Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Roll bar advice

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JSilverman  

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: Roll bar advice Reply with quote

Hello, I have recently purchased a 1988 924s so that I can remove the daily driver GTI from track use(DE and maybe some time trials). The car has most of the maintenence taken care of (belts, pump rollers, front seals have 10k on them) I just need to tackle a few simple things. Next on the list is geting the car ready for the track. I plan on adding new seats, a rollbar and harnesses. I have been looking around at some of the online vendors and this is what Ive found thus far:

Autopower bar is not my first choice because it mounts to the floorpan.

DAS Sport makes a bar as well, but it seems expensive at around $1000.

OG racing has a bar for about $600 but they dont have much info on it.

Safety devices bar is $750 or so.

Does anyone have any experience with any of these bars? (im not getting a full cage as the car will be driven on the street every once in a while) I am local to OG racing so thats another plus for their bar. Did I miss any offerings from other companies? TIA!
skemcin  

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a chrome molly bar installed locally for pretty cheap. I'd add your nearest major city and state to your profile, so people can reference you places accordingly.
9249206347 - 8k – waiting its resurrection, no power at the fuel pump and fuse #7 blows w/power
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
John Brown  

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Roll bar advice Reply with quote

JSilverman wrote:
Autopower bar is not my first choice because it mounts to the floorpan.

DAS Sport makes a bar as well, but it seems expensive at around $1000.

OG racing has a bar for about $600 but they dont have much info on it.

Safety devices bar is $750 or so.

The Autopower works fine. All the bar is really about anyway is a place to attach shoulder harness. Otherwise the roof of the car is plenty strong. And the Autopower give slightly more room to the arms. It's also the easiest to install.

The DAS is a quality item.

OG works fine. Requires welding to install.

Safety Devices has better craftsmanship than the others (this varies by the way as they move the supplier around). Also requires welding.

If you plan on installing the bar yourself you need to consider whether you can weld or not. If you are going to pay someone to install then consider a custom fabrication. Since you are near OG you must also be near Piper Motorsports. Piper is the local cage guru for custom fabrication.

So. I have said before; I don't LIKE any of the premade. Each has some deficiency. But they work fine. And if all I was going to do was DE then I'd probably do the Autopower. Easiest by far to install.
80 931 - #931 44Cup
99 Escalade - tows track cars
gone but not forgotten: original 924.org car - 82
JSilverman  

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: Roll bar advice Reply with quote

John Brown wrote:

If you plan on installing the bar yourself you need to consider whether you can weld or not. If you are going to pay someone to install then consider a custom fabrication.
I cant weld, although Id love to learn. Unfortunately I dont think this would be the time to do so. Im going to give piper a call today and see what kind of price Im looking at. The car will be used first for DEs and then eventually to race. (44cup and GTS look like fun classes) Id like something that can be built onto should I decide to get a full cage installed so maybe custom is the way to go. Thanks again for the info.
924RACR  

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the OG, from the pre-made cages/bars - have the OG cage myself, it does go to the sills. But again, I'm with John in that local custom-made is best and cheapest too!
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
924RACR  

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, be sure if you're looking to go racing that you size the bar appropriately - check the NASA rulebook (CCR, available for download on their website) to determine the appropriate size of tubing required for your car, it's usually based on the weight of the car (and not class specific). Most likely you'll be wanting either 0.095" wall 1.75" OD or 0.120 wall 1.5" OD.

But don't take my word for it, check the rulebook.
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
JSilverman  

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be getting just the roll bar from OG racing which I asume is just the back half of the cage. I have also talked to the local fabricator and it would cost me about the same as the DAS bar. I have checked the SCCA cage regs and I think the OG bar would be ok for solo1, but I do like the idea of a custom bar, especially after seeing the work done on my friends car, but that will be a few months as the shop is very booked up right now. Decisions decisions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924 Racing Today All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: