Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

supercharger conversion pictures
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leadfoot  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: supercharger conversion update notes 22/7/06 Reply with quote

Last week I returned "little wheezer" as it's now going to be known to the dyno in order to confirm running air/fuel ratios...
needles to say that I wasn't very impressed, not only were the ratios way into the lean side of running for a forced induction engine but the figures were also less than impressive, measuring less than when I had the last dyno session at a whopping 82 RWHP not quite what I expected....
So not having enough time at the shop I had the air/fuel ratios made a little better and vowed to return next weekend...

So after spending a few hours on the dyno today there's good and bad news...

Firstly the good news...
After sorting out the fuel maps power started to make a turn for the better, each run netted a few more ponies and as the air/fuel ratios started to head toward 12.5 (some from 14.5 I might add) I started to see the results of coming back...
power was climbing from 80 through 90 and rest somewher around 94 RWHP

Enter ignition timing...
Working with the better fuel mapp ignition advance was added closesly monitoring for detonation. Quite suprised at just how much advance the little sucker was responding to the dyno operator wound it up a couple of times to increase power almost instanly to 112 RWHP...

30 RWHP in two hours, I was liking how the number were coming up... although not quite convinced with that being the last straw here comes the bad news... I had been told by a couple of people that my intake manifold for the blower might be choking off performance, so let's take off the air filter and bypass valve to let in as much air as possible and do one final run...
Well my figures jumped another 14 RWHP instantly and improvements from 3000 RPM and up were clearly visible, with 1 more psi regisreing on the dyno too, so I have a job in making a new manifold.
So quite happy with a total of 126 RWHP and with a dyno plot that looks like a different car I'll leave this one for a while Until I get the new manifold built... Needles to say I think there's at least another 10 RWHP probably more very obtainable in the current setup...
There is still a dip in response from 4500 up where the added airflow caused the load to move up a cell in the map and the mixtures went to the side of very rich at 11.5, but this can wait a while...
all in all starting to see the modifications pay off... the dyno operater was thinking around 40 HP in drivetrain loss, even if you put this at 20% it's around 150 BHP, I was thinking roughly 165BHP... I let ya know when little wheezer makes it there...
Leadfoot
endwrench  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, this is good stuff! I bet it was a lot more fun to drive home!!

What size is that tube for your intake to the blower? ID. Looks like 2 1\4" (60mm?) or so? I've been meaning to install a port on mine to measure any restriction in terms of vacuum on mine. I will if you will! It would be interesting to see the difference. If you remember (why would you ) mine uses a 3 inch (75mm?) mandrel bent tube into a small plenum chamber before entering the blower. I'm also using an E-bay cone filter I am a little suspect of. One more reason for the port.

I'll also be interested if a larger intake increases the noise factor. Mine is ungodly noisy!! What kind of airfilter setup do you have?

Todd
Khal  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh... my factory huffer still puts out more power.

(I couldn't resist. Nice work, though. That's a goodly amount of extra power over stock)
leadfoot  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes... from 2500RPM up it was very fun...

Intake is 63mm, the bypass is 25mm and a K+N cone filter with a 3" inlet... so definately changing to a 3", yours should be fine at 3" todd...
I'm thinking I might remake the outlet manifold too now using a 2.5"outlet...

It's definately louder with the bypass and filter off !!

What was yours Khal 150RWHP ?? not too far away ... ehehehe
leadfoot
J1NX3D  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

love your work!!

126rwhp is about as good as a US spec 931?!!
Raceboy  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J1NX3D wrote:
love your work!!

126rwhp is about as good as a US spec 931?!!

Actually it's better, not to mention the torque curve of the supercharger vs turbo.
'78 924 Carrera GT replica
'84 928 S, sold
'91 944 S2, sold
'82 924S/931 "Gulf", sold
'84 924, turbocharged, sold.
http://www.facebook.com/vemsporsche
Min  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raceboy wrote:
Actually it's better, not to mention the torque curve of the supercharger vs turbo.

And don't forget that he has 9.3:1 compression pistons.

Min
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Khal  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leadfoot wrote:
What was yours Khal 150RWHP ?? not too far away ... ehehehe
leadfoot

Oh, I don't doubt you can get it there. Maybe even top it. But I didn't have to do anything to mine...
Keaton  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leadfoot do you still have a stock NA drive train (cluch, torque tube and gear box)
how much of a differance does that extra 82 hp make
leadfoot  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys... getting there eventually...
Khal I guess that leaves more time for beer drinking doesn't it!! It's about time you put an intercooler on your car and wound the boost up...

Keaton, drivetrain is stock, most people I've spoken to rate the torque tube at 225hp and the gearbox at 200hp, will see if it holds I guess...
BTW I have no idea what the clutch is rated at?? so far there's no slip..
Leadfoot
IanJ  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow thats an excellent result.

I haven't been on here for a while. I sold my 924S when i moved to Perth. I now have a 4AGZE corolla as i couldn't bring myself to pay Aus prices for 924/944's (yet).

I am planning on upgrading to the SC14 supercharger. These are available for $3-400 AUD and give almost (slight modding and bracket mfg) bolt on extra horses to the 4AGZE (quotes of up to 30bhp with no additional tuning). I'd guess you'd be able to go the same route easier than i will with the corolla.

Nice work!
Ian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: