Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

HAUSBRAUEN Supercharger - UPDATED
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Well what is it going to be?
Build it and start selling them already!!!
58%
 58%  [ 24 ]
Keep it to yourself and step away from your tools
9%
 9%  [ 4 ]
I want one
21%
 21%  [ 9 ]
I don't want one, make mine a double, give me 2
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Drop the Color, I dont want no stinkin' color
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Give me more colors, lots of colors
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
What were you thinking? Just one more thing for me to spend money on thanks alot!
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 41

ESC944  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea fuel delivery and belt issues, was first test runs I will post the later dyno runs soon as I get a chance.

Remember this, these runs where done to a NA, it had not been previous set up for boost. Everything was pretty much a add on... and fabricated at that, heck my test hard pipes where PVC. Their are some slight (small) dfferences in the two runs under boost.

The other runs saw less max boost. I toned them down, got the belt issues under control, etc... will get those up soon.
leadfoot  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I can think of a couple of suggestions...
There is enough room on the 924 crank pulley to fit a six rib belt between the alternator and cam pulleys, not sure about an eight rib.
Otherwise you could go for a cogged pulley drive.
The other option would be to run a tensioner either side of the belt to get more wrap on the sc drive. This will probably be the easiest to do.
I'm sure you'll work it out....
Leadfoot
ESC944  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

endwrench  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leadfoot wrote:

There is enough room on the 924 crank pulley to fit a six rib belt between the alternator and cam pulleys, not sure about an eight rib.
Leadfoot

Is this where you drive your supercharger? I don't know what setup you have but it must have been one with A/C because I coudn't even get a 1/4" thick crank trigger in there on mine without hitting the oil pump! My supercharger drive (6 rib serpentine) is mounted forward of the alternator drive pulley.

Todd
ESC944  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribbed belts are not the only solution. See a roots style depends on a single pulley for is drive ratio.

Beauty of Centrifigal Unit is the multiple ratios, in other words you are using an external drive ratio and an internal ratio.

So the external belt, regardless of configuration, does not have to carry the full load, in fact it is quite possible to maintain a similar ratio to the alternator and these are frequently a 3 or 4:1 ratio. Of course that might not be ideal for a high boost configuration. But for 5-6 PSI its fine. Then next overdrive ratio is internal.

Might have to go and make some sweet looking billet pulleys hahaha

Alternator belts don't slip off and tear appart frequently, they do wear out, but thats a seperate issue. Point is, a v belt can handle significant loads and is usually much smaller than a ribbed setup. Of course the ribbed setup has its merits.

Alternator pulleys and belts are both ribbed and v-belt depending on the make and model of car. In the case of the 924 we are looking at V belts.

Same age old tech can be applied to the C-SC. V belt can be used to drive the supecharger externally. Piece of cake and simple install.

In fact a dual belt setup could be placed on the Alternator assuming it could 1.) be fitted (enought shaft) and 2.) the bearings could handle the additional load placed on them when driving the supercharger. No 20 year old alternator is going to do this. But using my 200 AMP upgrade unit, well lets just say its possible and leave it at that.

Ideally though with the 924 2.0 I see a serpentine v belt configuration. The 2.5 is a different animal.

Last edited by ESC944 on Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Helstrm  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how much would it cost to put this on a 2.5?
ESC944  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helstrm -- I have not set a HARD Price, but should be south of 2k for a complete kit, depending on options

How does it compare?
Not to many kits on the market... SFR being the common their kits:
Stage One kit is over 4500.00, down from over 6k
Stage two is around almost 6000 if I remember correctly.
Just to much!

It will be worth the money if you spend it.

Last edited by ESC944 on Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
ESC944  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so since Helstrm brought it up, perhaps others would want to comment on how much they think it should cost, or how much they are willing to pay.... of course that is opening a can of worms, cause someone is sure to post; free or some other nonsense.

Lets try to stay focused kids, thats hard even for me, but try and lets here some comments.

Funny when I suggest things, every one has some thing to say usually, soon as I build something... everyone gets quiet go figure!
macBdog  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESC944 wrote:
Funny when I suggest things, every one has some thing to say usually, soon as I build something... everyone gets quiet go figure!

Personally, I am in awe of the ability and knowledge shown with this and your previous projects. When everyone is talking about something thats going to happen its easy to suggest this or that because its all speculative.

But now youve built it its obvious that you have way more knowledge than the average home mechanic and its hard to post cos I don't think I could contribute anything meaningful accept: WOW, that is awesome, if I didnt have a turbo I'd get one.
I'm still convinced the word 'Porsche' makes people crazy in all kinds of ways
leadfoot  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might have to cut some of the lower camshaft gaurd off, but there should be enough room for and 8 rib. The thing I liked about the five belt pulley is that it's the similar size width to the stock cam belt so I could use the same tensioner, I'll get a spare so if either go then I've got a replacement handy. The RPM limit of the tensioner was well within limits of max load RPM. Belts are common, cheap and long lasting.
I did have aircon and looked at driving with a v belt, but I would have lost the use of electromagnetic clutch in the supercharger.
I still have the origional pulley if anyone wants it.... also I am having a new crank pulley made up so I will be selling the old aluminium one. It would be ideal for running with an SC14 if someone so desires.
Leadfoot
Helstrm  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESC944 wrote:
Ok so since Helstrm brought it up, perhaps others would want to comment on how much they think it should cost, or how much they are willing to pay.... of course that is opening a can of worms, cause someone is sure to post; free or some other nonsense.

Lets try to stay focused kids, thats hard even for me, but try and lets here some comments.

I don't even want to attempt pulling a price out of the air, Since I have no idea how much time or $$ has gone into your project. I think for the most part I was looking for a ball park.. 2k - 3k Just to give us an idea. Cost seems to be a big factor when it comes down to it. Everyone wants more power but how much are they willing to spend per HP?
I think it is great that someone is taking the time to play with all the ideas that most people dismiss. I know that I will buy one if I can keep the wife out of the mall long enough.

I knew there was a reason I put ARP head studs and a Widefire gasket on my NA....
leadfoot  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First you will need to define "KIT", as extra fueling, injector sealing, crank pulley, belts, idler and mounting hardware have not been dicussed. Do SFR include installation in their costs??
It might be better to just sell the "product for what you think is reasonable.
Considering a similar device, like a powerdyne, vortec etc is around 2/3 grand AUS if you can halve that you've got yourself a big market.
Mind you theirs include warranties.... You did say you were using a "used" turbo compressor, how long is this going to last?? or are you planning on using a new one.
A "new" turbo is around 1/2 grand AUS as a rough equivelent.
A used turbo/supercharger is 500 dolars AUS.

Threfore I think in it's current position your looking at around 1 grand AUS per item considering that some are new and some are old parts. If you made up a "KIT" then you can justify the extra cost somewhat as I believe that downtime is also a cost that can be factored in.
Leadfoot
ESC944  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well a bolt on kit would be complete.

No SFR -- speed force racing doesnt offer installation in their prices.

If its a D-I-Y kit, it may be less than complete, with options via ala cart.

I will get into this more later, thier are a few ways of looking at this.

Last edited by ESC944 on Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
leadfoot  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very true and their are good kits and bad kits... it also makes the SFR kit expensive eh...
Another thought if your going to run with a V belt is to find a location that the air con pulley will line up with. If you get a little tricky and size the sc pulley to run of the same belt... then all those people with air con can keep it installed and the ones without will have a readily available crank pulley they can bolt in, this would be a bonus.
Leadfoot
ESC944  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way, way ahead of you... can we all say Serpentine! Got a few prototypes. Final work on the 924 NA will commence when I have the 924 NA in my hands. _CORRECTION: work will be done by a friend._

I can go a lot of ways with the belt, everything from a standard v-belt Serpentine, to a multi-rib. My setup is so universal it should be outlawed.

As for kits well I have not decided on all the options.

Still lets say to start you would be looking at a 6 PSI. Safe and easy on the motor. The kit would include everything needed. Pipes, fittings, etc... I would of course offer upgrades. Or you get the basics and sort it out, price would reflect what you get.

I think of it more of a custom kit even in production trim. That is their will be a base kit, if you want more boost or extras, I set you up with what you want.

I have sources for custom chips for the DME cars, I can do fuel upgrades for CIS, Stand alone EFI, individual throttle bodies... blah blah blah. Their isnt a real limit to what I could include in a "kit".

Sort of a no frills setup: instructions and parts.

Durability is as good if not better than the units on the market.
It is built to be as bullet and idiot proof as possible.

Last edited by ESC944 on Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: