Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

New Pics of the Whipple
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
endwrench  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject: New Pics of the Whipple Reply with quote

I actually got a little more done on this. Just finished the intake manifold for the charger:

Also finished the mounting bracket with intergrated belt tensioner:

I had to build a new dipstick to clear the blower. Amazing how long little things like this can take. I probably have 3+ hours wrapped up in it!

Here are a couple pics of the blower mounted up and the new intake tube fabricated from 3"mandrel bend. Mandrels aren't as easy to cut and fit as they look especially for a guy who flunked geometry!

I haven't got it actually hooked up yet. I need to fabricate a tube from the blower to the TB. At this point I have no idea what kind of boost if any it will produce. As you can see from the pictures I have a huge pulley on it turning it pretty slow. 1 to 1 ratio for now so there shoud be no need for an intercooler. That is in the future though! I have it already but I need to modify the plumbing on it so I can plumb right thru the radiator support. This will go on after rebuilding the motor and going to a 931 style head and custom intake manifold. Hopefully my welding improves by then! For now it just wines real pretty and blows hard!!

Todd
Raceboy  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job! It's good to see someone has some progress

I hope to take some pics of my everlasting project too, soon.
'78 924 Carrera GT replica
'84 928 S, sold
'91 944 S2, sold
'82 924S/931 "Gulf", sold
'84 924, turbocharged, sold.
http://www.facebook.com/vemsporsche
simsport  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject: mAX BOOST? Reply with quote

Hi there
Whats the max output of that whipple?

My Eaton makes about 10-12 psi .
Enough for 205 bhp but I would like a bit more!

Simon
ESC944  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Very NICE!

Simsport... more boost... hemmm... twin charger setup...? I forget did you ever race port your Eaton?
endwrench  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: mAX BOOST? Reply with quote

simsport wrote:
Hi there

Simon

I don't know yet. I'll let you know what I am getting with the 1:1 belt ratio then I will make a guess at max boost. I am sure it will not be as much as it could be. The only reason this project came about Is I basically found this blower laying in a garbage can in pieces. Before that I was already geared up for a turbo charger. This blower was bolted to a 1997 Chevy K20 pickup with a 350 Vortec. It made a bout 6 lbs of boost in that application and still was at the time of removal but was making horrendous noise due to overheating and scoring the rotors. They turn these poor suckers at almost a 3:1 ratio in this application. Whipple claims they are good for 18,000rpm but lysholm says 13,500rpm. It is a 1.6 Liter charger making it 96cid. I had to "polish" the rotors so clearence will not be as good as new. They swapped quite a bit of metal!

I know you were looking at upgrading to the whipple in the past but remember what I said then. Whipple says these are completly non-rebuildable! They won't even sell you a set of seals for the thing. You may have better luck dealing with Lysolm as you are accross the pond and they are the holder of the patents.

Todd
sequential  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: mAX BOOST? Reply with quote

simsport wrote:
Hi there

Simon

Simon is that at the wheels ? was you car the one featured in a uk mag for porsche's
cold star issues while on stands
112 whp with new 4 valve head and MIS 2
crazyinkc  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Todd, you wouldn't have any pics of your TPS setup would you? I see you are using the stock TB but the lower shaft looks modified. I need to do something with mine. That is the only thing holding me up on my Megasquirt conversion.
endwrench  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmm, I didn't document that very well. I went thru three different setups before ariving at this one. I plan to convert an Audi TB and I will take better pictures of that. I don't even know wich TPS I am using . I am pretty sure I robbed it from a bunch of early\mid 80's Dodge turbo stuff I pulled for my turbo project before the whipple side tracked me. If you notice it has wires coming off it instead of a plug in. It also has a thru hole so it can be mounted to turn in either direction. I had a problem finding a TPS that would rotate the proper direction. I had to cut the return spring off the lower shaft then grind and file it to a knife edge. I then drilled and tapped the TB for mounting. This was all meant to be "temporary" but has lasted a couple years like this. Here is the only picture I have:

Todd
leadfoot  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NICE work....
At 1:1 you should have a fair amount of airflow....
psi approx 14.1
hp approx 193

not including belt drive loss or blower efficiency though....
I'd take these figures with a grain of salt... more likely your figure are going to be about 10% less...
out of curiosity what are you expecting from your calculations??
Leadfoot
crazyinkc  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Todd. I going to use an 80 TB and intake (holes modded for N/A) and did not want to distroy the TB trying to get a TPS to work.
endwrench  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leadfoot, my calculations came out about the same but I do not expect anywhere close to that. If I see 6-8 psi I will be happy. I actually base some of the pessimism on your results plus the fact my blower is not in the best shape! I also believe my low rpm boost will not be very good. I think the boost will come on like that of a Paxton. I really have to many un-calcuable variables to make a very good guess at power output. I won't know for a couple weeks when I can get a freind to help me tune. If the first run shows more than 7 psi I think I will quit and get the intercooler hooked up before further testing. After all, I am running 9.5:1 compression with stock 924 pistons!

Todd
simsport  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:38 am    Post subject: Blower mods Reply with quote

I get 205bhp at the flywheel, it would be about 235bhp engine power if I had 205 at the wheels.

It goes well though!

I never did twincharge it, or indeed buy the whipple due to costs, sadly my pockets are a wee bit shallow these days.

I have considered getting one of the 'blower' arrangements, you know , the 1.5-2 psi variety and using that to help feed the supercharger.

If they can deliver anything like that pressure it should multiply out by giving more boost and lower temps. The eaton needs the easist route in it can get. Mercedes got a lot of power by running rootes type blowers in series.

If I could get another 25bhp with this and a remap I can go after sbass!!!

Cheers
Simon
bass gt  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon,

Come after ME?? You gotta be dreaming son!! Let's turn this thread into a "Who's gott the bigger balls fiasco", such as I've just seen my open question regarding turbo's turn into. And i know where you live, so i can come round and throw a paddy on your front lawn. and scream and puke. OK??
sequential  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bass gt wrote:
Simon,

Come after ME?? You gotta be dreaming son!! Let's turn this thread into a "Who's gott the bigger balls fiasco", such as I've just seen my open question regarding turbo's turn into. And i know where you live, so i can come round and throw a paddy on your front lawn. and scream and puke. OK??

Hey, that would not be me your talking about ! i'm due a vist to the factory in manchester so i can do the same, mate, that way i can verify the dyno stories.
cold star issues while on stands
112 whp with new 4 valve head and MIS 2
bass gt  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seq,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: