Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Newbie here, is this a good price for this 924?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nataku  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Newbie here, is this a good price for this 924? Reply with quote

Hello all. I'm going to a local dealership on Saturday to hopefully trade in my POS 2001 Lincoln LS for this 1977 924. It has the 2.0 Audi engine and the 4 spd tranny. It has 58,185k on the clock. Hope it looks as good in person as it does in the pic. Well, anyway, the dealer wants $5999 for it. I proposed a straight up trade and it sounded like they wanted to go for it if all goes well Saturday. Is that a good price for the car (or trade, I should say...as my lincoln has about the same value)? I'm a mk1 Scirocco guy, so I know about the mechanics of the car, but not so much about how much they go for. Any help appreciated!

Pic:

Ozzie  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$5999?

I have a piece of land here for sale and a bridge I dont use.
You can have the lot for a bargain.

In other words keep your money/car and look elsewhere. You are being robbed.
Engineer of Electro/Mechanical Systems Maintenance
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a bit high, even for concourse perfect. . .plus it has none of the later model goodies (5 speed, 4 wheel disc, etc).

But then again, you aren't out any cash on the deal!
Nataku  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I hear you guys on the price. I paid $3k for my mint '80 Scirocco and thought that was a lot. Well, rust is a main thing here in Minnesota. Pre 1983 cars free of rust will fetch a premium here in the rust belt due to their scarceness and the convenience (opposed to having one shipped from say, California). But for 6k, the thing better be damn near perfect. I only paid $4k for my Lincoln, so I'm thinking of it as paying $4k for the Porsche....maybe that makes the $6k price sound a bit better? Anyway, I'm hoping all goes well on Saturday, but as I said...if there's as much as a squeal or a rip in the seats I'm walking away. I have a back-up car I'm gonna look at too, a supposed mint '81 924 Turbo for $3k, nice price...but I don't have cash up front (trying to sell the Lincoln at the moment)....but the '81 is about a 3 hour drive south of here (twin-cities). Oh well....we'll see what happens.
Scorpio  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$6000 for a 77 924 , thats wayy too much. I could be wrong but i think i read somewhere that the 924 changed their galvanising procedure around 1979-1980 meaning models before than didnt have as good a galvanised coating..ie stick to after those dates(if im right) escpecially if youre in a rust prone area, also 4 speed... not cool...go the turbo and think of the 3 hr drive as a road trip, which could be made in 2 and a half hours by the 924 turbo
BILSTEIN SHOCKS
GT BASED CUSTOM BODYKIT

Brisbane , Australia
Think mean think fast
all youll see is
my Porsches Arse!!!
pocketscience  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless that big orange thing on the side is solid gold forget it...

G.
69 911
924guy  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

price is probably irrelevant in this case. id bet the dealer cant get what they want, and if im reading between the lines right, the Lincoln isnt exactly drawing lines of potential buyers either. going by book values, its a raw deal, as the Lincoln should be worth far more, its those "other" factors that may make this a decent option. id also guess the dealer can sell the Lincoln allot easier, and get a better price for the Lincoln, than he can for the 924. Id gladly straight trade my "needs repair but runs" Buick park avenue ultra for even a shabby 924, it would be a bargain imo.
i like the 4spd, better off the line and more torque down low, above 80 or so and they get a little week feeling, and as all early 924s, noisy, but they're allot of fun. the pic looks great, if the rest is in good order its definitely worth exploring the trade option. besides the normals , also check the interior ventilation fan, they're expensive and a pita to do, and in cold weather, if its broken, no defrost and only trickle heat if your lucky, and its a common failure in early cars.
it will not have the power or comfort of a Lincoln, two totally different animals, if you haven't been spoiled by cushy cars, youll probably like it though...
99' VehiCross
Y2K Honda Insight
http://www.cardomain.com/id/924Guy
Performance by Pasha
gohim  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way that the 924 could be worth $6K is if it is an ORGINAL, UNMOLESTED 77 924. Not repainted, Not Restored, Not Modified, and Never Crashed.

For $6K you can buy a 951, a 944S2, a 944S, a 944, or a perfect 924S.

Of course the 924 would have the least horsepower, and the least features, besides being the lightest. The 924 is also the least expensive to own and operate, without the "interference" engine of heavier, faster, newer cousins.

You should also be aware that the 924 odo only goes to 100K miles before it rolls to 00 miles, and MANY 924 SPEEDOS DO NOT WORK. So make sure that your low mileage creampuff is exactly that.
Neil924  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid $7,500 for mine and although it was and is a good car I over paid greatly { on average} but these cars seem to be "that pricey" around here.

I assume you can find a much better deal.

Keep looking or offer them $2,500 in cash.
D Hook  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What exactly is all wrong w/the Lincoln?

Would the 924 be your daily driver?
Nataku  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D Hook wrote:
What exactly is all wrong w/the Lincoln?

Would the 924 be your daily driver?

The lincoln has a failing auto tranny, needs new wheel bearings, already has rust, needs fuel pump, brakes, fuel pressure regulator and who knows what else. I read about 10 pages of reviews, 99% said the car is a lemon. I want to rid myself of this problematic car asap. I'll sadly have to drive it this winter, after this it will be my summer daily driver when I have time and cash to get a winter beater for next year. I have a rust-free 1980 Scirocco, so I'm used to this type of car. I drove my Scirocco through a winter once, and, with wiping it down after each drive when I got home I managed to keep her rust free. I hope to do the same with this.
Nataku  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gohim wrote:
The only way that the 924 could be worth $6K is if it is an ORGINAL, UNMOLESTED 77 924. Not repainted, Not Restored, Not Modified, and Never Crashed.

For $6K you can buy a 951, a 944S2, a 944S, a 944, or a perfect 924S.

Of course the 924 would have the least horsepower, and the least features, besides being the lightest. The 924 is also the least expensive to own and operate, without the "interference" engine of heavier, faster, newer cousins.

You should also be aware that the 924 odo only goes to 100K miles before it rolls to 00 miles, and MANY 924 SPEEDOS DO NOT WORK. So make sure that your low mileage creampuff is exactly that.

This is what I'm hoping for.
Khal  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gohim wrote:
low mileage creampuff...

Just me? Or is that a HUGE scratch/dent in the drivers' side rear quarter?
gohim  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a reflection in the paint to me.
BTMF  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Khal wrote:
gohim wrote:
low mileage creampuff...

Just me? Or is that a HUGE scratch/dent in the drivers' side rear quarter?

It looks more like a reflection to me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: