Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

How to fit rear belts 1985 924
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
martin924  

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 5:44 am    Post subject: How to fit rear belts 1985 924 Reply with quote

Hello, well i have managed it! thanks to help from people on here and Nottingham Porsche center,
1. release rear seat upper by the two buttons.
2. find the top edge of the lower seat and start peeling it towards the rear of the car, when you come to the metal clips keep carefully pulling and they come away.
3. the lower seat is glued in to place and it seems to be stitched along where it meets the catpet, i left this still attached, start from the top of the seat, and slowlypeel the seat out so its only connected to the carpet.
4. you can now easly see the ready threaded holes in the car shell and a cut away on the inside of the leather trim, and them take a deep breath and work a small sharp pointy thing straight through, same on the other side.
5. leaving the seat in this position, peel back the quarter cloth trim and same again with the pointy sharp thing,
6. apply carpet spray glue to the metal car shell and push it all back together then straight away get your bolts in before the glue sets in case you need to move the seat slightly. refit the metal retaining clips to the upper of the lower section.
7, Now tell the wife that german cars esp Porsches are so strong and safe its the perfect SAFE family car..

I know its all a bit obvious but it might save someone a bit of time
Peter_in_AU  

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This should go in the How-To section. Did you take any pics?

Learn to love your multimeter and may the search be with you
Slam  

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8. Stick rear seat back down again using liberal amounts of carpet adhesive and get hands covered in the stuff so everything you touch - tools, door handles, car keys, windows, CDs, etc. sticks to you.

My wife put rear belts in her 924 just the way you describe but she took out EVERYTHING to dye, paint and fiddle. Then got mad and plunged a screwdriver through the seat right where the blind nuts for the belts are. She has her ways...
'80 924 - gone
'78 924 - gone
'77 924 - rusting comfortably
doomer77  

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why would you want belts there anyway?
dont tell me somebody has to sit back there

1980 924 n/a - engine swap begun
1989 Volvo 480ES
Stu2j  

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first got my 924 (way back when), I was notified that the car was subject to a recall. The recall was for the rear seatbelts and thus the Porsche dealer installed them for me for free.

It would seem most US cars should have the rear belts unless the recall was ignored.
Click here to view them:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
berkman007  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone put 3 point seat belts in the rear? Mine has lap belts but the wife won't let the kids ride with me until I get 3pt belts back there.
Min  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

berkman007 wrote:
Has anyone put 3 point seat belts in the rear? Mine has lap belts but the wife won't let the kids ride with me until I get 3pt belts back there.

I got some from a member in new zealand and installed them. So yes, I have 3 point seat belts in the rear.

Min
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Carrera  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Min wrote:
berkman007 wrote:

I got some from a member in new zealand and installed them. So yes, I have 3 point seat belts in the rear.

Min

Are your rear 3-point seatbelts originally from a 924 or 944/944S2/968?

I'm also looking into installing 3-point belts in the back but haven't found any threads/articles how to go about it with origianl Porsche parts... I wouldn't want to instal any aftermarket parts.

In case you have any pictures that you could post that would be highly appreciated
Min  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carrera wrote:
Are your rear 3-point seatbelts originally from a 924 or 944/944S2/968?

I was told they are from a 924 by a respected member of this forum. They bolted in without any issues and look stock.

Carrera wrote:
I'm also looking into installing 3-point belts in the back but haven't found any threads/articles how to go about it with origianl Porsche parts... I wouldn't want to instal any aftermarket parts.

In case you have any pictures that you could post that would be highly appreciated

I'll explain it for you. First, remove your old seat belts. Next, bolt in the new ones. You will need to pry out the plug thing in the hole near the quarter panel window to expose the 3rd point bolt hole.

That's it. 3 bolts and its done. Takes 5 minutes. 10 if you take it for a test drive after.

Min
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ideola  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at illustration 812-00 in PET. It specifies a rear three-point seat belt for the Australian and Norway markets. The part number for the belt itself is 478.857.811.A. There are a few other AUS-specific parts for fastening it to the chassis, but the shortie buckle piece appears to be the standard issue item. You could probably source one of these from someone who is breaking a 924 or early 944 down under.
Carrera  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips guys!

I'll have to check from down under if there are any belts on the market

I suppose all cars have the 3rd point bolt hole hidden under the plug... even 1981 models?

Strangely enough I popped into one early 944 here in Finland a few years back that also had 3-point belts in the back that seemed to be original but they were static belts
ideola  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact, PET reveals that there were both fixed and "automatic" belts available for all three versions (front 3-point, rear lap belt, and rear 3-point). By automatic, I think they are referring to the belt retractor device, at least judging by the diagrams. The part number I referenced is a fixed or static belt...
Carrera  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ideola wrote:
In fact, PET reveals that there were both fixed and "automatic" belts available for all three versions (front 3-point, rear lap belt, and rear 3-point). By automatic, I think they are referring to the belt retractor device, at least judging by the diagrams. The part number I referenced is a fixed or static belt...

Thanks for the clarification!

... I prefer the retractable versions

I wonder if the late 944S2 or 968 3-point rear belts would fit as they are more readily available...
Min  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine are 'fixed' I just tension them after the kid is installed.

Min
john h  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isupplied the belts to Min and they came out of one of my old cars.

If you want the interia reel type you have two options (both expensive)

One is to find a late model 944/ 968 at a junk yard and cut out the mounting bracket which fits half way along the back fender and runs between the wheel arch and the window frame, then weld this into your car or if your not a good welder get a shop to do it. Remember to grind back all surfaces to remove the zinc coating as it will weaken the weld and the fumes given off when you weld are not good for your health. (I've just done this to my GT replica). In New Zealand whether you can physically use the seats or not you have to have seat belts for all seats if the car is newer than 1981.

The second option is to find some interia reel belts that mount flat and then bolt these to the floor behind the seats - however to be safe you will need to strengthen the the floor. I mounted my racing harness this way but we ran a substantial steel angle below the floor and then this inturn was welded and bolted to the cross frame that the fuel tank (and in non dogleg car) the gearbox hangs off.

All the cars should have mounting holes in them. i've yet to find one without them. The last car I wrecked forr parts was a 1978 (ex USA) and that had mounting brackets for rear belts.

if you take it to pieces slowly it can provide anguish all year long!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: