Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Just upgraded the swaybars...WOW
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
924 turbo  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2002 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased a 23mm swaybar for my '80 924 from Dan Flanagan (Diesel here on the board) and it arrived today. Needless to say, it's already on. I also took the opportunity to install a 14mm rear swaybar that I had laying around with a Weltmeister rear swaybar add-on kit (I know, I know, but I got a really good deal on it back when it was much much cheaper, and on sale, at Automotion).

The performance improvement is amazing. The car had a 21mm swaybar in front before, and, like I said, no rear swaybar. I have Koni Sport (yellow) shocks in the back, KYB struts in the front, and stock springs and t-bars. The wheels are 16x7 928 phonedials, spaced out an extra 7mm front and rear. Tires are Yokohama S306 205/55V. The car handled very well before, it was very neutral with just a touch of lift-throttle oversteer (that'll keep you awake).

The car now literally feels completely different. The car stays *much* flatter on high-speed curves. I haven't had time to do many low-speed curves, but I've got my eye on Highway 74 (the one decent twisty road within 20 miles of Costa Mesa, CA...I need to move back to Thousand Oaks!) for a drive sometime in the next few days.

I'll post another update with my impressions of low-speed handling, etc.

Again, a big thanks to Dan for helping to make my car fun all over again.
Lousailor  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2002 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you get the chance to test out the car on some decent low speed curves? I'm getting ready to upgrade my suspension, but will probably keep the stock springs and T-bar. Do you think the rear sway bar made a significant improvement? Thanks
924 turbo  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With stock springs front and rear, the car handles much better than I would have expected. As I said before, the 23mm/14mm combo seems to work wonderfully. Last night I went out to that twisty road. The car is noticeably more stable in tight turns, and understeers slightly at the limit (before all four tires start sliding). On switchbacks, the side-to-side weight transfer is quicker and more stable. I'm very impressed by how differently (and better) the car handles with the swaybars upgraded. For anyone who doesn't have a rear swaybar and a 20-21mm front bar, I highly recommend the 23mm/14mm combo.
Browar  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2003 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So , as far as my knowledge is concerned, You have 22mm torsion bar, am I correct? Well I`m going to upgrade my 924 with almost the same setup. But ,PLEASE tell me what is better for best handling using my car only on streets. And by saying best I mean best compromise in handling and ride quality.I want to archive the most neutral characteristic.
So what I would like is:
Rear: 23.5mm torsion bar
16mm sway bar (from Carrera GT)
Front:23mm sway bar
"green" coil (standard equipment used in 924 in `81 and during `80 in sport suspension instead of "red" used in`76-79. I think "blue" coil was installed in 924 Turbo. This colored names was taken from PET-5 Porsche parts catalog.
Or more drastic setup:
Rear:24.5mm torsion bar (used in 944 -1/85 so-called "sport-type running gear)
16 mm sway bar (of course here it is able to install everything 14-16-20mm)
Front:23mm sway bar (tu raczej bym nie zmieniał na mniej...)
"red" coil
So please tell me what would be the best choice
Best regards

P.S. Sorry for my english ,I`m still learning...
Vince Ponz  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

77.5 924 track car+ 23mm front and 22mm Weltmeister rear swaybar set at the half way mark, stock torsion bars, bilstein HD shocks, 250 lbs springs, lowered. Result best for my driving.
79 931 Euro almost the same as above 23mm front and 18mm rear, stock torsion bars, 250 lbs springs, lowered. Does not handle half as good as the 77.5 car. Weight?, 3mm difference in rear bar?

I may have a 23mm bar avail within the next month if anyone is interested. Going to 25.5 front on the track car.
Joes924Racer  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will a 944 front sway bar fit.??? probly not eh.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Browar  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By browsing through PET-5 Porsche Parts Catalog I would say : 944 23 mm front sway bar would fit 82-85 N/A 924. I consider Euro spec. Part numbers are the same exept of course part number of sway bar and it`s bushings thanks to it different diameter.
Vince Ponz  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can make a 25.5 mm bar work. All you have to do is look at a 944 and use the same setup. The only problem is that you may have to drill holes where the bar mates to the A arm, ala 944.

Jim Pasha said it could be done with some minor welding to he frame.
I will let you know how it works within a month.
marky522  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey vince how much are you going to want for the sway bar???

Thanks,
Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Browar  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Vince, I was looking at 944 old-style (in Europe 82-1/85 - it used parts from 924) and I was wondering about that torsion bar.I drove 924 with only 22mm t.bar without sway bar and ane spieceman with 23,5mm together with 14mm sway bar. I am a bit afraid of using such big bar as You mentioned . Propably for me the hardest setup is 24,5mm t.bar with 16 or 20mm sway bar together with uprated front. My example is mentioned above sport type european 944 and 924 S with M 030 option wich in Europe was ,I think called, Le Mans. So the question is will this bar (24,5mm) fit my N/A 924 without any welding? And what do I have to swap from donor car? Well such a setup in the back I think it is rather stiff. I want to use only what factory produced. Because here in Poland it is very difficult to find somebody who would know 924 and have somthing to upgrade it. So scrap yards and trip to Germany is only choice.
Vince Ponz  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 23mm front swaybar will fit without a problem. If you car came with a rear swaybar then you swap out the 14mm to a 944 18mm.
The above are stock Porsche parts off a 924 and 944.

As for a larger Porsche sway bar you may have to weld the body mounts and bolt them in. You will also have to drill holes in the A arms to accommodate the ends of the front swaybars.

If I am not mistaken the 924 swaybar is body mounted and has drop links to the A arms. The 944 has metal straps hanging from the body and mounts to the A arms. I hope I am stating this clearly.

Look under a 944 for a clearer picture. If you don't like them you can always take them off. I don't think you will.
kevrl  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've managed to get the 27mm front sway bar on to my late 1982 931, it fits no problem, the only parts that you need are 2 of the larger mounting clamps (944.343.731.02P), 2 of the front 27mm bushings (can't remember the part number). I've also fitted the 944 Turbo 'Cup' rear sway bar which is 19mm(944 333 701 01 - from my memory ??, so check before purchasing), and adjustable to 3 settings. My suspension is otherwise standard, but accurately aligned, and it handles very well on the Road, slight understeer the the rear bar in the most rearwards setting, and neutral handling with the drop link mounted at the forward most mounting hole.

Cornering is very flat considering I have made to other modifications (except new Shocks all round). Be warned though, fitting the front 27mm bar with only the standard 14mm rear bar gave a dangerous amount of understeer.

Have fun,

Kevin
Vince Ponz  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you send me a photo or post a photo to the list. Thanks. Front only is okay.
924 turbo  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vince, his car was made to take the 944-type swaybar, as it shares the 944's swaybar mounting. As he said, it's a late '82. The changeover came during the '82 model year.

924-type swaybar:

944-type swaybar:

Vince Ponz  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will weld the metal straps from the sway bar to the front rails. The problem for most of us is the A arm. You have to drill holes for the mounts to the arm.

By the way I have a set of A arms from an 84 924 Euro which would make it a bolt on.

With the combo of the changing over to 5 bolts wheels the above should be easy. I already bought the 17mm ball joints. Cheap $14 ea. at Vertex.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: