Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Bump Steer
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Min  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 4:49 pm    Post subject: Bump Steer Reply with quote

In the Tech Section there is an area describing how to make a bump steer kit ... I'm wondering if anyone has done this? .. and if they have .. I would like to see pictures of what has to be done.

Min
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
turbobob9242  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 10:01 am    Post subject: RE Bump steer kit Reply with quote

I was owndering the same thing!!

In my case, I can't get the damn steering lined up at all.

I had everything apart for repair and cleaning.

I made up a reinforced cross member and my rack is about 1 inch lower on the cross member. Now I can't get the tires lined up.

One wheel is straight the other turned in about 2 inches!

If I used this bump steer idea I could lengthen effective length of the steering arms.
Min  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Making a bump-steer kit for our cars is really easy...make a 6061 (aluminum) sleeve 1.125 OD (outer diameter)...about 6 inches long...drill and tap one end for rack thread (14mm I think) and other end for a 5/8 heim joint (aka rod end, available at most motorsports supply houses for $10-20))....then you drill out the taper in the steering arm of the upright (where the ball joint previously went through) to accomodate a 5/8 bolt....you can then shim the rod end up or down (using washers on the 5/8" bolt between the rod end and the steering arm) to tune the toe change out of the suspension...the tuning is a time consuming nuisance, but yields HUGE improvements in turn-in and mid-corner balance.

that whole thing is sort of vague ... I'd do it instantly if i didn't have to drill out the rod end of the steering arm (meaning you can't revert back if it doesn't work properly) ... I have a few questions about it as well .. like .. do you have to do it to both sides? (logically I would think you would.) .... I would love some clarifications of this procedure.

Min
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
leadfoot  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wrote an explanation on this board under post camber box...
basically allows camber adjustment without affecting toe...
will send you an email with the picture can you put the picture up on the post for me.. i dont know if the picture i sent got through to jesse
leadfoot
leadfoot  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wrote an explanation on this board under post camber box...
basically allows camber adjustment without affecting toe...
will send you an email with the picture can you put the picture up on the post for me.. i dont know if the picture i sent got through to jesse
leadfoot
oops need you email though...
morghen  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok so i've got a nasty bump steer on my CGT project car. It is a bit lowered and i'm using 17" wheels...the steering wheel goes left right left left right like crazy when i go over bumps...i know that porsche corrected this with the 931...but how?
I've read that this problem occurs when tie rods are paralel to the steering rack and it gets worse when the car is lowered.
Smoothie  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A more recent and informative thread on the topic - http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=21774

'82 924T, US version, dark green metallic, 5 speed Audi 016G gearbox
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two things. . .you can revert back. If you hog out the hole in the steering knuckle it can be repaired by welding.

Second, I have a pair of steering knuckles with spacers that I might be willing to sell. You would then need a threaded Heim joint to replace your TREs.

!tom  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

morghen wrote:
the steering wheel goes left right left left right like crazy when i go over bumps

That's not bump steer.

That problem can be corrected by changing the offset of your wheels.

Bump steer is when the toe of the wheel changes during suspension travel.

Another remedy to your problem would be a steering damper.
Min  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rasta Monsta wrote:
Two things. . .you can revert back. If you hog out the hole in the steering knuckle it can be repaired by welding.

welding? .... on critical suspension components? .... also keeping in mind that Tie rod ends have a specific taper to the hole, how exactly do you plan on putting that back in if the knuckle gets hogged out?

Min
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to a racing supply house I spoke to here in Portland, material can be added back to the hole and the taper re-created via machining. He wanted $40 each to do this to the knuckles in the photos above, and spoke of it as if it were no big deal.

And if you look carefully at your suspension, I bet you can find a bead or two. . .

Min  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rasta Monsta wrote:
According to a racing supply house I spoke to here in Portland, material can be added back to the hole and the taper re-created via machining. He wanted $40 each to do this to the knuckles in the photos above, and spoke of it as if it were no big deal.

Wow, I'm not seeing how that could be 'no big deal' ..... for safety and longevity reasons, I think stressing the metal with various types of heat based work on something you rely on that heavily may be a bad plan.

Rasta Monsta wrote:
And if you look carefully at your suspension, I bet you can find a bead or two. . .

I ment to say critical steering components.

Min
Min  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if welding on steering components is ok with you, why bother dealing with bump steer in this fashion at all? ..... you can just heat up the steering knuckle arm, and bend it down/up (which is a techique described in 'how to make your car handle' by fred puhn, but i believe he also mentions having the parts heat treated again after this work to prevent catastrophic failure. But I'd have to go look it up again, its been awhile since i read that book)

Min
morghen  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm never going to mod the steering system...i'm not afraid to say it...i'm too chickenshit to do it....+ if the authorities find out i'm facing big time jail.

i am only interested if i can use 931 parts to get rid of the bump steer...i've noticed that the 931 deals way better with the bumps...but then again the 931 has factory 15" wheels not 17". Anyonke know more about the improvements that porsche made on the 931 in this matter ?
924guy  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IRRC i have a print article someplace with instructions on how to build a dampner type bumper steer device, that involves no modification of existing parts, its a bolt on.. ill try and find the article...but no guarantees...

it was similar in concept to this atv kit.. http://www.danacreechracing.com/categories/products/product-120.html

correction, had an article, cant find it in my notes...sorry..
99' VehiCross
Y2K Honda Insight
http://www.cardomain.com/id/924Guy
Performance by Pasha
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: