Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Show Us your AccuSump Installation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gla924sem  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:59 pm    Post subject: Show Us your AccuSump Installation Reply with quote

As part of my engine rebuild project......am installing a 3 qt AccuSump.
Man.......that thing is huge!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone that's installed one.....please post some pics...........
924RACR  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I have any pics, but... mine is slanted across the passenger side floor. I have a manual valve model, so must be able to reach the valve while seated; this puts the valve next to the tunnel, able to be reached unless I'm strapped down completely, and the other end with gauge is forward up by the base of the a-pillar.

Previously we had it mounted longitudinally where the passenger's seat was, but of course that was a problem for DE's - hence we relocated it. In the current location, the seat just clears it.
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
ideola  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No pix of mine either, but I'm installing it in the rear, down in the spare tire well.
gla924sem  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:58 am    Post subject: AccuSump Reply with quote

That's what I was figuring for installation.
Mine came with a quick disconnect to the sump so I can remove it for DE if I desire.
Fifty50Plus  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've mounted about 6 Accusumps and always try to get them as close to the engine as possible. Mostly like what Vaughan describes. There is a significant pressure drop with a longer feed line to the rear of the car and the reaction time is increased both in filling and discharging. The oil in the fully charged Accusump is ambiant temperature and is slow moving when cold even in -12 line. When the oil pump cavitates, the one way valve closes and the Accusump air bag tries to push the cold oil towards the bearings.
The way to tell if an Accusump is worth it is to feel it after hard driving. If the body of the Accusump is warm/hot, it has been swapping oil with the engine and pump.
I've always used manually operated valves that were reachable by the driver and it's something the crew chief always reminds the driver both in and out of the pits; Accusump off/Accusump on. One of my teammates had an electrically operated one on the ex-Grand Am car and it failed. We went back to the manual version.
Chuck
1981 924 Turbo a real PoS, new engine
1982 924 Turbo nice body, blown engine
1972 911 E race car - going to Vintage
Various 944s to become IT-S race car
924RACR  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fifty50Plus wrote:
The way to tell if an Accusump is worth it is to feel it after hard driving. If the body of the Accusump is warm/hot, it has been swapping oil with the engine and pump.

Interesting! Mine is usually very warm after a session; not as hot as the engine, but definitely uncomfortably warm!! Will have to measure that sometime with the ol' pyrometer!

But that explains the temp a lot more than just ambient heat from the floor/exhaust.

Re: air "bag" - mine has an o-ringed piston, not a "bag" - really a disc - to seal between the air and the oil halves of the chamber...
'82 931 Plat. Silver
ideola  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Chuck
Have you always installed them in the cabin of the vehicle vs. somewhere in the engine bay? I think I can make room to put mine up front somewhere, but I've heard concerns over the cylinder getting damaged and impeding piston travel...
Fifty50Plus  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vaughan is correct, it's a piston type arrangement that you pre-charge with about 10 lbs of air pressure when you install it empty.

Dan - I've always put mine next to the shifter so that I can reach the on/off valve and see the pressure guage. If I were to install one in the engine compartment I would need to cobble up a manual remote lever arm thingie. Now that I think about it, location up front might be too tight. I use about a yard of -12 from the accusump back to the one way valve and bearing side of the engine.

Before I started installing these on our BMW 2002s back in the early '90s we lost 3-4 motors with rod bearing failure. After plumbing in the Accusumps we never had another failure. But the Accusumps always got warm/hot. The one I have in the enduro Benz right now rarely gets warm.
From the factory, the Benz has an amazing oil pan baffling system.

Vaughan - have you always had the crank scraper with the Accusump?

Chuck
ideola  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My challenge is that I can't put it in the cockpit because I'm setting the car up for two seats. I could put it in the back seat area (I've already done the rear seat delete, but it seems like it would be safer to have it in the rear of the vehicle out of the seating area.
924RACR  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I've always had both accusump and crank scraper, or nothing (back when I blew a bunch of motors).

As for Dan, your situation - you can have the valve separate of the sump body. So you could install the sump way in the back, out of the way, and have the oil hose pass up through the cockpit to where you can get to it.

Wouldn't affect what Chuck's pointing out about response time, but would address packaging.
'82 931 Plat. Silver
ideola  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, another alternative would be to put it on the "hump" at the rear of the torque tube tunnel in the cockpit.

Hmm. I'll have to think about this some more. I'm getting the chassis back from my body man this Saturday, so I'll have opportunity to look at alternatives.
Fifty50Plus  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,
If you move the battery to the rear, can you weasel it up in the old battery area? And for your case, an electrically controlled on/off valve might be the ticket for a clean cockpit passenger seat area.
Chuck
gla924sem  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:46 pm    Post subject: AccuSump Reply with quote

With my engine out......I've looked at the engine bay.......there's no way I can see installing that thing in there.

I thought about on the right side fender well since the WS washer tank is gone.......even there..... no room for that 3 qt monster.

Will be installing it in the passenger side footwell......somewhere??????
Not excited about having 3 qts of oil in the passenger compartment but there's really no where else for it to go.

In the spare tire well.......that's a lot of braided hose to run

From my research......the valve need to be driver accessable.
ideola  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The setup I purchased had been installed on a 951 in the spare tire well, and came with the electric valve and enough braided hose to make the run from front to back so I have what I need (short a bulkhead connector) to install it in the rear.

But the time lag issue that Chuck raised has me rethinking the location. I'm not crazy about having 3 qts of oil in the cockpit either, and I need the passenger side to be functional. I could eliminate maybe 3-4 feet of hose by putting it somewhere in the rear seat area (rear seat is deleted already). I'll have a look at the batter tray area. Might be a way to make that work. The other possibility is somewhere in the nose section, but I'm concerned about damage to the cylinder up there.
924RACR  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While having the sump in the passenger compartment can certainly be a PITA for legroom etc... it's pretty safe. I'll remind everyone that I got t-boned REAL HARD by a Swedish Tank, aka Volvo 140... right where the sump was mounted... and it was fine, stayed in the car.
'82 931 Plat. Silver
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: