Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

How much weight can be lost?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blown 944  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject: How much weight can be lost? Reply with quote

I am considering removing some weight from "the mule"

I have another very nice car that I will keep for driving but I am seriously considering removing some weight from my test vehicle and tint the windows and keep it for some good ol street racing and track racing.

Has anyone removed some particularly heavy parts..Interior ac..etc that you have documented your reduction?

I realize I have a 44 but the reduction should be faily similiar.

What info I am looking for is: what is the lowest reasonable curb-race weight for these things?

thanks in advance
Sid
ideola  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some interesting posts on the topic:
http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=18254&highlight=weight+reduc%2A
http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=17584&highlight=weight+reduc%2A
http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=12455&highlight=weight+reduc%2A

I'm sure a more thorough use of the Search feature will reveal even more info...
ideola  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, almost forgot about Jon's site...he has some good documentation on weight savings right here:
http://www.bmcautos.com/porsche/weightsavings/weightsavings.html
Chrenan  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some heavy stuff you can eliminate: rear seat back, stock sound proofing mats under carpets, stock seats (swap with lighter aftermarket), US bumpers (swap with Euro ones). The list goes on, I guess it depends how compromised comfort-wise you are willing to let the car get?
-nick  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to go crazy for a track car (not street racer ), use a heat gun and scraper on all that chunky glued-on soundproofing all over the interior floor and hatch floor. I 928 buddy pulled out quite a bit of weight on his track car. Of course, it stunk like poop and took him about twenty hours of elbow grease...
15psi boost, MS-II, EDIS, 951 IC, custom intake, Ford 5.0L throttle body, Forge BOV, WB o2, G31 w/LSD, 964 wheels, 968 rear sway, Bilsteins, 200# Welt. springs. A laptop, and a partridge in a pear tree.
1991 964 C4 Cabriolet
blown 944  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the links and info guys

it looks like I could easily get to 2500 or lower w/o a lot of effort.

I guess I should clarify street racer as I am in mid 30's to be a type of class at the local drag strip.However once and a while my brother and some friends and I do go out to an abandoned landing strip though.

Sid
gohim  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to point out that the 944 clutch is known for failing under abusive launches.

I strongly suggest that if you have not done it already, that you look into a higher performance clutch disk with springs, if you have the original rubber centered clutch disc still on the car.
924RACR  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some new data on car weights, should be fairly close for you. We just completed most of the build on an ITS 924S ('87). This car was gutted, including all interior plus soundproofing - right to the bare metal. The wheel wells were also ground out down to the metal (there's a lot of soundproofing/mastic in there).

Then the car had a massive cage put in it - 6-point, 1.75x.120 wall - well beyond what was needed.

Then we put the driver in - and he's a big boy.

As I recall, when we put it on the scales, it came in at 2530# with maybe 3-4gal of gas. Spec weight for ITS for the 924S and 944 is 2515# IIRC. Now, granted, the car needs to gain another 50# worth of gear; two more bars in the cage, Accusump, firebottle, exhaust, but it is also conceivable that with some more diligent effort it could lose at least half of that again.

Of course, if you wanted to go throw in some fiberglass too, you could even get lighter, but that would require actual money expenditures.

I do know that with my skinny butt in there (160#), we'd have to ballast the car to make weight - or maybe we'd be right there with the added gear...

HTH
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
356speedster  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are aftermarket fiberglass/carbon panels for most of the body parts. Even complete doors and hatch glass in plastic exists.

So if you want to go extreme and got a thick wallet you can get a 924 way below 2000 pounds.

The 944 is 330 ponds heavier than the 924.
2007 BMW 318d M-Sport
2010 Volvo V50
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: