Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Weight Reduction
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior
View previous topic :: View next topic  
endwrench  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject: Weight Reduction Reply with quote

Best guess, how much weight would I loose if I stripped the rear seats, carpet and sunshade? I would probably recarpet and I don't want to remove the sound deadener. I also plan to relocate the battery to the back and remove the spare tire.

Todd

Last edited by endwrench on Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
endwrench  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I answered most of my own question. Here is what I have so far:

Spare tire = 35lbs
Top cover and tool bag = 8lbs
Jack = 6lbs
Rear carpet = 10lbs
Sound Mat = 9lbs
Seat Back w\Cargo Cover = 20lbs
Cut off bumber struts = 2.75lbs each x 4 = 11lbs
Seat bottem = 6lbs
Replace stock exaust system with 2 1\2" performance system = 30lbs
951 radiator and slim fan net savings = 4lbs
Hybred GT headlight conversion = 15lbs

Total = 154lbs

Plus I lost 2 more pounds by replacing my leaky fuel pump with a Ford unit and replacing my hatch "prop stick" with a length of PVC! Grand total of 156 pounds!!

I had my car weighed a couple weeks ago and it was 2560 lbs so now it is 2404 lbs or 2387.5 without the sunroof!

Data point: Sunroof = 16.5lbs

I still need to figure out how to remove the lower half of the rear seat. It just seems to be glued in. Is this true? Do I just "RIP" it out? I cant find any spring or frame work that might be attached with clips or latches.

I'm going to re carpet the back to make it look half descent so this will add back 5-10 lbs plus I still need to mount up my 14 lb intercooler plus all the related plumbing.

Todd

Edit: I've decide to keep a running tab on weight reduction here as I find things. I'll keep editing this post to make life eisier for anyone who wants a list.

Last edited by endwrench on Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:20 am; edited 7 times in total
Llamaguy  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the lower part is glued in and has a bunch of metal clips along the top edge, under the top section. It really only ways maybe ~1 lb, which is about what anything that goes in its place to cover the whole would way so there isn't too much reason to even bother with it. Plus, people could almost still sit in it if need be.
alxch1n15  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you have the part # for the ford fuel pump? also, how much did it cost?
endwrench  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Llamaguy wrote:
the lower part is glued in and has a bunch of metal clips along the top edge, under the top section. It really only ways maybe ~1 lb, which is about what anything that goes in its place to cover the whole would way so there isn't too much reason to even bother with it. Plus, people could almost still sit in it if need be.

OK, I went ahead and pulled it. It actually weighs 6.5lbs. I can't imagine anyone sitting back there especially without seatbelts!

Alxch1n15, the pump fits most all Ford trucks and vans from 1987-95 or so. They are tuff as nails. I have only replaced 2 in y career compared to hundreds of intank units. Used units should be cheap. You can look for new. I suspect you can find one for less than $100. They are also more quiet than the OE Bosch unit. It isn't a direct bolt in though. I had already modified mine to rid myself of a leaking fuel accumelator so mine just used a barbed outlet. The inlet is smaller than the bosch but easy enough to adapt as there is little pressure at that point. Also remeber my setup is for EFI but I do run more than 65lbs of pressure on my system. These pumps will deadhead 100+ lbs. That is as high as my gauge goes.

Todd
Kenodog  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's awsome news about the fuel pump.The mods should put it in the Tech. section for future referencing.
2008 GS500
2016 DR650
2019 KTM 790 Adventure
-nick  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, did all of that really weigh out that much? I'm really surprised. Especially the rear lower seat - it's all foam after all!

Are you using a bathroom scale? Have a 10lb sack of potatoes lying around to calibrate it?

nick
co  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:14 am    Post subject: lose more weight Reply with quote

hello endwrench i have seen a replacment rear window in fibreglass in a german mag not sure if it was home made or possible to buy it looked good and would save a rake of weight .It only has a small up-right window so keeps the inside cooler on sunny days. chris
Porsche924boy  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well at GTRacing.com i know they got a hatch that is real light, so you might think about that.

Auto Technician Diploma
Diesel Technician Diploma
endwrench  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-nick wrote:
Wow, did all of that really weigh out that much? I'm really surprised. Especially the rear lower seat - it's all foam after all!

Are you using a bathroom scale? Have a 10lb sack of potatoes lying around to calibrate it?

nick

A little late getting back to the subject but just to make clear I use a produce scale that has always been spot on for weighing postage items.

I know what you mean about the lower seat! I couldn't believe it either.

Todd
endwrench  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found a little more. I did the "Euro Bumper" thing so I went a head and cut the rear of the struts off all 4 struts after collapsing and welding them. 2 3\4lbs each for a grand total of 11lbs. Plus the car looks better

Todd
sequential  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

endwrench wrote:
Llamaguy wrote:

OK, I went ahead and pulled it. It actually weighs 6.5lbs. I can't imagine anyone sitting back there especially without seatbelts!

Alxch1n15, the pump fits most all Ford trucks and vans from 1987-95 or so. They are tuff as nails. I have only replaced 2 in y career compared to hundreds of intank units. Used units should be cheap. You can look for new. I suspect you can find one for less than $100. They are also more quiet than the OE Bosch unit. It isn't a direct bolt in though. I had already modified mine to rid myself of a leaking fuel accumelator so mine just used a barbed outlet. The inlet is smaller than the bosch but easy enough to adapt as there is little pressure at that point. Also remeber my setup is for EFI but I do run more than 65lbs of pressure on my system. These pumps will deadhead 100+ lbs. That is as high as my gauge goes.

Todd

the factory pump will see 160 psi.
cold star issues while on stands
112 whp with new 4 valve head and MIS 2
endwrench  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sequential wrote:

the factory pump will see 160 psi.

Do you mean the factory CIS system or are you rating the pumps deadhead pressure? I don't know either but it seems, IIRC, the stock CIS system operates at something a little less than 100psi? Not sure.

If the CIS operates at 160psi and is capable of supporting 300+ HP then I am sure the Ford pump would not keep up. The Ford pump is capable of supporting 400+ HP at 60psi though.

Todd
Joes924Racer  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea with your efi sys. you got running suites you
cis has such a high pres. i dout the ford pump
will work for us cis-ers. ..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Vince Ponz  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took out the sound deadening material, Euro front and rear bumper no trim, rear seat etc out, door panels out, no air, gutted the sun roof also, For the glass on the back panel I did make them out of Fiberglass but never put them in[ use existing glass for template], no cat, no rugs, roll bar in, radio out, may take out the heater when I move to FL., also the rear spare tire cubbie,

I have some euro bumpers avail if anyone is interested.
88 924S SE
87 911 Targa stock
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior All times are GMT + 11 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: