Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Photos of upgrades

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
freelance  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Photos of upgrades Reply with quote

Hi

If anyone's feeling helpful... I'm writing a feature on 'Tuning & Improving the Porsche 924' for a UK classic car magazine and could do with a few photos to help illustrate it, especially the nuts and bolts stuff.

Has anyone got pics of worthwhile mods they've done that they might be willing to e-mail to me? My address is too_plus_two@yahoo.co.uk

Hope to hear from you

Russ
Peter_in_AU  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard Russ.

What mag? If you haven't already, check out the "how To" section and approach the authors if any of the work there is suitable.

Learn to love your multimeter and may the search be with you
924RACR  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, and good luck with your article!

I gather you don't have a specific shopping list of mods you're after; some relevant pics on my site under Construction and Crash/Repair tabs:
http://www.vaughanscott.com/

In particular, buried under the Repair Progress tab, there's some header and engine internal pics:
http://www.vaughanscott.com/after_crash/repair%20progress.htm

Such as:

Race motor block with new JE pistons:

Bottom end:

There's also suspension pics, race photos, etc...

'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Chrenan  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eurorace (now European Motorworks) "Big Valve" Head - 44mm Intake / 37mm Exhaust

Rear Sway Bar Adapted to a Non-Sway Bar Equiped 924:

Clock replaced with Oil Temperature Gauge

Sender for Oil Temperature Guage (Top) & Trick Oil Drain Valve

Martijnus  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the offtopic, but where can I get the oil temperature gauge as seen above? I just hate my clock and this is wonderful! Are they on turbo's?

924 "50-jahre", 1981.
MSII/extra, LPG, ITB's, 5lug.
To be turbo'ed in a while.
Killed her at the Nurburgring, Porscheless at the moment
Chrenan  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got both the oil temperature gauge and sender from www.summitracing.com. I think the gauge was $25 and the sender was a little less. Very easy to install. I don't think an oil temperature gauge came stock on any 924/944. I like it because it lets me know when the engine is truly warmed up and I can begin driving harder. You'd be surprised how long it takes the oil to warm up relative to the coolant.
bass gt  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrenan,

Where did you get the oil drain from?? Looks a trick bit of kit....

Steve
Martijnus  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrenan wrote:
I got both the oil temperature gauge and sender from www.summitracing.com. I think the gauge was $25 and the sender was a little less. Very easy to install. I don't think an oil temperature gauge came stock on any 924/944. I like it because it lets me know when the engine is truly warmed up and I can begin driving harder. You'd be surprised how long it takes the oil to warm up relative to the coolant.

I know! On my bike I won't WOT before my oil is 80 degrees C. In my 924 above the glovebox, 3 extra gauges are installed, (actually, the holes look stock! i'll pic it soon). One of them was (was!) a oil temp gauge, and that's the gauge I find most important in my car.
Since I'm replacing those three gauges (gauges itself aren't stock, were amps, outside temp, oiltemp), I'd like to replace it with a vdo...

924 "50-jahre", 1981.
MSII/extra, LPG, ITB's, 5lug.
To be turbo'ed in a while.
Killed her at the Nurburgring, Porscheless at the moment
Chrenan  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bass,

Oil drain came from www.performanceproducts.com. I was a little dissappointed to find on the box that it was made in China, but honestly it is very nicely made, very solid, opens and shuts perfectly and hasn't leaked a drop of oil. It is so much better just turning a lever to drop the oil than going through the stress of tightening the drain plug always fearing you are going to rip off a chunk of the oil pan.
leadfoot  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got mine from futomo directly off their website, I also got the model with the nipple so that I can attach a hose for no mess drainaige of the sump.
It shipped out in about a week.
Leadfoot
macBdog  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fumoto valve is one of the best mods I've done to my car in terms of cost/performance.
I'm still convinced the word 'Porsche' makes people crazy in all kinds of ways
924guy  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its difficult to come up with a total list for this type of thing because of the age of our cars. A common upgrade is changing out shocks and struts for instance, but on a 20+ year old car, is that an upgrade or general maintenance? pretty much any new units you put in will be an improvement over original equipment because of the manufactureing and material differences between then and what is now used, not to mention the old part is, well, old... basic upgrades for our cars havent changed all that much, just the quality of the materials used i think. we still tend to add a 944 hatch if dont already have one, update to modern shocks and struts, etc. many are changing over to LED type lighting for sides back and interior, upgrading to modern headlamps, improving the sound system and that sort of thing.
Real upgrades, not just convienance or maintenance stuff, are things like swapping over to modern electronic fuel injection (and dealing with getting it tuned in properly) , lightening the body by installing aftermarket fenders, hood, and other such lightweight parts and ofcourse doing amazing things with the engine internals like changing out from factory pistons and modifying heads. these things abound here, as well as different takes on turbo replacement, upgrades, and even adding them to the n/a cars..
anyhow, an article on this stuff is a great idea, but should be things that people can do in the garage at home i would think. the experimental type stuff is great to glimpse, but how many of us have access to a cnc? okay, here theres probably quite a few..
99' VehiCross
Y2K Honda Insight
http://www.cardomain.com/id/924Guy
Performance by Pasha
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: