Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

MSD blaster 2 coil MSD6 with soft touch rev control
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joes924  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2001 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put 1 on today smoothed out any rough idle and delivers smooth strong power. pleased with the results.Picked up the msd6 with the soft touch rev control today from e-bay for 112.00 Ill show pics of installation

[ This Message was edited by: Joes924 on 2001-08-29 11:24 ]
marky522  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2001 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how much did it cost and was it worth the money?

Mark
Joes924  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2001 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes its really worth it the coil is only 35.00 US I bought the rest of the stuff, msd6 and soft touch rev control on E-bay

go there.

[ This Message was edited by: Joes924 on 2001-09-25 14:47 ]
Patrick  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2001 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Change to larger (better) ignition wires at the same time for best result.

I've been running Accel 8 mm wires and a "2" coil for a couple of years in my cars and it works really well.

L8ta
Patrick
larso  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2001 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigger wires are better, yep but i think 8.5 or 8.0 (can't remember)is the limit, anything beyond that will not conduct as effecient they say cuz there is too much material to pass electricity through.

924RACR  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2001 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have a Blaster 2 coil and MSD KV85 8.5mm wires on my racecar, love em. However, the improvement due to coil change is very likely in part due to a bad stock coil...

'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Manouchehr  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2001 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

since we're on the subject...
How do you check the coil?
And did anyone of you fabricate their own ignition wires? If so....how?

Thanks!

Manouchehr 84 924
larso  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2001 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

check it for resistance and voltage as described in Haynes, except the haynes specs are off for resistance in one part of the book.
Joes924  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2001 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No the old coil is fine but the blaster was good but it wound up fast without burnen (combustion) so now that the msd 6 is worken its like alot healthier all the way through and I have to say I dont have to put my foot in it to get goin so .. Im happy once again.
Joes924  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2001 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No what it was , wasnt the old coil but my timing belt got stuck on the crank. just quite runnen it took me awhile to figure out the cam wasnt turnen when i tried to start it
the teeth on the cam belt were coming off all around the belt in spots of 3 or 4 1 and 2 and finally 6 and 7 teeth at a time it gave outstalling not turnen the crank so i think it ran a rough because of the changes in timing
whenever it hit a spot with out teeth its just floaten across it happend one day right when i got to work but before that it just stalled on me 1 or 2 and i lifted up the hood checked the battery and the transisterized ignition and started ut up .
This just means dont buy cheap belts OK

<

[ This Message was edited by: Joes924 on 2001-09-25 14:45 ]
TroyDest  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2001 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made my own wires by using MSD long, straight plug boots and Taylor SpiroPro 8mm wires. They fit great, look great, and have very little resistance. The motor seemed to run slightly better with them.

Hey Vaughan. Are you running an MSD coil on your 931? Does it affect the Digital Ignition System at all?

-Troy ('82 931)
924RACR  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2001 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the 931 ignition is still all stock (original) stuff - haven't gotten to messing with that. However, I'd say that, on a Series II turbo, there's basically no need for an MSD system... IMO...

I did just recently put a Permatune CD ignition on the racecar... it's nicer than the MSD's in that it's a plug-n-play replacement - plugs into the stock wiring harness, no need for much modification at all. Downside, it cost much more. Porsche used the Permatune ignition on some early-80's 911's, BTW.

One downside sometimes of installing a good aftermarket CD ignition is that they can bring out and make more apparent problems in what remains of the stock system. I found this to be the case with my racecar after intalling the Permatune; screaming down the back straight at Mid-Ohio, the engine has an occasional misfire at about 5000rpm. It continues to pull strong through, revving up to about 100mph going into the braking zone. It just does suck to lose that bit of pull... I believe it's due to a bad signal wire from the distributor to the ignition unit

'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
larso  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2001 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe there's some radio station near the track that's interupting your signal LOL.

So are these MSD ignitions any good? coils? do they do anything at all?

MSD doesn't have anything like Jacobs where it's variable do they.

I heard that the MSD and Jacobs ignitions eat your spark plugs up more since they give off more powerful spark...cause any problems on track like that?
Joes924  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2001 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea thats what I got taylor spiral core 8mm
the red ones there really fat

and do they eat plugs dont know gonna pull mine thgis weekend and check I opened up the gap a bunch though...
Joes924  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2001 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No plugs are fine
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: