Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Radiator replacement

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pez  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:03 pm    Post subject: Radiator replacement Reply with quote

couldn't find an answer on the search fn.

I need to replace my radiator on my CGT and I'd rather replace with a new item rather than used to avoid any issues !

With all the heat/humitidty here in HK it seems like a good idea to insert a cooler item... Does anyone know of a plug & play upgrade? I can't be doing with the 944 upgrade (having to mod pipes source bottles etc) & I want to keep the car relatively as stock.

Cheers
CGT #330 - & she's all mine....
WEASEL149  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a new core made up out of copper still using end tanks of old rad. Copper is more efficient than aluminium and you can have it made 33% larger like I did to enhance the cooling, without resorting to 944 mods, so keeping your car looking standard (im my opinion this is important with a true classic like the CGT).
emoore924  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used a rad from a 944S in a 924. It essentially bolts right in but you need to splice new pieces of hose into the system to accommodate the differences between the 924 setup and the 944 hose mounts on the rad. I have the hose numbers someplace so if you really, really, want them, PM and I'll go see what I can find. You also need two of those little plastic "splicer" things that allow you to change the diameter of the rad hose because you only use something like 4" off the end of the new hoses (the ones I think I have the number for that I mentioned above...). I think the splicers are a buck or two at any auto parts store.

No changes to the rest of the 924 plumbing. You can retain your overflow tank, etc.

Works much much better than the factory 924 system. *NEVER* had an overheating problem after. Never.
emoore924  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I found the part #'s for the radiator hoses you need to make the 944S rad work for a 924.

These were from Pep Boys. I found them by convincing the parts counter guy to let me hang out in the hose room until I found what I wanted (props to Pep Boys!)

With these, you had to cut the hose about 1/2 way, connect one end to the rad and splice the other to the original 924 hose (that was shortened as well). I used a couple of those grey plastic "radiator hose size changer" tube things to do the trick. DK the actual sizes anymore but if you use the following hoses, just buy what fits and you'll figure it out.

Top hose: 71079
Bottom hose: 71030

If someone *has* to have pics <waaahh>, PM and I'll do what I can.
pez  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the feedback emoore..

what yr & model is your 924, iask because i just want to ensure that there are no major differences between what I have i.e. 1980 CGT & yours.

cheers!
emoore924  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

79 924 (model??)

I think this would work for any 924.
pez  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if i go down the route of an oem replacement does anyone know a good source price wise ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Tech. All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: