Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

bushings - Weltmeister restoration or OEM?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
356speedster  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:21 am    Post subject: bushings - Weltmeister restoration or OEM? Reply with quote

I'm going to replace all suspension bushings.

Is there any advanteges/disadvantages in using the Weltmeiser restoration bushing over OEM parts?

example: Bushing - Control Arm, front-of-front, Weltmeister - restoration

The car is a daily driver road car, that maybe will be run on a track 1-2 times a year at PC meetings.
2007 BMW 318d M-Sport
2010 Volvo V50
Peter  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stock is rubber and works fine for say 20-30 years.
After market is polyurethane and must have grease groves and fittings installed otherwise you should hear squeaking when the bushings bind. Rubber twists rather then binding.
356speedster  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice, I'll go for rubber
2007 BMW 318d M-Sport
2010 Volvo V50
Joes924Racer  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheres a guy gonna get them from automotion or ?
Give me a source.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
356speedster  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been searching a while for online shops witch ship international and got a good range of 924 parts.

The well known dealers:
Paragon Products
Automotion
Pelican Parts

But I've also found some good resources for cheap replacement parts:
Autohous Arizona
CarJunky

Btw: I've seen some dealers sell the the controll-arm bushings with rubber only, while others are with inserted metal sleeves. Is there any good reasons for choosing the ones with inserted sleeves? or is it easy to re-use the old sleeves and save 60 bucks on the rubber only parts?
2007 BMW 318d M-Sport
2010 Volvo V50
Chrenan  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got all my suspension stff from Paragon, couldn't be happier with the service there.
Joes924Racer  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Service is service you either get it and your happy
or you dont ... its the parts were after.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Chrenan  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joes924Racer wrote:
Service is service you either get it and your happy
or you dont ... its the parts were after.

I disagree. I placed my order with Paragon online. I ordered all the bushings for the front, new control arms, tie rods, ball joints and 4 shocks. When they saw it was my first order with them, and I was in Canada, they phoned me about 10 minutes after I placed the online order to ask what shipping method I preferred, and let me know which shippers work fastest to my side of the country. They said given that it was my first order, they wanted to be sure they made a good impression. I have never had service like this from another online supplier. I have always got my parts from online places, but Paragon is the only place that has "gone the extra mile" as they say.
Vince Ponz  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Bugpack if they are still around.
88 924S SE
87 911 Targa stock
NEMESIS  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard the Weltmeisters are too hard and not as good as urethane.

Bugpack, Energy Suspension, and Prothane all make urethane replacements but you have to order the 84 VW Rabbit parts to get the right ones, but they are identical to the 924 parts.
Vince Ponz  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And cheaper.

I have had them on forever and never had a problem.
88 924S SE
87 911 Targa stock
Min  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrenan wrote:
I disagree. I placed my order with Paragon online. I ordered all the bushings for the front, new control arms, tie rods, ball joints and 4 shocks. When they saw it was my first order with them, and I was in Canada, they phoned me about 10 minutes after I placed the online order to ask what shipping method I preferred, and let me know which shippers work fastest to my side of the country. They said given that it was my first order, they wanted to be sure they made a good impression. I have never had service like this from another online supplier. I have always got my parts from online places, but Paragon is the only place that has "gone the extra mile" as they say.

I'm going to have to post about my experiances with paragon, since they were ... exactly the opposite of this. I placed an order for some various things with them every time I've called them I've gotten the run around, they claim they'll call me back and they never do. The end result was I cancelled that order -4 months- after it had been placed ...... becuase they never filled it. I will not deal with paragon again, Not if I want my parts before I die at least. This was not just one instance either, becuase we -tried- to order stuff from them a number of times. Similiar story each time. I tried to order from them 3 times, becuase they offer very good prices for the parts they have. Well, good prices arn't relevant if you never recieve the product.

Min
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
NEMESIS  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Min wrote:
Chrenan wrote:

I'm going to have to post about my experiances with paragon, since they were ... exactly the opposite of this. I placed an order for some various things with them every time I've called them I've gotten the run around, they claim they'll call me back and they never do. The end result was I cancelled that order -4 months- after it had been placed ...... becuase they never filled it. I will not deal with paragon again, Not if I want my parts before I die at least. This was not just one instance either, becuase we -tried- to order stuff from them a number of times. Similiar story each time. I tried to order from them 3 times, becuase they offer very good prices for the parts they have. Well, good prices arn't relevant if you never recieve the product.

Min

I'm just guessing here but I am going to say that the size of Chrenan's 1st order had something to do with the great customer service. That is not to say that he would have gotten the shaft if it were smaller in nature, a company should never give less attention to a smaller order, quite the opposite, but I am saying that I think that had something to do with his outstanding experience with them.

I've never used Paragon, mainly because I won't pay full price for anything, but I would not hesitate to do so. I will probably go through them when I settle on a coilover package in the spring.

Min you are the first person I have heard a negative word from about that company. A lot of guys that race their 944's and such swear by them, 924RACR being one of them, and I have heard nothing but good reveiws...until now.
Min  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEMESIS wrote:
Min you are the first person I have heard a negative word from about that company. A lot of guys that race their 944's and such swear by them, 924RACR being one of them, and I have heard nothing but good reveiws...until now.

Hense why I tried to deal with them multiple times. After multiple failures for them to deal with me, I gave up and ordered most of what I needed elsewhere. I'm still missing some of the parts that I tried to order from them. I wouldn't call the order I was doing small either, it was around 500 dollars worth of stuff. EBSRacing on the other hand has been -extraordinary- with their service. Which is why I'll be paying ebsracing more money for the same items I tried to buy from paragon, becuase I know ebsracing will deal with me properly. I don't have time to wait for paragon to maybe eventually get me the parts they say they have on their website. I havn't had a single good experiance with paragon. I've tried to deal with them even more times since then, And each time come up badly, I ended up ordering my strut monoballs from rsbarn, and will be ordering the raceware headstud's that I need from ebsracing (even though they cost quite a bit more becuase ebs doesn't deal with raceware much, at least I know they can get me my parts good prices don't matter if they never ship). The one order I got from paragon, my wife bought (a pair of oakley shoes) and it took 1.5 months for them to send me notification that they -actually- shipped them. Yep, great service? .. Havn't seen it yet. I don't like having to try and force a company to deal with me becuase they are the only ones with the stuff I want/need.

Min
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Chrenan  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEMESIS wrote:
I'm just guessing here but I am going to say that the size of Chrenan's 1st order had something to do with the great customer service.

I doubt it was considered a large order for Paragon. A well known aftermarket Porsche shop will have folks dropping thousands in a few minutes, a few hundred is not big.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: