Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

exhaust manifold

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andy 931  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:41 am    Post subject: exhaust manifold Reply with quote

does anyone know where i can get a branch exhaust manifold for my 85 924 na . it is a rhd , steering shaft clearence might be a problem, has anyone fitted one on a rhd before?
thanks
andy
1985 924 na blue
simsport  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:41 am    Post subject: Me too please! Reply with quote

Can I second that request. In my case I have a 931 but want a normal branch manifold as I need that for a supercharged engine rather than a turbocharged one.

It has been suggested I modify a 944 unit which I may yet do.

Cheers
Simon
andy 931  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

think they are called headers in the us?
1985 924 na blue
leadfoot  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

944 manifold are a funny design,
they have the flanges horizontal as opposed to our vertical arrangement and the spacing between 2+3 and 4+1 would also be off....
It might be easier to make a new set or modify a msds header as they only need one of the runner modified from what I've been led to believe, ask RC as he has done this recently to clear the RHD steering arrangement.
Leadfoot
RC  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doh! So you are referring to headers hey? Or extractors in OZ? Whatever!

Since Leadfoot mentioned it, yeah i did that but would only recommend it in preference to custom making the whole set. Did look on the net for RHD ones in the UK with no luck but check it out thoroughly there first.

Had to mod #1, #3 and #4 pipes. #1 originally was bent to clear the oil filter that just sticks out on LHD cars, whereas RHD has an angled adaptor. This was virtually straightened to clear the steering shaft. Did same to #4 but was easier. This also clears the shaft and starter.

#3 is a real PITA as the shaft went straight through it. Used a couple of 90deg mandrel bends here, one at 90 and the other cut about 60 or so to suit and migged it to the remainder of the primary pipe.

I bolted the whole thing to a block of 4x4 hardwood before heating and bashing mainly #1&4 into shape and welding #1&3. It still distorted and after more heat and bashing was still too uneven by my standards. Less than a mm though. Probably may have sealed OK on a 2mm asbestos fibre gasket but figured it was better to spend $50 surface grinding it first rather than later if it was unsatisfactory.

The most disappointing aspect however was that I could barely notice any improvement in power over a match ported and mildly cleaned out stock cast manifold. No dyno comparison here but in my experience wouldnt give it any more than 5 hp at the upper end of the scale. I am supercharging it though and feel sure I have opened the flow for it, but for a NA street car suggest you seriously weigh up the pros and cons.

Can post some pics later if you are still interested.

Roger
RC  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, you dont say what engine you have in your 85. Mine is a 2.0L, so if yours is a 2.5L, disregard the above. Cant give any advise on that. 944 ones would be more suitable I imagine.

Roger
andy 931  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its a 2.0, pictures would be apriciated.
1985 924 na blue
RC  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before:

During:

After:

endwrench  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! Nice job! What a complete PITA

I'm running the same header and IC. Do you plan to run the IC without changing the inlets?

Todd
RC  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really sure about the IC at this stage.

Was leaning towards blanking off the outlets and welding a 60 to 90 deg mandrel bent section to the top and feeding it through the top radiator surround panel. Would mount it up under this and bolt through to the top mounts and probably an angle bracket across the bottom.

Also considering a bend each side, dropping the rad an inch and running it out either side of the rad mounts. Recored stock radiator copes OK with NA, even on very hot long uphill climbs, but feel sure I may have to change it when boosted.

Keeping all options open so any thoughts?

Roger
endwrench  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you probably know I upgraded to a 951 rad because I was having some heating problems after installing the IC in front of the stock rad. My rad was in good shape but just couldn't do the job. In hind site, after converting it, I think part of the problem was how I mounted it. I had it mounted very close to rad with less than 1\4" space between the two. I even sealed the gap with weather stripping.

If you look at the IC you will see the "bars" are quite wide and basically take up about 1\2 the frontal area. You can also see the "fin" area is quite open and capable of quite a bit of flow. I think if you can space the radiator out atleast 1\2"-3\4' from the IC you will get most of your flow back thru the rad. This should help cooling quite a bit. You should still seal the radiator to the IC.

This is how I set my IC up:

This is why I like it (you may not ). First, I was able to use 2 1\4" pipe wich is more than big enough for any application related to the 924. Next, with the inlets pointed straight down I think more area of the IC will be used, especially the bottem half compared to the stock location. Next, using stub pipes to attach hoses to, leaves your plumbing options more open so you can basically "point" them anywhere you want after the install. It also makes for a very easy attachment to the header panel as you mentioned.

The one big drawback is the need to cut your lower valance to make room for it. Though, I am not sure there is really any way around this anyway with any ather mounting style. There is also really no way of not centering this on the header panel so you will end up very close to the radiator. You will then need to figure a way of spacing the radiator away from the IC. Hope this helps.

Todd
RC  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies Andy for this thread getting OT, still happy to help with the headers but in one acronym its a PITA.

Thankyou Endwrench for your comprehensive answer on the IC installation and sharing your experience. I`ve seen the identical IC in my dreams. I DO like it too!

Agree with the assumption of directing more flow to the lower cores and also on your choice of 2 1/4" pipe. Bit difficult to source here as 2 and 2 1/2 are common. Basic calculations reflect Toyotas use of a 2 1/4 charge pipe too with the SC14 on a 6cyl 2litre. In my mock up can just get a 2 1/2 bend in between the header panel and the hood. but the wall thickness of a silicone bend may not. Assume your 2 1/4 ID one fits OK. Did intend investigating whether bends welded to the IC will be able to be inserted through the holes by tilting the IC back through the rad opening (with no rad) and then swung forward. Worked in my dream anyway.

That is a valid and logical point you brought up about the wider cores obstructing the rad flow. Had intended to mount close together with a rubber seal between but now can see your issue. An inch gap, rubber sealed all round starts to make sense now. Might give some more thought to mounting the rad back a bit to improve airflow between the IC and the front horizontal box section. The radiator is another issue that I am weighing up together with the IC.

However as there is no map to follow when navigating uncharted waters, one can really only use their own judgment and gain from the experience of others before them. Appreciate you sharing it Todd, you have given me something to think about. Still a while off yet but intend starting a new thread here and welcome further discussion.

BTW, hope Santa gives you broadband, forgot how mind numbingly slow dial up was till I went to get a pizza and returned to see the video clips still downloading.

Roger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: