the ignition up and running first before tackling the fuel end? It makes things a little less complicated than trying to tackle both at the same time. It isn't impossible though.

Todd
Tigger937  

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, is it possible to modify one of these wheels to fit a 931?

"Think outside the box"
Lizard  

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes it is, but you will have to take it to a machine shop and have them increase the bore in the middle so that it slips over the 924 pulley and then tackweld it in place on the pulley, imo it isnt worth it and would be cheaper to have a few made up with the dimensions you need, but if you would like one, it is your choice.

I dont really have the option of running just the edis to start with as I am building the switched ign wire into the new harness as well as the timing advance (SAW) wire as well.

I will be picking up brand new custom 8.5mm spark plug wires for the car tomorrow and I have pretty much everything else done, I may end up making a slightly beefier bracket to mount the coil packs to though.
Lizard  

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes it is, but you will have to take it to a machine shop and have them increase the bore in the middle so that it slips over the 924 pulley and then tackweld it in place on the pulley, imo it isnt worth it and would be cheaper to have a few made up with the dimensions you need, but if you would like one, it is your choice.

I dont really have the option of running just the edis to start with as I am building the switched ign wire into the new harness as well as the timing advance (SAW) wire as well.

I will be picking up brand new custom 8.5mm spark plug wires for the car tomorrow and I have pretty much everything else done, I may end up making a slightly beefier bracket to mount the coil packs to though.
Lizard  

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you can see I have the harness pretty much complete with all the wiring for the EDIS completed,

I am just waiting for the plug wires and then I will be ready to do the convertion,

one large thing I cannot wait for is the factory brain retards the ign from 40 deg advance to about 25 under WOT, so if I take it above 70% throttle acceleration drops off alot, I hope to be able to rectify this with the MS.
Chrenan  

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking Good Lizard!
Lizard  

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update,

I picked up the new wires, will post a pic of those later.
I then plugged in the EDIS portion of the harness and supplied power to the edis system and well long story short it fired right up on the EDIS with NO problems and my timing is dead on at 10 BTDC no adjustments needed.

Man I hope the whole install goes this smoothly,
I cannot run it with just the edis as the harness is sticking out the nose of the car.
Martijnus  

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lizard wrote:
Update,

I picked up the new wires, will post a pic of those later.
I then plugged in the EDIS portion of the harness and supplied power to the edis system and well long story short it fired right up on the EDIS with NO problems and my timing is dead on at 10 BTDC no adjustments needed.

Man I hope the whole install goes this smoothly,
I cannot run it with just the edis as the harness is sticking out the nose of the car.

Nice!
I'm kinda worried about my EDIS... that's a thing that could give problems over here... little things...too many factors which could be the fault of a no-go...
other fuel system, other ignition system, raised compression, head work performed by myself, new bearings and seals... which could (almost) all be a problem.

Good luck though! Looks very nice and as long as it works it'll be fine

924 "50-jahre", 1981.
MSII/extra, LPG, ITB's, 5lug.
To be turbo'ed in a while.
Killed her at the Nurburgring, Porscheless at the moment
Lizard  

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well after correcting a problem in the settings,

mainly the fact I had trigger wheel settings entered, and with edis you dont want them,
the car started but would lump up and down then die,
after talking with min and changing a few settings the car stayed idling
and we brought it up to temp, and she idled very nice.
as was it was starting after about 1/2 of a revolution.

Had to shut down as my exhaust is too loud and didnt want to upset the neighbours.

oh well more tomorrow
Min  

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lizard wrote:
well after correcting a problem in the settings,

mainly the fact I had trigger wheel settings entered, and with edis you dont want them,
the car started but would lump up and down then die,
after talking with min and changing a few settings the car stayed idling
and we brought it up to temp, and she idled very nice.
as was it was starting after about 1/2 of a revolution.

Had to shut down as my exhaust is too loud and didnt want to upset the neighbours.

oh well more tomorrow

I'm pretty confident that after you get your wideband hooked up we'll get you on the road tommorrow. Assuming no major obsticales.

Min
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lizard  

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is the engine bay with the harness and edis installed.

and here is part of the fuse panel with the MS box.

Got it running really nice today, took it for a drive to the gas station and got gas.
Couple of problems with the USB - serial adapter, and software though.
And I am having an electrical shop add a transistor for the PWM valve, and rerun all the solder joints as a couple on the board I got werent all that great and may be causing an rpm, coolant, and advance fluctuation even on the STIM.
Min  

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh, tuning over MSN is fun!

Min
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: