Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

What do other p-car owners think?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skemcin  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:27 am    Post subject: What do other p-car owners think? Reply with quote

This post:
http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=19273

got me thinking about something that I recall has been loosely discussed here in the past. That is, What do other Porsche Owners think of, not necessarily the 924 in particular, but any pre 1985 p-car?

Do newer owners see our older cars and think, "Yeah that's cool an older Porsche?"

or is it more like, "Phhh, look at that clown 'trying' to be cool like me."

Curious of your thoughts because this guy a few houses down just bought a Boxster and I know he's seen my 924s but neither one of us has really approached the other - he and I are both married, so its not a gay thing (no offense at all intended to anyone, just that some people I've know to feel that way). Is there really not that much to talk about when comparing 20 years of automobile manufacturing progress?
9249206347 - 8k – waiting its resurrection, no power at the fuel pump and fuse #7 blows w/power
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
bass gt  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skemcin,

For my sins i am fortunate enough to own a 996 GT3, probably one of the greatest cars to come from the factory, period. As you know, i also built a little 924 Turbo racer. Why a 924?? well, it's still a P car, without which, it's doubtful Porsche would have survived to make the GT3 ect.
I don't think it's a case of people looking down on the older cars, just that newer owners don't appreciate the heritage of the marque.
My love affair with all thing Porshce started young(I'm half German after all ) I went to Le Mans at a tender age, to witness the mighty cars with the likes of Bell, Hurley ect tearing the competion to shreds.
Newer owners don't get it. They see a status symbol. Truth is, most people with a P car can't drive well enough to warrant a scooter, so the performance a Porsche offers is confined to a quick squirt up the road, feeling all butch and full of themselves. I've given full race spec Ferrari challenge cars a fright at Spa, which for a road car is incredible.
The bottom line is that to buy an older P car, you are buying the brand, the history, the breeding. That emblem says it all. So it's an old car. The front engined cars are still full of character, maybe lacking in power, but with fantastic chasis dynamics. Speed isn't about power, it's use of the available power.
Try getting that feeling in a modern, or older Jap box.
Nuff Said
skemcin  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, that is so the answer I was hoping for and can appreciate the most. I think what stands out the most from what you said is in your description of the disconnect new Porsche owners have with its history. I can completely see someone buying one solely on its reputation and not "really" understanding how it got there - well said.

I got a chuckle out of your opening comment - "for your sins" - lol. Lucky a$$ you is all I gotta say, I'm sure you've earned it.

So, I guess what you're saying, I should pull my 924 along side my neighbors Boxster and say (to the Boxster) "so this is one reason why you are who you are today"

thanks for the reply.
9249206347 - 8k – waiting its resurrection, no power at the fuel pump and fuse #7 blows w/power
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
bass gt  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, without the watercoolers, there would be no Porsche today, or not as we know it. A porsche is a porsche is a porsche. Age is immaterial. If you like driving, and i mean driving, there are few makes out there that deliver like a P car. And hey, the 911 is just a jumped up VW beetle.
Just tonight, when my car was being tested, a guy drove by in an early 944. What a shed it was, but, he had his dream car. It was a Porsche, and that was what he wanted. We both looked at eachoter, gave a knowing smile and nod, and off he went.Try that in a Civic
skemcin  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, I hear ya. I never really looked at the 911 in that light - a new perspective is always interesting to learn.

well, if each civic had those annoying "performance" muffler, a rear wing that needs to be removed when entering a parking garage, and purple neon lights eminating the asphault below the car the owners might give one another a nod.

bass gt  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but remember this. Front wheel drive is the Devil's work.
Should be stamped out. Forever.
flosho  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically, any knowledgeable, or porsche car enthusiast may not prefer the 924 or 944 even, but they respect it because they know the heritage.

I'm not a big fan of how the 928 looks but I still would give a thumbs up to any one driving one, its just the cool thing to do.

Unfortunately not every Porsche owner is an enthusiast or knowledgable. Like the other day when I got beside a new 911 convertible, the two guys in there wouldn't even look over, oh well.
Paul  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a lot of fun with 911 owners ever since I put a 996 bumper on my Boxster. From head on they are sure its another 911 so they always wave or flash their lights, then frown as we pass each other....
Polar Silver 02 996TT. "Turbo"
Owned and repaired 924s since 1977
Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
StienbargerR  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I must say a Porsche is a Porsche as well. My dream car is pretty much any Porsche, but my all time favorites are the early 911S's, and the 356 A speedsters, and I suppose the 550 spyders. Last month, my exchange student from Germany and I were at the Indy Speedway, and A Ferrari 550 and a 356a pulled up and parked together. Well, on our way out we went to look at them, but both of us really paid more attention to the little Porsche. Personally I think they have much more heart and soul than the new supercars with the electronically managed engines.

Ryan

PS-Does anyone else keep up the Porsche "Flash"?
Mike924  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StienbargerR wrote:
Does anyone else keep up the Porsche "Flash"?

I daren't! If I was to flash a newer 911 series, they'd probably think wannabe Porsche driver in his jumped up VW parts-bin car!

bassgt is right: a lot of people buy them because they're expensive, just to show off how rich they are; not because they appreciate the heritage of the marque. Remind a 911 driver of the VW origins of his car and see how you get on! And as for the Cayenne...don't get me started!

'There is no substitute for a little grease under your fingernails.' - Chrenan, 924board.org
Raceboy  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just last thursday and friday at Porsche Baltics Roadshow, where I had an opportunity to testdrive Cayenne Turbo S (521hp) on highway,race track and off-road) and there were that rich "wannabe's". There are two kind of them: the ones that buy new Porsche just for the position and show off it gives, and second group who know that marque and buy it because the have been dreamed of it since childhood and have the opportunity to buy it now.
You have so much to talk about with the second group and you feel incomfortable when talking to the first group Unfortunately, the first group is the majority.
'78 924 Carrera GT replica
'84 928 S, sold
'91 944 S2, sold
'82 924S/931 "Gulf", sold
'84 924, turbocharged, sold.
http://www.facebook.com/vemsporsche
timstar92404  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the owners of 924/944/928 are different than the 911 drivers. 911 owners are generally much older.... I see alot of old 50+ year old looking guys driving the 911s.
Khal  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still reckon the 924 isn't that fantastic. But there's no other sports cars of the same vintage that are as good for the price.
I also reckon the Turbo is the one to have, no ifs, buts or maybes. Nobody does turbo's like Porsche!

I'd actually take an MX-5/Miata over the 924... *ducks for cover!*

In fact, I was seriously considering buying one before I found out I was moving to Canada. Face it, they're newer and they're convertible. They're cool!
That or 944 Turbo, if I could find a good one for the right price (but MX-5/Miatas are common as muck and pretty cheap, too, so it'd be easier to find a really good one).

Or perhaps a Series VII RX-7...

Of course, my real dream car is '79 930. But I doubt you could even find one down here. Even the later 930's (mid-80's onwards) start at about AU$45,000 and go up to... well... whaddaya wanna pay?

And I'm no idiot. I'd have a new GT3 or Turbo -heck, anything but the Cayenne -in a second flat. But I'm still waiting on that lotto win!

Before you all start raggin' on me, I've been a Porsche nut since before I can remember. And I do appreciate the history of the marque, particularly the racing history. Man, I studied those cars for years, literally! I've got the books and magazines to prove it!

And I totally agree that there are those out there who buy one as a status symbol rather than for any real appreciation of sports/racing cars.

But I don't care, 'cause I'm not one of 'em!
Mike924  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MX5s (Miatas) are probably extremely nice to drive, but over here they're girls' cars. 80% of them are driven by thirty-something (fake) blondes, trying to convince people (or themselves) they aren't losing their looks!

And, sure, if GT3s were a couple of grand to buy, 924s wouldn't get a look-in!

'There is no substitute for a little grease under your fingernails.' - Chrenan, 924board.org
timstar92404  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah my dream car would be an 80s 911 turbo with the whaletale.

Porsche is a prestigious mark I assume alot of people buy them just to show up in a porsche at their meeting or whatever to impress other people or maybe feel successful. They buy a porsche to be in a different class than the regular people driving cavaliers and honda civics so when they see someone in a little 924 or 944 etc that doesn't cost much they won't feel as special owning a porsche. that's what I think. Obviously all people aren't like that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: