Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

cheap HP on ebay
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AppleBit  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2002 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1809178642
awilson40  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2002 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bummer man...you let the cat out of the bag...I was hoping to pick it up cheap
dwak  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2002 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They talk about these in the current 911 & Porsche World mag.
dwak
Richard  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2002 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aside from the cheap price, this is not such a big deal. I just put a brand new one on my 924 two days ago. It cost $85 and i got it at a Audi dealer in Seattle. Fits all 8 valve VW's and 924. Was excellent quality. E-bay discription is also not accurate. You don't change duration, but simply retard or advance the cam relative to piston position. Retard helps top end, advance helps low end. I'm still experimenting, but it seems like a couple degrees retard helps all around, with a peak around 4000rpm.
Joes924  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2002 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea jon i bid on it about 3 hrs ago and had high bid of 35.00 wonder what its up to now..
that guy

[ This Message was edited by: Joes924 on 2002-03-21 17:12 ]
awilson40  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2002 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard...
Does it make much difference??
If so, in what way?
Thanks
Richard  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2002 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it most certainly makes a difference. The power feels "crisper" at higher rpms. Low end not so bad either. Before I bought this I retarded the cam by skipping back one belt tooth. Top end was great but low end was flat as Kansas. One belt tooth is worth about 8 cam degrees. This is fun stuff because you can so easily change the power curve. Just loosen the allen screws and turn the crank pulley untill whatever marks you want line up, readjust the ignition timing and go! What is even more cool is the Franco automatic cam gear as seen on Apple Bits web site. This baby starts out advanced and as rpms climb, switchs over to retarded. It is on my wish list...cost $300. I must be honest though, it does not produce "OH MY GOD" power. But in a NA, everything helps.
Rick MacLaren  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bah! :grin:

[ This Message was edited by: Rick MacLaren on 2002-03-04 05:29 ]
Richard  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick, Is that bah like in bah humbug! in which case you do not believe that changing the timing of the cam can effect performance?
Joes924  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I won the auction.
AppleBit  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick - your wrong -- it does deliver on it's promises

- Jon
Joes924  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2002 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard or any one where does low end turn into top ens considering max rpm is 6000
It seems Im gonna start at advanced since
low end performance is what I want but not so as to have no high end performance ..

Id there any danger from running so far advanced or retarded.
Joes924  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2002 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im kind of pissed off I won the auction cause I had better use for the 38.51

Any one want to buy it from me.

[ This Message was edited by: Joes924 on 2002-03-21 17:17 ]
dwak  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2002 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ain't it just like the stock market, so easy to buy (high) and so damn hard to sell.
dwak
Richard  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2002 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, e-bay can really suck 'cause you get stuck with things just 'cause you didn't want anyone else to have it worse than you not needing it in the first place. But now that you have it, at least have some fun with it before you sell it! It's also good education to how different parts of an engine affect power and their relationships to one another.
Now looking at a power curve in a '78 owner's manual for a standard engine I immediately see that H.P. drops off at about 5750 rpm, so let's call that the upper limit of top range. We already know that 0 rpm is the beggining of low range. Now all we need is two more values for defining the ranges, and these are the killers because everyone who reads this post will have a different take on it...but since I opened my trap I'll take a stab at it. Looking at this same graph I see that max torque occurs at 3000 rpm and is pretty flat untill around 4500 where it starts to fall off. This is where the car is the most "driveable" This is the range, when you think about it, that most street/hwy driving happens. I would call this mid-range. 4500 to 5750 (maybe 4000) would then be top range. Another way to look at it is low range is what gets you going, mid range is where you spend most of the time driving, and high range is for alluding the police.
No, as far as I can tell you can't do any damge with advancing or retarding the cam gear within its range of adjustment. Also, a good way to get the cam bolt off is with an air impact wrench. Or maybe loosen it before you take the timing belt off, otherwise the cam just turns. I wish I had better things to do than talk about cars. I need a life!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: