Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

924/944 radiator question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lynn Dykgraaf  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: 924/944 radiator question Reply with quote

A couple of questions
1. Is the 924 radiator the same as the 944 radiator?
2. Which radiator does the 924S have if they are different?
3. Is there a radiator upgrade out there for sale that really makes a difference and does not require any modifications?

Thanks guys for the answers/help in advance.

Lynn
gohim  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, a 924 (76-82) radiator is not the same any 944 (82-85/1 or 85/2-8, or any 924S (86-8

924 (76-82) and 944 (82-85/1 or 85/2-888) with automatic transmissions use different radiators from manual transmission 924, 944, and 924S.

The early 944 (82-85/1) uses a different radiator from the late 944 (85/2)and 924S (86-8.

The late 944 (85/2-8 uses the same radiator as the 924S (86-8.

I do not know if you can modify a 924 to accept any 944 or 924S radiator.

Performance Products sells a replacement heavy duty radiator under the Autotechnik brand that is a bolt-in for the stock 924 radiator. I installed one in my 81 924 back in 1998, and it made a significant difference in my cars running temperature.

But I suggest installing a lower temperature thermostat, and thermofan cooling switch to lower your car's operating temperature first, unless your radiator is already shot and in need of replacement.
Lynn Dykgraaf  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 87 that is always around the third mark or higher. The only way to keep it around the third mark is to run the air conditioning all the time. Even then any hill will push the temp close to the red. I just had a front of engine service and had everything replaced. Water pump, thermostat, seals, belts, tensioners, anything that could be replaced was. The performance products idea is what I was hoping for. I'll likely go that route along with a lower thermostat and switch. Next step will be to find out what thermostat my mechanic installed.

Thanks for the info. Just what I was hoping for.

Lynn
Lynn Dykgraaf  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:43 am    Post subject: Performance Products Radiator Reply with quote

I was directed to Performance Products to find a HD radiator upgrade for my 1987 924S. No Luck..... Anyone got a link that will get me to the right place?

Lynn
gohim  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.performanceproducts.com
Paul  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks as if it is NLA, at least online.
Polar Silver 02 996TT. "Turbo"
Owned and repaired 924s since 1977
Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
924RACR  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lynn, your car should run that hot with even a hotter stock t-stat.
Have you considered/tried flushing the coolant system? Will be cheaper than replacing the radiator, not to mention easier, might be worth trying first.

HTH...
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
gohim  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the car is an 87, if the miles are between 75K and 100K, it is possible that the car is suffering from the failed head gasket that I noticed this particular model year engine has a tendency to suffer from.

Way back in the early to mid 1990s, I noticed the 87 model year 924S cars were blowning head gaskets in this mileage range. Virtually every 87 924S in this mileage range I have inspected has suffered a blown head.

I never figured out for sure if this was a birth defect, or the result of the way that the owners drove or maintained their cars, but it is something to consider when shopping for one of these cars. It appears that when the car has suffered this problem, if the repair work is done properly, the problem does not reoccur. So, I am leaning towards this being an assembly, production process, or material/s problem, rather than an owner caused problem. Since five years of 944 production did not show this problem, I don't think it was a hereditary problem.

It would be a shame if the Performance Products Autotechnik heavy duty radiator was not longer available. I had one that I bought with a lot of parts, before I got my 924S, and this is one product that I was planning on installing in my car when I get it running. The 924 version works great. It is heavier than the original aluminum and plastic radiator, BUT it is also of all brass, three pass construction so it will cool more efficiently, and can be serviced if necessary. And no more rubber tank sealing gaskets to rot and leak (unlike the factory radiator).
Lynn Dykgraaf  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Car has 130,000 miles and "runs" great. No funny stuff in the cooolant, no smoke, no leaks, and just received a clean bill if health from the mechanic at it's last service. That only leaves a few areas to look to. One is that the thermosat is the 87 and not the 80 degree that I hope was installed. I'll find out the answer to that on Monday. Another possibility is that my temp gage or sending unit is not accurate. Finally, it is possible that my radiator is partially blocked. I'll be working through each of these in the coming weeks but the idea of a brand new HD radiator was very appealing. I have no great worries while it is cold out but come summer I'll be quite a bit more nervous about overheating so I would like this sorted out before spring.

Lynn
dgz924s  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be as simple as having air in the system. Mine ran a bit hot and a good bleed helped. Cheap too. Consider the type of driving done, in town starting/stopping will run it hot. As well as the heat/humidity in your locale. It is not redlining so this suggests the WP/rad appear ok, although not always true, pump could be on it's way out causing less/slow circulation.

Was the heater core set to open when coolant was added and is it getting cabin heat? IIRC the thermostat is open if you get cabin heat so it is ok.

My bet is on having air in the system, these engines are not the easiest to bleed completely.

GL! and grats on your purchase!

Dal
Lynn Dykgraaf  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, Here is the latest update.

1. I found a loose ground on the battery. Now I have a steady temp guage that mostly reads from the middle mark to the third mark or a little higher. The air temp around my parts has been in the 30's to 40's and the fans kick in a soon as the guage hits the third mark. I feel better about that but will still be having a new radiator installed as a long term precaution as I feel that there are still some corrosion/blockage issues. Once the fans kick in I do not see an observable drop in the temp needle so there must be something still not quite right with the radiator. I also feel that the new radiator will have better cooling characteristics than one designed and built twenty years ago. Any thoughts on that idea?

2. Also found a leaking clutch master cylinder that will be getting replaced at the same time as the radiator. After these final issues the car should have a completely clean bill of health and will become a daily driver.

Thanks for the advice and the invaluable information on this site. The ground info and accuracy of the guages was found on this site.

Lynn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924S Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: