Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

manual to automatic windows

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mantise  

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject: manual to automatic windows Reply with quote

hi i had a question. i have a 924s 1988 with manual windows. and i want to make them automatic. what would i need for this conversion. some guy i know is selling his 924 for parts and i was thinking of just buying his doors. any1 have any advice for me. thanks in advance
Lizard  

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all 1988 924S came with electric windows, or are you talking auto by clapping your hands haha
but that means that someone has previously converted it to manuals
gohim  

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, all the 88 924S cars did not come with power windows.

There was a special Competition Edition that came from the factory with a number of weight saving delete items, and in many cases limited slip.

I think there were only about 200 of those cars in the US. Should be missing the power windows, and also missing the sunroof.

Since these are rare cars, altering one in good original condition is a crime.

If you want to screw a car up, why not buy one of Jaxpro's beaters? He has two recently repainted 924S cars for sale on eBay according to the message he left in the For Sale Section.
924guy  

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you want to switch over to power windows, i beleive you will indeed need complete doors, as the tracks are different, and i dont think they are swapable (but im not positive .) you will also need to add a relay circuit, and wiring for both doors, and if your going to use 924 doors, you will loose your front door speakers if you have them.
another alternative is adding a power window "kit" , some use a belt system to turn the regulators, and its less invasive than complete door replacement.

an 88 with manual windows is indeed a rare bird though, and there are very few late model competition editions left, id look into it a bit more before you change anything major..
99' VehiCross
Y2K Honda Insight
http://www.cardomain.com/id/924Guy
Performance by Pasha
Vince Ponz  

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both motors and the parts to make the change.

My car a 1988 924S did not have power windows or powered rear view mirrors. No heat in the rears mirrors either. No sun roof. Only drivers side mirror, very thin material in the seats and doors etc. Special air in the tires too.
Also very light blinker fluid in the tail lights.
88 924S SE
87 911 Targa stock
CMXXXI  

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The parts used are all the same, early 924 through late 924S. You will need the motors and transmissions, and the scissors mechanism. Nothing is swappable from side to side though. In addition to that hardware, you will need the switches and the wiring harness & relay (the harness has the relay socket built in to it.)

Actually it is quite an easy job except for getting the harness routed and hooked up. The old regulators unscrew and the new ones use the same mounting holes.

I did the upgrade about 2 years ago and have never regretted it.
J1NX3D  

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol vince
mantise  

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all your replies. i found a kit on ebay which encludes alot of stuff including power windows. the link is below can any1 tell me will this work with my car. thanks in advance

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=48611&item=5776486973&rd=1
D Hook  

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked to see if your car is a special edition yet? I'd look into that before you modify it, like Vince said. It may decrease its' value by making the modification, IF it is a special edition.

Can you find someone who has tried one of those universal kits to see if they're as universal as they say they are?

I'd do some more research before spending that kind of money on a kit. Maybe talk to someone here on the board that's already made the modification and see how difficult/expensive it was. CMXXXI has done the switch. Maybe pick his brain a little more.

If you need the regulators and motors, I've got a matched set that will go right in. Don't have any of the wiring harness though.

The electric windows are nice but there is a certain charm to the car keeping it just the way it came from the factory. Especially the '88's with the weight reduction package that Vince was talking about. Supposed to be faster than the 944, too.
CMXXXI  

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd save your money... I've always been skeptical about those aftermarket kits. I don't really believe the "one size fits all" pitch on this sort of stuff.

I bought the motors/regulators on eBay for $12 per side plus shipping. Switches/bezels were also eBay items for about $40 total and I bought the wiring harness/relay off a board member for (I think) $25.
mantise  

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so how do i find out if my car is a collectors edition
CMXXXI  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably the only way to truly validate it is to get the car's pedigree from Porsche. For a fee, you can get the factory to supply you with a "Certificate of Authenticity" of sorts. I believe you get a real certificate and a build list of some sort. I don't know the fee or the details of what you get for your money.

I think there are a few Board members who have gotten the documents, maybe one of them can chime in with first hand information.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: